“Great Hotel but Inexperienced Manager”
Review of Queensberry Hotel

Queensberry Hotel
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We chose the Queensberry for our family trip to Bath as part of our visit to the UK from the States. Booked 2 rooms for two nights. Lovely rooms but be warned it is noisy to 2 to 3 am on Russell Street due to revelers returning from the pubs. Add to that loud motorbikes and occasional barking dog and you begin to wonder if the location is that suitable. The continental breakfast and self serve tea and coffee are excellent. We chose not to dine there as we wished to experience the local eateries. The manager on site was not suitably experienced for a hotel of this caliber, ready to charge an additional 2% on my gratuity to the staff because I chose to use American Express, and surprisingly not terribly knowledgeable of the local area. Thankfully a more senior manager (perhaps the regular manager?) advised her not to charge the additional 2% on the gratuity. I am disappointed that there would be such a surcharge since I reserved with Amex to begin with without any warning of this policy. Overall the hotel and general staff are wonderful, the location if you seek a restful nights sleep is iffy the financial terms are odd and the manager ill experienced.

Room Tip: I presume one should ask for the garden side.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Lauren M, General Manager at Queensberry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear "Manish G"

I have to confess to being somewhat confused by your review as I did not have the pleasure of meeting you during your stay of upon your departure.

Having discussed your review with my team it soon became clear that you were checked out by the newest member of the reception team who was in the process of being trained under close supervision of my Front of House Manager. We do endeavour to make our Amex charge absolutely clear in our confirmations, in house material and upon check out.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast service and complimentary tea and coffee and hope to have the opportunity to introduce myself when you next visit Bath.

Warm regards

Lauren McCann

Write a ReviewReviews (1,437)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed in the Queensbury Hotel for our 1 night in Bath and both really enjoyed the experience. We arrived to discover that we had been upgraded. The room was beautiful. The location of the hotel was very good also-only a 5 minute walk into the centre.
Breakfast was very tasty.
We'd definitively stay again.

1  Thank Eoin D

Dear Eoin D

Thank you for your lovely review.

We always endeavour to upgrade guests that book directly with us and I am delighted that we were able to do this for your recent stay.

I hope that you may be able to stay for a little longer next time and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Lauren McCann

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Yep, it costs plenty but you won't be disappointed. Very comfortable, luxurious rooms. Pleasant staff and good location. Nice continental breakfast, gourmet restaurant, tea and coffee served throughout the day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jtmason
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our previous stay in Bath was at Aspley House so this had a lot to live up to. We booked directly and asked for a quiet room. We were given room 22. At the top overlooking the gardens, it had a great view and was quiet (well we were woken on the first night by a seagull but that's hardly the hotels' fault). The only down side was that because it was at the top, the bathroom had a low roof and I had to duck to get my head under the shower head (but I am 6' 2"). The bathroom was also a looking a little tired and the toilet flush took a little getting used to but the water pressure of the shower was fantastic. The room itself was lovely and spacious – I understand 22 is one of the bigger standard rooms. The bed was a little soft for my taste but that’s just a personal opinion. The ever helpful staff took us to our room where a complimentary bottle of Presseco was waiting. We got a £10 discount for arriving by train but a word of warning – it is a bit of walk uphill from the station so unless you’re feeling energetic, blow your saving on a taxi.

1  Thank Tracste
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a small quaint amazing hotel, this is the place for you. The service could not be better. It is a small hotel with 25 rooms (around). Everyone knows your name. Service is personalized to your needs. The restaurant served us the best meal we have had in our lives. As we come from
NYC, that is saying something.
I alerted the hotel to my food allergies. They not only made special dishes for us, they had personal menus for us with our choices there.
I would like to say more but suffice it to say that this hotel is a gem and their restaurant will be missed when we leave.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 1 August 2014

A nice location just off the beaten track but easily accessible, friendly staff and a beautiful property with classic and modern style mixed, a real treat in the heart of a beautiful city, a pleasure to be enjoyed...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We've stayed at the Queensberry many times and each time we do, we are reminded why we keep coming back. Friendly and professional service, very comfortable rooms and the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in. The location is good too, as is the Olive Tree restaurant.
We will be going back later this year.

Room Tip: The attic rooms are good, but not as luxurious as the rooms on the lower floors