“Bloody Brilliant!” 5 of 5 bubbles

London, United Kingdom
“Bloody Brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

- One night's stay
- upgraded to four poster room
- fantastic service with friendly helpful staff
- was given a tour of the hotel on arrival
- spacious, clean, comfortable
- nothing to fault, it was bloody brilliant
- Great Spa, outdoor/indoor pools, jacuzzi, steam/ice/shower rooms
- we didn't eat in the hotel and opted to eat in town which was just a short 5-10 min walk to town centre
- would definitely recommend for a romantic break in Bath!

Room Tip: state upon booking you would like to upgrade - four poster room was great
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here for one night as a family of four two adults and two young children 6 and 3 years old in July. The hotel is beautiful, extremely well located in Bath and there are loads of parking spaces (which is a bit of a problem in Bath) for £5.00. It is right opposite a lovely park, great spot for a picnic. The children were in their own little annexe in our room so we could watch TV at night without disturbing them. We were in a very comfy four poster bed. Lovely spacious bathroom with Molton Brown products for you to use. The continental breakfast was included in the price, or you could upgrade for £20.00 each for a full English, but the continental breakfast had a fantastic choice and you wouldn't really need to have a cooked breakfast unless that was what you wanted. The breakfast room was beautiful, real linen tablecloths and napkins and you can dine al fresco if the weather is good. I took the children swimming in the hotel pool (children are allowed in there between 8am and 5pm) and they had a great time. It was very clean and towels were provided. There is also an outdoor pool and jacuzzi but the children are not allowed out there. The concierge staff were very helpful with our bags and the reception and waiters in the restaurant were all very friendly too. I would recommend this hotel and look forward to going back there soon. We paid a Summer Special price of £243 for one night (usually around £320)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
exeter
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

My partner and I recently spent one night at this hotel. It is well located and only a 10-15 minute walk from the centre of Bath. Although the building and grounds are beautiful, we found the overall ambience somewhat soulless. The spa facilities seemed good, and we enjoyed an excellent massage. The majority of the staff seemed very well trained and extremely helpful, but our check in experience was a little disappointing. We arrived a couple of hours early, and although we were aware that we would need to wait for our room to become available, no effort was made to speed up its preparation nor were we informed when it was likely to be ready. The receptionist did not seem to be very well trained, had little local knowledge and did not make much effort to assist us. The greatest disappointment for us was our room: The decor was tired, we noticed suspicious marks/stains on the coverlet and the sink was blocked to the extent that water would drain away very slowly, allowing some sort of disgusting matter to float up out of the plug hole. The plug mechanism in the bath/shower did not work properly either, resulting in slow drainage there too. The drinks and the food seemed overpriced, possibly explaining the empty bar and dining room in peak season. My partner was not happy with the full English breakfast, which was very greasy and mediocre despite it's £18 price tag - the only reason they got away with it was because we were a captive audience!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Generally excellent and just about worth the cost, I would definitley recommend this hotel.

Service overall was very good. The service in the Al Fresco Bar was generally very good, although there was one occassion when our glasses were not cleared promptly and when we had to ask twice for water.

Grounds and rooms were immaculate.

Minor improvement points:
- the TV guide and the channels did not completely reconcile, which would have been fine, however the channel choice was so broad it was necessary!
- some of the lights in the grounds did not work, which was disappointing, and also made navigating the gardens in the evening quite difficult.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Likescomfort1
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

The Hotel is grand and beautiful, surrounded by nice grounds and in walking distance from the city centre. Most of the staff were extremely polite and helpful, but not all are trained properly to serve in a five star hotel. Lovely spacious room and, importantly, bathroom, pity the handle of the shower/bath tap was coming off and the carpet covered in stains, really needs some maintenance attention, probably investment. The bed was comfortable but the bed linen really horrible, tired, with yellow stains. Breakfast was every bit as good as it should be, perhaps quality of juices was not as great as it could be. We also had a dinner in the restaurant. The pre-dinner cocktails were fab, as well as wine and my starter (tuna carpacio) and the main (duck breast), however, my husband's starter came incomplete and the main dish did not live up to the expectation. Both puddings were disappointing. Now the spa... Everything was functionning, not too busy, complementary steamroom, sauna, ice-room (sounds awful but really great to pick yourself up) and sea salt treatment were enjoyable. Lovely setting outside around the pool (we were blessed with warm weather). Everything was clean, apart from the messy changing rooms used mostly by people not staying in the hotel. The massages we had were OK, rather overpriced. I really liked the relaxation room where they take you after the treatment with complementary fruit teas and water and the cosy blankets and magazines.

Room Tip: We had a room with window facing the inner courtyard - nothing special, but certainly quiet. I think...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank tatianahinds
Leeds UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

Always a pleasant stay at the Macdonald hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and the Mrs always enjoys half-inching the complimentary Molten Brown in the bathroom. The spa is a nice way to while away a lazy afternoon, particularly the heated outdoor jacuzzi pool which is just as pleasant in the middle of winter as it is in summer.

The wireless is chargeable, however if you bring a patch cable you can jack into the ethernet socket in each room to enjoy free internet access.

We stayed room only this time, but having done B&B in the recent past I can confirm that only the continental is included; cooked is extra. Also there is now a £5 parking charge, although it appears at is for the entire stay, not daily. Your room key is programmed to let you in and out.

Prices vary enormously, from £85 B&B in the winter to well north of £200 room only in peak summer. Food and drink are good quality, but quite expensive. Just shy of £10 for coffee for 2, around £8 for the cheapest house wine (per glass, not per bottle!). That said, the service is usually excellent. All the rooms are non-smoking, however if you do partake in the noble art there are approximately 15 rooms with balconies on the ground floor (which actually looks like the first floor from outside due to Being situated on a hill).

The only other hotel I would consider of similar quality in Bath is the Priory; the Royal Crescent is simply too "old" in terms of it's decor for my taste. This is my 5th stay at the Macdonald and I am sure it won't be the last.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
London UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

I have stayed at this hotel before, and will doubtlessly stay there again. The location is great (the city of Bath is wonderful) and the hotel makes a fantastic destnation in itself. The combined of a lovely hotel and the city of Bath, makes for pretty much an unbeatable and enjoyable stay.

The rooms are extremely comfortable (probably the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in and nicest pillows & duvets), the bathrooms and bath products are also very nice. The fitness centre is good, the pool areas fantastic and the spa centre is excellent. Staff seem generally genuinely extremely nice, friendly, kind and helpful people.

We all enjoyed the food, which was very good. However during our stay there was only one restaurant open for dinner later in the evening (7.30pm onwards as I recall). That served food seemingly biased more towards the haute cuisine end of the scale. The menu was quite exciting, the food absolutely delicious, and we thoroughly enjoyed every meal. However when I stayed there before there were two restaruants to choose from for dinner. The other was biased more towards the TDH end of the dining scale as I remember. It was a shame only one was open as we had previously enjoyed alternating between the two on different evenings.

On the topic of restaurants, the service was generally ok and the staff were lovely. However I thought the overall experience was let down by a couple of things. Arriving (not late) for breakfast one morning we were greeted by a chap who seemed in a hurry and started asking us what we wanted to drink and eat as we were still walking to our table. My guests ended up standing in the middle of the room trying to hear what he was saying and deciding what to have, before I suggested they be allowed to sit down first. On a couple of other occasions we had to ask for bits of cutlery before we could start eating as staff didn't check we had everything we needed after putting the food down on the table. I might be being super-picky but to be honest I expect better from a hotel of this calibre.

Whilst I'm being super-picky another thing was a bit jarring. During our stay my guests and I got a number of phone calls from the hotel over a mix up about an unpaid hotel facility bill. I had asked the hotel facility to charge the cost to my room as I was treating my guests. However it seemed the message had not been passed on. Or perhaps I didn't make myself clear to all concerned and it was my fault. Anyway, later that day my guests told me they had received a phone call about owing the hotel facility money and I went to reception, explained and offered to pay there and then. They apologised and I was told it was ok I could settle everything at the end. However my guests later received another phone call about the money That caused some concern and embarassment because my guests had thought I couldnt afford the bill so they offerred to pay. I think I received another phone call after that too. Although staff apologised, again, it was not what I expected of such a good hotel. There was also a mix up about the bill at the end of the stay, which on top of the other was just a bit tedious.

As a heads-up I will add that if you are in your room and do not want to be disturbed, put the 'do not distrub' sign on the door. Otherwise the room might seem a bit like Piccadilly Circus at times with knocks from housekeeping staff, housekeeping staff supevisors, and turn-down service people. At least that's what it seemed like at times. Though of course I understand they all have a job to do and it's hard to do that work around guests. The dilligence of the housekeeping staff did ensure that standards of cleanliness were extremely high and the rooms were always spotless and pleasant to be in.

I feel I have been a bit harsh in this review as some of the nit-picky things I've described didn't spoil our stay but they didn't exactly enhance it either. When we have stayed at the Bath Spa before everything has run like Swiss clockwork, and that's probably why I have been so picky this time around. Bottom line is we realy did enjoy our stay, the staff are generally very sweet and helpful, the facilities are excellent, the rooms are comfortable, and I would without hesitation recommend the Bath Spa hotel to others.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family