“Another lovley stay as always”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We have just returned from another lovley stay at this hotel. We visit this hotel every year without fail...as does my family. We returned this year for our wedding anniversary and were upgraded to a lovley four poster room with chocolates and a card waiting for us when we arrived. The spa is lovley although the jaquzi didnt seem to have as many bubbles as previous years?! Me and my husband are not sure if we are imagining this though?! Bath is a beautiful city. We always go and sample the local resturants for lunch and dinner, because we like to see the local resturants etc. We were upset to see that one of our fav resturants...Vitos Italian appears to no longer be open? So we visited our usual The Rajpoot for a lovley curry and as Vitos was closed for the entire time of our stay we visited a new resturant The Thai Balcony, its was really nice food and great service. Lunch was had at The Huntsman which is a nice pub in the centre and The Real Italian Pizza Company. I understand everyone complains about the charge to park their car on site at this hotel of £5 per stay and i also do not agree with this as parking should be free for guests, all the hotel need to do is take the vehicle registration of all guests cars...so this is a shame as it never used to be charged. The only thing i have to moan about is the fact that we went out at 6pm for drinks and dinner, we returned and had our bed covers pulled back and slippers left out etc as the maids usually do, however we were left with no water, and no milk so were unable to even make a cup of tea that evening or the next morning which i feel is unacceptable. Lifts could do with an update. Other than this another fantastic stay with fantasic spa and fantasic staff. We will be returning again next year, my family are returning again in November.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,702)

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I only stayed here for one night (far too expensive for longer) but was overwhelmed and cannot wait to go back there again at some point.

We were staying in the St Andrews - the bed was a little on the soft side but the room was so beautiful I sort of forgave them for a poor mattress. The boyfriend disagreed with me and thought it was very comfy.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and you can play games of croquette on the lawn.

We dined in the restaurants main restaurant - the food was excellent, although a tad over priced.

Before and after drinks we used the hotel bar, which is in an old-style smoking room. The cocktails were fantastic and they had a great choice of cigars to smoke on the terrace.

Guests are also able to make use of the spa - which is worth checking out for the range of steam rooms, saunas and ice showers.

Utterly romantic and relaxing.

Room Tip: Possibly request a firm bed?
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I've stayed at many 5 star hotels and the only similarity between the Bath Spa hotel and others I have stayed in, was the price. And that's where the similarity ends. Otherwise, I thought I was in an average 3 star with a semi decent pool and a novel outdoor heated one. What a dissapointment. The rooms were small and very tired and so were the bathrooms, the air con didn't work properly, there were chips out of the paintwork and door frames in all the corridors, in short it didn't look much better than other 3 stars I'd stayed in. The highlight of the spa experience was a thermal outfoor pool, which when you sat in it, you had the wonderful view of ..... a grey brick wall. The changing rooms were average and a bit mouldy in the showers. I was asked to pay £5 to park my car?! I fancied a cup of tea when I woke up and was dissappointed to find no biscuits! so went down to breakfast and it took 20 minutes to get a cup of tea for breakfast, the staff were stressed and preoccupied and moaning to us about their staffing issues... to be honest as much as I empathised, I'd paid £235 a room for some peace and quiet and to get away from people moaning about their jobs... This was not the 5 star experience I was after. It doesn't deserve it's rating at all. The only positive was it was a short walk into the centre of Bath and the concierge was a nice chap.
A five star experience i would expect seamless, top notch service, where nothing is too much trouble, better room facilities with a bit of decent technology eg. a decent hairdryer or an ipod dock or DVD player and I wouldn't expect to have to pay to park my own car! You would leave wishing you could stay another night. But I couldn't wait to check out and felt totally ripped off. This is a lovely building in a lovely setting but it isn't 5 star.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2011

As soon as you approach the hotel it feels welcoming. The staff were lovely and helpful.
The rooms are very comfortable- so much so I overslept. The spa is a treat and very enjoyable. It wasn't a perfect experience and needs to try a little harder to warrant it's five star rating, at the moment it is more 4 and a quarter .....

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank LondonChipper
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My wife and I stayed in this hotel 30 Aug - 2 Sept 2011. We were looking to stay somewhere special as we had never been to Bath before, and had been recommended coming to Bath by so many people.
After checking the internet and Tripadvisor we decided to go with a little luxury and book the Bath Spa hotel. We booked a standard room for 3 nights including full continental breakfast which came out at just short of £400. Heres a tip though, it could have cost more, but if you google 'Macdonald Hotel promotion Code' you may well find a discount code, this in itself saved us just short of £100! Booked online, and like most systems was very simple and easy to complete.
The hotel is about 15 mins walk from the main Bath Spa railway station, however took a taxi initially as a review on here did state it was uphill! Quick taxi ride for £7 got us to the hotel, where you are met with a magnificent greeting. Turning off the main road you are lead up a long sweeping driveway to the main entrance of this old beautiful mansion house. First impressions were A1. Large lobby with a huge Lilly floral arrangement bursting with fragrance. We had arrived pre check in time so enquired about baggage holding. This wasn't a problem, but the check in clerk found us a room already made up so off we went. Handed over to the concierge Andrew - He gave us a guided tour of the hotel showing us all the facilities before then taking our bags and showing us to our room.
For a standard room it was magnificent. Large bed, flat screen tv, view out over the gardens, desk, built in wardrobes, and superd bathroom. Molten Brown toiletries supplied along with bath robes and slippers for use at the pool and spas.
Back down then to reception where Andrew gave us a map, highlighting the route to town, and places of interest. Walking through the beautiful gardens of the house to the entrance was a joy in itself. Water features tricking away and well laid gardens gave a real feel of what Bath is all about. 15 minutes to town is bang on, as you can walk staright through the beautiful park to town, or alternatively take a slower more relaxed stroll along the canal paths.
The hotel has many facilities, gym, indoor heated pool with whirlpool, outdoor thermal spa which I highly advise checking out at night. Sauna, steam room and cold room all included in your stay. Treatments are available from around £50 - £200 depending on your needs, but be advised to pre-book these.
Breakfast too was a joy. After being lead to a table, you are presented with a fully stocked continental breakfast bar, enough tea, coffee and juices and the option of a full English cooked breakfast. Dietry requirements are catered for, but note for coeliacs - couldn't guarantee cereals as gluten free, but there are many alternatives, and gluten free toast on request!
Didn't try the restaurant as ate in town each evening, but heard many good things, although not cheap, so be aware of that one.
All in all it aided to a perfect stay in Bath, and without question will stay there again. I wouldn't listen to the isolated negative reviews on here, as the staff are helpful, and not intrusive and let you go about your day, whereas some people feel they should be tended to night and day. Would love to stay next time in one of the more elite rooms, but as standard goes it definately is 5 star all the way, so if you want a romantic, or relaxing stay in what is a beautifully picturesque city, this hotel is without doubt th eplace to drop your bags!!

3  Thank katman1972
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This is a lovely traditional hotel. We were upgraded to a four poster room which was quite spacious with an 18 ft ceiling. The bathroom was great with brown marble and dark wood, bidet and toilet, shower and bath. Molten Brown toiletries and generous shelf space and mirrors added to the appeal.

The public rooms are attractive and the hotel has it's own grounds and gardens which are lovely. We were very happy with the service and found everyone helpful and gracious. The local accent is a challenge to understand, at least for these Americans.

The negative was the distance from town. It is only a little over a mile and through some very pleasant public gardens but it is a hike as the hotel is on the top of a small hill. We therefore did not find the location too convenient as the walk was exhausting at the end of the day. It would work out fine if you ate an early dinner and then came back for the remainder of the evening but after sightseeing all day we were not up to another round trip trek.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

I think the difference between a 4* and 5* hotel is all in the experience. Many hotels have fine rooms, decent food and 4* or 5* pricing structures, but only genuinely great experiences deserved to be called 5*. The Bath Spa Hotel, although it prices and positions itself as 5*, is a distinctly average experience. The hotel front, lobby and other communal rooms are all rather grand, which only increases the disappointment when you enter your small, rather drab room. We were told we had a special room as it had a view of the Bath skyline, but the room itself was of a standard I would expect to see in a basic hotel. We found an empty bottle of water and two dirty glasses, so we had to call room service to resolve. After this was fixed we then discovered the mini-bar fridge did not work, the shower area was not clean and the safe did not work. I could have complained at the time but when I am in a 5* hotel I expect the hotel to make sure these things do not happen, not rely on me wasting my weekend going through the issues with them.
The spa itself was very unimpressive - we used it quite late on a Fri evening, a quiet time, but the pool area was still full as it is a very small pool with limited seating around; I can only imagine it is horrendous at busy times.
The best part of the stay was the breakfast in the magnificent high ceilinged dining room. I also agree with other reviewers that the hotel has interesting drinks prices - £10 for a double bourbon whiskey is very high, it felt to me like the hotel was attempting again to charge 5* prices for decidedly average items.
Overall this was far from a 5* experience, I would not stay here again when there are so many excellent 5* hotels elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple