“Best Christmas Ever”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dover
“Best Christmas Ever”
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I've stayed at the Queensberry a few times before so I knew what to expect. This is a beautiful spotlessly clean and friendly hotel. The food is outstanding so I'd recommend eating there. I saw a few new faces from the last time I was there, they were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms are so spacious with king size beds. I've already booked our Easter break at the Queensberry, as I was afraid they would be fully booked if I left it nearer the date, because I nearly didn't stay there for Christmas, but I was lucky enough to get the last room available. I recommend the Queensberry hotel and to book early as the rooms go very quickly. We had a brilliant Christmas breakfast, lunch and dinner, our best Christmas day ever. Boxing day was just as good as our family arrived in the afternoon and we all enjoyed a lovely evening meal. We ended up not leaving the hotel for 4 days because we had such a great time there.

1 Thank Nickyamcc123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2009

I booked a night at the Queensberry for a day away with my partner, having a long-distance relationship we don't see each other often so I decided to pay the extra for a nicer hotel hoping that it would make the experience that little bit more special.

First impressions were good, the valet parking is a great idea, the place is beautifully furnished, the bedroom (room 11) was spacious and the bathroom nice, with robes and White Company toiletries.

We had a lovely dinner at The Olive Tree, which though expensive was really great for a special occasion. Over dinner, my boyfriend proposed and I thought the evening couldn't be more perfect.

So imagine how I felt when we returned to our room to find a letter on the bed informing me that the staff had found evidence of smoking in our bedroom and we would be charged £150 for cleaning the room! I was very upset to be wrongly accused of smoking in the room and no happy about the charge either, which was more than our room cost, so I went to speak to the night duty manager. He was sympathetic but unable to do anything until the general manager returned in the morning, so we had no choice but to go to bed with this hanging over us, completely spoiling what had been a very romantic and special occasion.

In the morning we received an apology from the manager and we weren't charged, but I am very disappointed that I paid extra for a nice hotel hoping for an exceptional experience and I don't feel I got what I paid for as the whole trip was spoiled.

I understand hotels can't allow smoking indoors but I would ask the Queensberry to rectify two things:

1. Make sure there is clear evidence of smoking, perhaps not based on one person's experience (I suspect it was the lady who came to turn down our room as we were leaving for dinner, my partner had just been outside for a cigarette)

2. Think about how you go about making these accusations - a letter left on the bed at night gives no opportunity for discussion and ensures your guest will have to spend the night with the accusation hanging over them

5 Thank Traveller9057
Cotswolds
Reviewed 8 December 2009

We've stayed at the Queensberry twice now and would highly recommend it. We booked a standard room and were delighted with the size of it and the very large bathroom. The rooms are very comfortable and well equipeed for a hotel of this category. There is a flat screen TV with DVD player plus a CD player with facility to dock an Ipod. The bathrooms have generous amounts of White Company toiletries plus fluffy bathrobes. The staff are lovely and very helpful. The valet car parking is particularly handy and the gentleman that brought our car even packed it for us and recommended the best route out of town. The standard of service is generally a cut above the norm.

The hotel is very well placed for the centre of Bath.

I note the comments in some of the reviews about lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, but we found that staff were happy to bring up tea whenever we wanted it. It would, however, be good to be able to order a cooked breakfast in your room, although the continental breakfast was fine.

We will be back!

2 Thank LongboroughLass
London
Reviewed 14 November 2009

This hotel is right in the centre of Bath which is perfect for sightseeing and our room and bathroom were furnished tastefully with generous quantities of toiletries in the large bathroom. Our stay should have been lovely, but we had a sleepless night due to the constant noise of traffic and more annoyingly the rowdy shouting and singing from copious groups of people walking past throughout the night, even though we stayed on a week day. Do not accept a room overlooking Russel Street if you want to sleep. The restaurant was also disappointing. Muddled but well meaning service - for both our dinner and breakfast two people seemed to be waiting on our table so we were asked about everything twice. Waiting staff also did not have any knowledge of the food they were serving (eg didn't know whether the kippers served at breakfast were frozen or not - they are. More amusingly - we ordered the selection of West Country cheeses for dinner and asked what they were. The waiter told us one was Gorgonzola - a well known West Country cheese! - it was infact Stilton. He thought the accompanying fruit bread was also cheese and went off to find out what it was called). Portions were small and it is just stingy to cut up a mushroom and give you one small segment for the cooked breakfast. Likewise with 1/2 a baby turnip with the main course at dinner. Dirty cups and saucers at breakfast (lipstick on the cup) and horrible coffee also spoilt what could and should for £15pp have been a delicious breakfast. The staff are extremely friendly and this hotel could be fantastic but for the price it charges for dinner, bed and breakfast it needs to look at itself very critically and sort out the errors.

4 Thank Catherine64London
London, UK
Reviewed 10 November 2009

The Queensberry is a perfectly nice hotel, but nowhere near as cool/boutique/luxurious/special as it would like to think. It has the great good fortune to be in Bath where, as it would if it were in London, Oxford, Cambridge, York, Edinburgh or Stratford, it can and does price-up to gouge the foreign and domestic tourist alike. Yes the rooms are nice. Yes the cosmetics are quality and the towels are fluffy (the beds are too soft). But it ends there and to charge £170 for a bed for the night plus breakfast, plus an additional fee if paying by AMEX when you are not a full-on full-service hotel - and the Queensberry is not; there isn't even a front desk to speak of - is gouging and make no mistake. But there are few hotels in this above-mid price but not very expensive category in Bath and so the owners will continue doing what logic suggests they should do - charge like the Light Brigade. You choose whether to support them. One tip: do not accept a room at the front if you are any kind of light sleeper, at least over the weekend: Russell Street is a major conduit for p1ssheads going home in the small hours.

3 Thank TheOldTiger
UK
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Do the managemant not read these reviews? Put a kettle and beverages in the rooms! It's so basic, and everyone mentions it. We were told that complimetary tea and coffee was available only in the lounge...but we were on holiday and didn't want to have to dress and go into the public areas just for a simple cuppa. The room was lovely, the fake dusty flower arrangement wasn't. Nice garden and public lounges. Friendly barman and staff. Car valet service is brilliant - such a help. Bath is pretty expensive anyway, but with just a bit more effort the Queensberry could be had and shoulders above other hotels. As things are at the moment, it isn't.

3 Thank Bubblebooo
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Reviewed 4 November 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Queensberry Hotel for 3 nights in late September 2009. We booked a Classic Double and were in Room 14 overlooking Russel Street. The location was perfect for us. The street was quiet, but walking distance from great restaurants and all the sights in Bath. We walked from the train station with our luggage, but I recommend taking a taxi since it is somewhat uphill. Our spacious room was appointed with an eclectic mix of modern and antique furnishings in subdues tones. The double bed seemed like a queen and was very comfortable with wonderful linens. The room was classy and relaxing. The large marble bath was airy, with a window to the street. We rented a car, and had no trouble parking since a valet quickly parked it for us or brought it up front whenever we needed it. We enjoyed daily tea and coffee in the lobby in late afternoon. We had dinner at the Olive Tree Restaurant, and it was pricey but fantastic! We enjoyed the continental breakfast at the Olive Tree Restaurant, which was 10 pounds a person. It was delicious with toast, pastries, breads, jams, fruit, cereals, 3 juices, cheeses and cold ham, tea and coffee, and milk. We also had a great meal at The Hole in the Wall Restaurant. We loved the Queensberry, and definitely recommend it. We plan to stay there on our next visit.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple