“Dukes Hotel Bath”

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Dukes Hotel Bath”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Lovely hotel situated a short walk fro Poultney Bridge in Bath. The rooms are comfortable and have everything you would need. The staff are great! Friendly (Mike, your welcome was probably the best we have ever had at a hotel and for info The Full Monty was very funny @ The Royal!) and engaging. Lovely place to stay if you are in Bath for a few days.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Very pleased that Mike offered you ‘probably the best welcome ever’ and that you found Dukes a lovely place to stay. Our team share tremendous pride in presenting two wonderful antique Georgian townhouses, located on one of the finest boulevards in Europe; at her very best. With thanks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at the Duke for two nights mid December (very wet and windy) and although the weather was terrible, the room and the service received was very warm. The location of the hotel to the city and its attractions, along with the use of the car parking permit, meant we could be out an about without the need of transport. The room was lovely with a view accross the roof tops, however I will be asking for a lower floor room next time we visit. The level of care shown by the staff, to the extent of findng an Italian Restaurant we had been unable to locate as they had changed their name, was very much appreciated. Breakfast was plenteful and superbly cooked. We would highly recommend the Dukes!

Room Tip: When choosing your room you may want to find out on which floor the room is on especially if you are...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your ‘highly recommended’ commendation. As you note we are located in two Georgian townhouses. We welcome phone bookings as we delight in the opportunity of describing a room that may best meet your needs.
Delighted that we helped rediscover your ‘lost’ Italian. Many thanks.
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 4 February 2014

First, let me say, I highly recommend Dukes to anyone staying in Bath. I stayed at Dukes for 3 nights in January 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I was made to feel at home, and the staff, Michael in particular, was always there to help. I have given the hotel 4 stars, only because I can’t give it 4.5 stars. Everything really was wonderful, but there were a few minor things that, for me, meant I couldn’t give it 5 stars. The pros, the cons, and the could-be-a-pro-or-con depending on what you’re looking for, in my humble opinion, are as follows:

Pros:
1. The staff. As I said, the staff, Michael in particular, made me feel at home and welcome. Whether I needed to print off theatre tickets or needed a recommendation for dinner, the staff was always there to help. Simply outstanding.
2. The room. I stayed in the Wellington Suite during my stay and it was wonderful. The bedroom was huge and the bed was comfortable. There was a lovely sitting room, and the rooms had a great view of Great Pulteney Street. The street itself is relatively quiet at night as well, but the room is on the 2nd floor, making it even quieter. I never heard a thing at night. The bathroom was large, with a large tub/shower and a heated towel rack. Perfect for chilly January mornings.
3. The hotel. Just the feel of the hotel with its old world Victorian charm is something I enjoyed immensely. The décor certainly fits with the era, and while there is a bit of wear and tear here and there, it doesn’t take away from the charm.
4. The breakfast. It was very good, with a selection of continental and cooked options. All of them good from my experience.
5. This price. Now I must point out that my experience was extremely seasonal, and my stay qualified for their mid-week, low-season (Jan & Feb) special, so I paid MUCH less for a suite than I would normally have. As such, my experience was very positive and I felt the accommodation was worth far more than I paid.
6. Wifi. The hotel’s website mentions that the wifi in some rooms is a bit spotty, but I have to say, I never once had an issue with it, and it was always working and fast when I was online.

Cons:
I really must say, for me these were very minor, but I could see how they might be more important to others (my 83 year old nan, for example). So, here they are:
1. No elevator. This honestly did not bother me much, but with the classic high ceilings, each flight of stairs is twice the size of a normal “modern” building. They do mention this on their website, so it should come as no surprise to anyone, and as I said, the staff is always there to help. Elderly or physically challenged guests, however, might find this more difficult. There are, of course, lower floor rooms, though.
2. The building. As I said, the hotel itself is charming. The building itself, however, is a bit “creaky”. Certainly not unexpected from a building of its age, but I was always a bit conscientious of the floors loudly protesting when I walked around the room. I could also hear people in other rooms walking about, particularly in the morning. This might be a bit of a nuisance for light sleepers.
3. This is very minor and easily fixed, but the light in the hallway just outside of my room was burnt out and it was never replaced during my stay, making it a bit difficult each time I returned to my room to see the keyhole to open my door. I know I should have mentioned it, but it never occurred to me when speaking to staff. It still would have been good if it had been changed at some point during my stay.

The could be a pro or a con depending on your situation:
1. The location. Now this could be a pro for some, and I actually did enjoy it for the most part. The hotel itself, however, is not in the center of town and it is a bit of a walk across the Pulteney Bridge and down Great Pulteney Street to get there from the town center. This makes it nice and quiet at night, but for those not used or able to walk much distance, it could be a problem.
2. Pubs. This is certainly beyond Dukes control, but for those who enjoy the occasional pint, there also really isn’t a pub close to the hotel. It appears there is, or was, a pub called The Boatman (or Boathouse, or some “Boat” related name) on Great Pulteney Street near the roundabout, but it was closed the entire time I was there. I’m not sure if it was just temporarily closed or permanently closed, so my concern may be misplaced any other time. This does, however, also make the location that much quieter at night, so this may be a positive in the eyes of some.

Overall, as I said, I wish I could give Dukes 4.5 stars. It really is a beautifully charming hotel with friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable staff. I highly recommend Dukes to anyone planning a stay in Bath.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank NoneNixNada
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for the ‘highly recommended’ commendation.
We are very pleased that you found Dukes ‘beautiful’ with a ‘friendly, efficient and knowledgeable’ team. Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive, informative and very balanced review and I am pleased that you ‘thoroughly enjoyed your time’ with us here at Dukes.
Alderholt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We booked this hotel to accommodate the wedding party for our daughter's wedding on Saturday 1st February 2014. We booked all the rooms for our family and friends for the whole weekend and cannot thank Carole and Christopher and all the staff enough for doing everything they could to help make it an absolutely perfect weekend! Nothing was too much trouble. We booked the hotel in March 2013 and visited on a couple of occasions and emailed to sort out the details and when we arrived on Friday it was like visiting old friends and we received a wonderful warm welcome. All the rooms are absolutely beautiful, the breakfasts are superb and the warmth and hospitality we received second to none. My daughter and her new husband were made to feel very special indeed! My husband and I will definitely be returning to stay at Dukes again. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: Whichever room you choose you will not be disappointed - they are all beautiful!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
We are all delighted that you and your entire wedding party shared such an enjoyable weekend. Thank you for taking the time to write a kind and appreciative review.
For all in the team there is tremendous pleasure in sharing in the magic and excitement of a family wedding. We look forward to welcoming you both back to Dukes and happily extend the invitation to the other members of your party – the bride and groom in particular!! Thank you for the very positive recommendation.
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

What a lovely hotel. Everyone was just so polite and helpful. Such personal service. Loved the location and the fact we could walk into the city via the gorgeous bridge and river so easily. Our room, the Beaufort, was charming with a lovely sitting area and lots of windows. Congratulations on running such a fab place. We will be back that's for sure and have recommended to several pals already. Lovely breakfast choices too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Thank you for commending us to your friends – a wonderful plaudit. Dukes is a very grand, somewhat faded, antique Grade one listed property that does indeed exude Georgian charm. The Beaufort is a lovely light room overlooking Great Pulteney Street with glimpsed views of the Holburne Museum to the East. Our team endeavour to present this ‘old lady’ of Bath at her finest. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We welcome your return to Bath.
Cornwall
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Everyone we met at the hotel or talked to on the phone was charming. From other reviews we expected a friendly welcome and it made all the difference as we arrived on a wet and windy January afternoon.

Our "superior double" room on the top floor had everything that we needed in terms of modern comforts with furniture and pictures to suit the 18th century building and a fine view over the city to the south. Being old fuddy-duddies we would have preferred to have blankets to a duvet and had we been staying more than one night we might have asked for these.

Breakfast, which was served in the basement, was copious and set us up well for Saturday's sightseeing. For the infirm, it is 88 steps back up to the top floor, but there are also rooms you can book at ground level!

Parking is an issue in Bath so, if you come by car, remember to ask for a "resident's permit" when you make your booking. In January there were lots of empty spaces round the hotel, but I should imagine there are times when it may be necessary to go quite a way to find a vacant spot.

If we come back to Bath, we will definitely try and book in at Duke's Hotel. It is so well sited, the rooms are just right, the service is really friendly and in an expensive town their prices represent good value for money.

Room Tip: It's 88 steps from the breakfast room to the top floor and no lift
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for a delightful, informative and balanced critique. As with any antique property we do have certain challenges – however, does '88 steps' include the few from the pavement up to reception? As you correctly note we do have very secure ground floor and first floor rooms to compensate!!
Dukes is a magnificent property and Bath a beautiful world heritage city – as a team we endeavour to show them off as best as we are able. I am pleased that you found us good value for money. With thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back!!
Saint Austell, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Excellent Hotel, came up for 3 nights for my birthday. Was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the rooms, certainly felt like the Duke and Duchess. Lovely breakfast and all the staff very friendly and extremely helpful.. Lovely touch the lady owner coming and saying hello every morning at breakfast. Got an excellent deal with the Winter break offer, 3 nights for the price of 2. Parked the car right outside the hotel and left the car there as within walking distance of everything. Luckily the weather was kind, would definitely stay there again. Thankyou for making my birthday special.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write a very positive and generous review. Delighted that you were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the rooms, benefited from an ‘excellent deal’ and enjoyed a ‘special’ birthday – we look forward to welcoming you back !!