“A fine hotel”

Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Bath
boyle
“A fine hotel”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I and my wife stayed here on saturday 22nd June .we were met by the lovely Carole who made us feel at home as soon as we arrived.She made sure we were given our parking permit straight away and then helped my wife with her bag to our room on the top floor,telling us as we climbed that this house was as it was built that pleased me as i had not being in a real georgian house before,the food was just first class and as for the staff well what wonderful people they were. I will return to Bath as our visit was too short and i will def' stay at the dukes again .

Room Tip: Get yourself an upgrade
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Equally thank you for the very strong recommendation – we look forward to welcoming you both on your return to Bath. Delighted that you enjoyed Dukes, a true opportunity to live in a Georgian home. We consider ourselves to be the fortunate custodians of two wonderful, antique Georgian townhouses and take great pleasure in the enjoyment that she offers guests. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed one night here. It is very convenient to explore Bath Centre. They organised free parking for us. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The room was large, with a good view over the Rugby Clubs side grounds looking towards the opposite Hill where the University is situated. The only drawback was the lack of a lift... however, the main charm of the place is that it is an old building. Despite this, apart from a lift, it was not lacking an any comforts. We enjoyed an excellent breakfast the next morning. And I would go back again.

Room Tip: Sorry, but we were only in one room, looking out the back of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John R
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Thank you for writing a review. As you note we do not have the benefit of a lift and endeavour to ensure guests are aware of this at the time of booking. In many ways this is part of the magnificence and history of these 200 year old antiques. As a Grade 1 listed building we are unable to fashion any enhancements or changes to the fabric of the property. This ‘restriction’ does however prompt a fuller appreciation of the ‘Georgian era’ and the heritage of the property. We are always very happy to assist with transporting moderate luggage – alternatively we offer rooms on the ground floor and lower floor levels. Many thanks.
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We visited this amazing hotel again back in May - we just keep coming back!

I don't know what else I can say that hasn't already been said about this wonderful hotel - location is perfect for a lovely stroll into town, amazingly quiet, incredibly comfortable, wonderful breakfast - and the welcome we receive from Carole, Christopher & Mike is always so, so special.

It's safe to say that this hotel is the best hotel I have EVER stayed in taking into everything into account, and we cannot wait until our next visit!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write. We are delighted that you choose to return to visit Bath and that you stay with us here at Dukes. As with old friends we love to share the comfort (and idiosyncrasies) of our antique property with those who truly enjoy the location, our breakfast and the attentive service that we all enjoy providing. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you late summer.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for the weekend as part of our anniversary celebrations.

Pros-
Excellent professional yet friendly service
Literally a 5 star a la carte breakfast
Brilliant tourist advice
Generosity of a gift and provision of extra amenities (heated) as required
Lovely bathroom, power shower and amenites

Cons
Thin walls/ ceiling so slightly disturbed by a wedding party (although with warning and profuse apologies!)
Very slightly dated room (although we are used to sleek modern finishes- many would find this cute, cosy and of character)

As frequent travellers we do highly recommend this B&B to you.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a very constructive and informative review. I think that you have very fairly commented on your stay. As you mention the property is old, the floorboards do squeak and the rather large sash windows rattle. I think the décor is dated, faded and familiar and we would not hide from these true observations……….all said, thank you for your ‘highly recommended’ commendation and we look forward to your return to Bath.
UK
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My husband and I hadn't booked a hotel when we arrived and found this great hotel by chance which we are extremely happy about.
The staff were amazing and we have never been made to feel so welcome before and were great helping us take our lugguage to the top floor to the deluxe room which we had for 1 nite and had great views of the hills above us. They then moved us to a standard double room for the next night which was equally lovely with great views again. The staff were good enough to recommend places to eat and drink as well. The hotel is in a great location down an amazing road which was only 5minutes walk to the town which is an ideal location for any visitor to the city.
The breakfast we had was delicious and we were very happy with the choices we could choose from, especially the salmon and scrambled egg :-)
This is definitely a place I would recommend staying in and will be coming back again. It's great value for a great hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very complimentary review. Though we were ‘full’ at the time of your arrival and stay, I am delighted that your move from a ‘deluxe’ room to a ‘standard’ room was without any disruption to your enjoyment. I am pleased that your overall enjoyment, support from our team, breakfast and our property location insured you of a superb experience. With thanks.
Worthing
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights the first weekend in June and had an amazing time. I booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed, first off the location is amazing the hotel is situated in Great Pulteney street which is one of the most amazing street in the UK if not the world! The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the center of bath and is in a great location.

Before we arrived I emailed the hotel and asked for a free parking permit and when i arrived it was ready and waiting which saved me a lot of money on parking for 3 days. When we arrived we were shown to our room and the guy greeting us was really helpful and provided a map and told us how long it would take for us to walk to a number of the main sites.

The room we had was great with a comfy bed, great view and decent sized bathroom. One of the nights I asked for some glasses and ice for G&T and the duty manager kindly got me these plus some lemon and peanuts which was a nice touch. I also asked to refrigerate some champagne that I had brought with me and they did this plus provide me with some champagne glasses and an ice bucket which was also appreciated.

The breakfast was also really tasty and it is cooked to order which is always nicer than a buffet, they were also a number of things on the breakfast menu other than just a full english breakfast.

Overall my girlfriend and I loved this hotel the staff were really friendly and couldnt do enough to help us we would definitely return when we go back to bath!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a very comprehensive review. Whether reception, housekeeping, chef or breakfast service; each of our team have a passionate desire to present Dukes at her best. Equally, little is more rewarding than to feel that a guest has thoroughly enjoyed their stay – so thank you and we look forward to your return.
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed here for my husbands birthday weekend. We couldn't have been made to feel more welcome. Small touches such as fruit and chocolates in the room and a bottle of wine on ice and a birthday card as soon as they knew we were there for a celebration were lovely touches. The staff were great. The room was quirky Georgian splendour and it was an easy walk into central bath in the evening. Everything was clean and it was the comfiest hotel bed I have ever slept in.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing. Terrific to hear that we provided the ‘comfiest hotel bed ever’ and that your husbands birthday weekend was a full blown success. Thank you