“Nice but not worth The money” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Bath
London, United Kingdom
“Nice but not worth The money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

1 night stay at the hotel

Indoor and outdoor pool+steam rooms and sauna were all good and cleaned

Our room rate was £221(not including breakfast) was very expensive
Bad:
We found some hair in our bedlinen...outrageous for that money
Complimentary bottle of water was already open
Reservation for a table at the fine dining restaurant was not there when we showed up at the agreed time

Just a couple of napkins were provided

Service at the al fresco restaurant was slow, food was good but overpriced

Room bathroom was clean

Overall service was quite good and friendly but nothing special, not what you really would expect from a luxury hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
St Ives Cornwall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed in this Hotel in July for a short break in Bath. The rooms were ok, not really of a 5* standard though. Nice setting, but breakfast was the biggest fiasco i've ever seen. There was a queue for breakfast with everyone being given a ticket to wait and be called. What is this the bloody doctors! Then after 30mins we were called to a table that wasn't set, the the waiter brought us some burnt toast and we had to ask for butter/jam. The Breakfast itself was terrible, a tiny sausage and a couple of bits of bacon and egg. Hardly worthy of the 'MacDonalds signature' breakfast @ £17.50. I've had better for £5 as most of the greasy spoons in the uk. Secondly we attempted the Spa but the thick smell of chlorine put us off immediately and the fact i'd asked about treatments prior to find out they were fully booked on arrival.

A nice hotel, but terribly disorganised. For a 5* hotel there is no excuse for poor service in any area.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
martinclubbe, General Manager at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Dear Mr Kingsley
Thank you for your comments. Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I would always welcome your feedback where you feel that this has not been the case.
With regards to your comments concerning breakfast delays for which I sincerely apologise again. As discussed with you when we were apologising and trying to explain, we were fully staffed for the amount of guests who had purchased breakfast within in their rates, however we had over 50 guests on a “room only” basis who decided to take breakfast with us and all at the same time which is a situation that we experience at weekends but have never experienced midweek. We did not issue any one with tickets we took the guests name and asked them to help themselves to juice and items from the cold buffet and take a seat in the lounge whilst we got a table ready for them, which I feel is good customer service rather than make our guests queue. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your cooked breakfast when it arrived, I am unsure what you ordered as our signature breakfast which is included in your room rate is quite substantial, containing 8 cooked items, not just egg, bacon and sausage and we generally get very good feedback from our guests
I am sorry you were unable to book a treatment in our Spa, we always advise our guests at the time of booking a room to pre-book their treatments as the spa is always busy, I am unsure what the smell was but I assure you it was not chlorine as we only use chlorine in our pool which is on a regulated dosing system
Once again thank you for your feedback please be reassured that we have taken on board your feedback and hope to welcome you again soon.
Kind regards, Martin Clubbe
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

Pros; gardens, the grand building, restaurant staff, the variety of food.
Cons; tired old rooms in need of a makeover.bathroom cracked tiles, not very clean - toilet faulty in flushing. Old fashioned decor- your grandma may like it. Wifi cards that cost £10 that do not work in all rooms, you get stung by extra charges eg £5 for delivering room service, sloppy staff.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Spreadthelove
Ascot
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

My advice to Macdonald is to stop cheap and petty ripoff tactics like the £5 parking change and £2 for using a credit card to pay for the parking and breakfast for £35 as people will remember and choose to ge elsewhere. You pay enough for the rooms - these costs should be included - it's not Ryanair.
Also you have to pay for wifi - come on it's 2011!
Staff were good and breakfast was what you'd expect for £15; room too warm and AC ineffective.

1 Thank CheshireladAscot
Cambridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

This is a large, classic looking hotel, in a very good location. Easy to walk into beautiful Bath and we very much enjoyed our time in the city. My comments are primarily related to the hotel, as I did not feel it matched up to my expecations.

We stayed in early April for 2 nights, and used Tesco vouchers, which due to a raise in prices we had to top up with cash to meet the new rates. Using these vouchers mean that you are allocated a standard room, which I don't feel matched up to the total value paid. The room was on the ground floor of the old building, relatively small, but with very high ceilings. This made it seem quite oppressive; there was not space to relax in the room, but given that this hotel is so close to the city, and we were only there for two nights, that wasn't too much of an issue, it just didn't feel very 5 star. We looked out over the garden terrace but the room was quite dark. The wardrobe door kept opening, which meant that the internal light kept going on in the night. We asked for this to be attended to after our first night and were assured it had been, but the same fault occurred on the second night. The room was also very hot. The bathroom was large, which was good, but I do feel the suite and decor in the bathroom was quite tired looking. Lovely Molton Brown toiletries though.

We were advised on arrival to book spa treatments if we wanted, as they fill up quickly. I did find that they had quite limited slots, but was able to book in for an hour the next day for a facial. I enjoyed this; the spa treatment area is relaxing, spacious, and the therapist I had was lovely.

We also used the swimming and spa area, which we really enjoyed. There is a lovely outdoor jacuzzi pool, which we enjoyed even in the rain on our arrival, and there are a number of thermal spa rooms, saunas and steam rooms, which were equally enjoyable. Again, though, I do think this is all looking slightly tired and am not sure how well it would stand up if compared to the new spa that has opened in Bath.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel, and there was a good spread for continental. We didn't pay extra for the hot breakfast as there was a large choice included in our room rate. The dining room does feel a bit stuffy, but I think the hotel is still aimed at the older guest.

The service we received was fine in general, apart from the maintenance issue. We completed a guest satisfaction card and did receive a letter in good time following our visit, following up on our comments, which is positive.

We did enjoy our time in Bath, which is a gorgeous place, but my overall impression of this hotel is that if you are in a standard room, you don't get 5 star standards, which I feel should be the base line expectation.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Arrived in Bath at the hotel and thought Wow! It is magnificent from the outside, with luscious, well kept grounds. Quite central too, so an easy drive into the centre (or walk if not lazy like us). But things started to go down-hill from the off. I was appalled that as residents, we were expected to pay £5 for the privilege of parking on site, especially as on the way in the barrier opened automatically - yet on the way out we had to 'buzz' reception and wait for it to be raised ( what was that all about - were they checking we had paid??). A money making scam for sure. On arrival at 2pm exactly after a tiring journey and longing to have a rest, we were told we were early (we were not - our paperwork (and that in the room) clearly stated check -in was from 2pm). However the bored receptionist, who continuously fiddled with her unruley hair, insisited check -in was from 2.30, and sent us away ('go to town sir' was her suggestion). Well, we might as well have, as our room ('ready in ten minutes sir' on repeated enquiries) was not ready till 4pm! In the meatime, we had a coffee each - £9.40 no less and as we did not have a room number yet (yawn!), we had to settle with cash. My ten pound note was whisked away and I never was offered my 40 pence change! Surely, if rooms are not ready, then the coffee should be complimentary as a way of apology. Mind you, everybody else waiting, (and there were several), were falling for this and all ordered something - another money making scam? This delayed start spoiled the stay from the off somewhat, and I realise it can tinge your ongoing view- but it did give me a chance to peruse the menu and room service prices. Phew! - no wonder they reserve over £300 on your credit card! The prices were extortionate. My husband went grey at the room service prices (of which I do like to partake - its all part of the hotel experience I feel). At £5 delivery to room charge - he told me if I wanted anything I could go downstairs and fetch it meself! When we did get to our room, it was quite pleasant although a tad tired, with a few obviously outstanding maintenance issues.Safety thermostat setting 38 deg C on shower was actually scalding; Tap on bidet continually dripped; Shower screen support arm was completely broken. Bed was huge (approx 10 feet wide), and very comfortable. Room was bit hot though, especailly when shower was on. Even with air con, which could not be turned down very far. Having window open on first night was impossible due to wedding disco going on. Again, prices in mini-bar were way off. We went to the local Morissons and stocked up (made husband return to normal facial hue). Breakfast was very good, once you got it. My husband ordered a Full English and it still had not arrived after 30 mins. On enquiry, it was obvious he had been forgotten. Continental buffet very nice. Curious note through the door on the last night advising us about avoiding breakfast 'rush times' which might affect our breakfast experience, so we did. Or is that a ruse to get people out, so bedrooms can be cleaned in time for 2pm...............sorry i mean 2.30!!! Overall, not too bad, but definately not five star service. Most could have been fixed if they had more staff, and if food/drink prices were realistic, im sure we would have eaten in - both in the restaurant and the room.
Our room also looked out onto the kitchen roof, so if you want a nice view ..you had better ask when booking. We also booked using Tesco vouchers and it appears that we paid £225 per night when the normal tarriff was £175 ???

sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

We are a family of 3 staying for 5 nights which I believe gave us time to gain an accurate fair opinion of the hotel.

The positives
Brilliant staff
Wonderful food
Great service in the bars and restaurants
Clean rooms/good housekeeping service
Helpful Concierge services
Excellent indoor pool and outdoor spa pool

The negatives
Complex marketing stratgey with various offers at booking
We were allocated room 206 directly opposite the generator which meant a constant noise day and night. We should have been told in advance and I believe should have been offered a reduction in room price. I would ask on booking where your rooms are.
Some confusion about what is available where and when in terms of food service. We were unable to get a drink on the outside spa terrace. We were told drinks were available free however only herbal tea was available.
The thermal suite is very ordinary and not up to current spa expectations in more modern hotels.
The outside terrace was in need of attention
Wi fi has to be paid for however on day 4 we eventually found out that dial up is free. We did find a lack of clarity about a number of questions depending on who you asked.
Plastic flowers for 4 days in the dining room,. Very poor considering the overall branding.
£5 a day for parking.
Rooms a little run down. No full length mirror in our room. Hairdryers poor.
And the highest drink prices I have ever encountered anywhere in the world. £9.15 for a small glass of wine!

I wouldn't stay again because of the add ons eg drinks, parking etc which is a shame but I do think the hotel is probably geared up for a certain type happy to pay these inflated prices or business people on expenses.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the generator