“Overpriced for nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Queensberry Hotel

Queensberry Hotel
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Overpriced for nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

I have stayed in better hotels in better locations for much less than I payed for 2 nights at the Queensberry. Prices are expensive especially when you consider the hotel has no Car park (the valet car parking means your car could be parked on a nearby street) and neither does it have a Bar or Leisure facilities. Breakfast is also not included in the price which is also expensive.

1 Thank hawks9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2009

The Queensberry hotel is what many would argue is what a perfect boutique hotel should be. Stylish and tastefully designed, but with a sense of 'home from home'.

It was perfect for the romantic getaway that my partner and I were looking for, and did not disappoint. The rooms were spacious, the staff unbelievably helpful and courteous, and the food we ate during our stay in the restaurant was delicious.

The layout of the hotel is somewhat confusing - many different levels that veer off in many different directions but along with the beautiful fire in the drawing room - it oozed character.

The only slight disappointment was that on arrival, on a cold November night, the heating in our room had not been turned on and the rather antiquated heating system took a fair while to kick in (and heat the room at all). It obviously didn't help that it was below a really drafty single-glazed window but it was really only a minor fault.

Beware if you don't like incredibly soft beds - although I slept very well my partner has since said it was quite possibly the worst nights sleep of his life. I guess you can't have it all...!!

Perfectly located for all the sites in and around Bath (all within a good walking distance) and the valet parking / afternoon tea was a lovely touch too (as most places I've stayed at charge for this).

I recommend shopping around for a room rate - it's amazing what bargains you can find ( we certainly did...!)

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

My husband took me away to Bath for the weekend for my 30th birthday. I had read lots of reviews about the hotel and have to say the hotel lived up to them all. The room was very big and modern. We ordered drinks in the room and we got nibbles with them. I think the little touches like this say a lot about the hotel. My husband did advise the hotel it was my birthday and they gave me a small box of chocolates which I thought was a nice touch until I saw someone elses review where they got a complimentary room up grade and a bottle of bubbly so I'm a little bit disappointed. The location of the hotel is excellent very close to all the sights. The only thing I would say about the room is that the bathroom didn't seem to be in keeping with the bedroom, the fixtures and fittings didn't match the quality of the bedroom decor.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2009

The room was gorgeous and clean. The hotel functions to provide a luxurious feeling while being environmentally friendly. Excellent! The staff were so kind and helpful. The in house restaurant was fantastic though the desserts were delicious, they were a bit skimpy. The locations is a little off the beaten path but still very well located. There is no functioning internet service within the rooms themselves but you can use the wireless service in the lounges. I wouldn't let that stop me from staying there again. Noise does travel through the walls/floors quite easily but this was only noted in the early evening. All in all, a beautiful and relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed March 2009
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one night after finding it in a local leaflet (and then reading reviews here on TripAdvisor). As it was near to Christmas we booked the Christmas market specials with an inclusive price for room, dinner (up to the value of £75 with wine), breakfast and a half bottle of champagne.

Arrival saw our car whisked away for the night and shown to our room on the first floor. The champagne arrived shortly after.

The room was lovely, nicely decorated, plenty of space and light and airy. We did feel quite warm in the room (but hubby and I generally are) and found a fan in the wardrobe which was very welcome. Bed was a very good size and the mattress was to our taste. Two bottles of water (one still one fizzy) were already in the room (but I don't whether this is replaced on a daily basis).

The bathroom was a good size and the bath deep enough to relax in. Power shower great too and loads of hot water. Toiletries were provided along with towels and robes.

Bath city centre was only a couple of mintues walk away (which I had to do since I had fogotten to pack shoes, but no chain shoe shops that are reasonably priced, I ended up at Clarks).

Dinner in the Olive Tree under the hotel was absolutely gorgeous, and we did have the full three courses. Slightly over our £75 budget but not by much.

Breakfast the following morning was prepared fresh for those wanting a hot one. Toast and croissants arrive shortly after you sit. You are then welcome to choose anything cold (i.e. danish, fruit etc).

After breakfast we walked into Bath City and went round the Roman Baths. A lovely place to go if you have a couple of hours to kill. The staff of the hotel brought the car back to us when we walked back.

I would stay at this hotel again but probably not with the dinner option. As Bath city is so nearby there are some very good places to eat that won't blow the budget.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
West Yorkshire England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2009

We tried to book the day before our stay their advertised £99 per room per night special offer direct with the hotel which told us that they had no rooms available at that price. So we booked exactly the same deal via the internet and, lo and behold, we got a room! When we arrived we liked the look of the menu enough to upgrade our package to include meals. As a result the hotel ended up with £202 of business which they initially turned down and, in retrospect, they might like to review their booking policy which we found rather strange.
But that was the only problem as, otherwise, our stay was superb. The hotel is only about a 10 minute walk - if that - from the centre of Bath and is, therefore, very well situated. There are no parking facilities at the hotel but on arrival our car was driven away to be parked somewhere overnight (I thought it best not to ask!) and it arrived back quickly on request the following morning. We were well and efficiently greeted at reception and taken upstairs (there is a lift) to our rooms.
Our room was upgraded (maybe they actually didn't have a room) and it was superb. It was large with a towering ceiling and very well furnished with more than enough room for a two-seater settee and a chair. The bathroom was also huge and plush with one the best baths I have ever experienced in a hotel - large with a really good flow of hot water and plenty of toiletries.
We had the Table d' Hote menu at dinner and it was superb. The food was extremely flavoursome and exquisitely presented and it was one of the best meals we have had for some considerable time. In my opinion any restaurant which does fish well but delicately with flavour but not submerged in sauce is a good one and they got it spot on. The service was also excellent, attentive without being overbearing in any way. Our breakfast was freshly cooked to order - none of this luke-warm buffet stuff which is so prevalent in British hotels - and was also tasty and well served. Additional coffee and toast were given to us without fuss. And I forgot to add that the restaurant surroundings were tasteful - especially in the evening.
In the morning, we were again well received at reception, our bill was correct, our car was conjured up and we went on our way more than satisfied with our stay. From what we experienced it is a really good hotel which manages to put it all together and I would happily recommend it.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

We chose the Queensberry on the strength of Tripadvisor reviews and they proved to be spot on.

The location is excellent, all the sights of Bath within easy walking distance, yet the street was (mostly) very quiet while we were there.

We had a deluxe double room on the second floor (no lift), a large light room with an enormous and luxurious bed and a comfortable sitting area, 2 large windows overlooking the street. Also an entrance lobby with large walk-in cupboard and an enormous marbled bathroom with another window overlooking the street. (and a fabulous power shower).

The way that the hotel has been decorated is a revelation, not an inch of chintz that I could see! In our room the furniture is modern with white black-out blinds on the windows instead of curtains, a creamy coloured carpet, pale blue walls, white woodwork. The theme throughout is delicate shades of blue/gray/green/cream which perfectly enhances the Georgian architectural style. From the furnishings to bed linen, towels, bathrobes etc, everything looks top quality.

The staff, in both the hotel and restaurant are friendly and attentive. We were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary and a bottle of champage on ice awaited us in our room. There was a slight initial glitch when I emailed the management requesting information about any special deals and this was not given to me in the reply though I did find deals on their website.

The hotel and the restaurant are pricey but everything about the Queensberry is so special that I think the high prices are probably justified and I would certainly recommend this hotel.