“Great Spa Break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Hertfordshire
“Great Spa Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed for a few days in April for a spa break. The Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel really made our stay relaxing and comfortable, they even turn back the beds at night and lay out your complementary slippers. Staff are very friendly and always around to help with anything. The Hotel is absolutely beautiful and the food excellent. The spa is one of the best we have visited,they have thought of most things and is kept extremely clean. The beauty rooms are also one of the best we have indulged in. The therapist professional and the facilities are just perfect for relaxing and pampering. We shall be back next year.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

My family and I have just returned from an excellent stay at the Bath Spa Hotel. The service was extremely good and everyone was very helpful and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. When we arrived we were greated by a very helpful man at reception who gave us some useful tips and places of interest to visit while we were in Bath and the Concierge showed us around the hotel. We ate one night in the hotel and the food was very good and we also found the breakfast more than adequate. We used the pool at the Spa but were slightly disappointed that the children had to vacate the pool by 5pm but that was our only niggle. We had interconnecting rooms on the Garden Level which were probably more 4* than 5* but having said that they were very clean and spacious. Bath is a fabulous place to visit and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel as somewhere to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Torbay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I had an excellent stay at the Bath Spa Hotel: The service, room and facilities were the best I have ever encountered at any hotel I have stayed in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for a relaxing and luxurious stay; from the moment you arrive you get the 5 star treatment. Thank you so much to all the fantastic staff.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Sycamore suite
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Having read a number of reviews about this hotel I was a little wary about the booking. My husband and I were travelling to Bath for one day and night only and wanted to stay somewhere special. I looked at the Royal Crescent and here and basically opted for his due to the price - it was approx. £100 cheaper!
We arrived about 11am and our room wasn't ready, but this wasn't a problem as we wanted to explore the City anyhow.
Contrary to other reviews we were greeted very warmly. The staff were very helpful - young and enthusiastic, giving us a good recommendation for breakfast in the town.
As we were only there one day we wanted to make the most of the hotels facilities so came back mid afternoon to use the pool etc. It was a decent enough pool, though don't expect a particularly relaxing soak. There just isn't the ambience that you would expect from a 5* hotel, for example there are a few loungers around the pool but its just not very luxurious. For example it wasn't possible to sit and have a drink by the pool.
We didn't have an evening meal in the hotel or breakfast as we had an early flight but we did have afternoon tea and this was absolutely lovely - just as you would imagine....little sandwiches, cakes, scones with clotted cream and jam. It was reasonably priced and one between two was plenty. Again the staff in the lounge area could not have been more pleasant.
In my opinion (unlike some of the other reviews) it is the staff here hat really make the place - for example when getting ready to head out for the evening we realised that we had forgotten to pack deodorant (didn't want to check luggage) so I embarrasingly called the concierge and enquired if we could get some. The young guy said he would be happy to send someone out for us but if we wanted we could borrow his! He brought us his rightguard up straight away and saved any hassle - just a really nice guy and down to earth.
Bath is a gorgeous City and this hotel was very good - we would be happy to return.
Regarding location the hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk into the main shopping area - a lovely walk through a pretty park.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed here with my husband for 2 nights. Like so many other reviewers we were left astonishied and disappointed by the disorganised, lazy, uncaring service.

The website states check in at 2. We arrived at 2.30 and yet still were made to wait for nearly an hour until we could go to our room. The worst things about this were the unsympathetic receptionists, who couldn't give us a straight answer and kept on insisting it would be "15 minutes" over and over. 5 or 6 other guests were left stranded in the same way, and there weren't enough places to sit, or a closet that they would put your bags into, so we were trapped stood pathetically in the lobby. We ended up starting our break stressed and annoyed - only by insisting on speaking to the manager were we eventually given refreshments and straight answers, but even this was done patronisingly with just a grudging, defensive apology.

Please if you stay here do not pay £25 a head for breakfast - what a farce that was. On the first morning we were asked to order our breakfast 'Premier Inn' style (although the food was not as nice as it is in that establishment - I'm serious!!) There was no menu choice for breakfast at all really - hardly 5 star!!! It took about 20 minutes for our order to be taken, toast and coffee was brought out which became cold as we waited. Poached eggs that I asked to be runny came out solid, and when I ordered some warm toast it came out long after I'd finished my breakfast! Even more oddly the next day there was no ordering, it had turned to a tiny buffet style scrum affair, with cold scrambled eggs and tomatoes the only thing available when we arrived - I refused to pay this time, Cold breakfast choices were limited and unimaginative and overall I would compare this breakfast to a 2 star hotel, not a 5! You're about a 10 minutes walk from a bakery in town - please don't waste your money and up your stress levels by bothering with breakfast!

I liked the look of the hotel, it is rather old-fashioned, but I find that quite charming. Our room was large and cosy. It did seem in need of an update, with half ripped off signs on the bath, filthy grouting and an ancient, non-digital TV system, along very measly and basic coffee and tea supplies (although I liked having a teapot!). Garden View was a bit of a stretch given we faced the car park, but we didn't hear a sound at night-time.

The Spa really is wonderful, moving beyond your basic sauna, steam set-up and including a salt-infusion room and an ice room, plus a warm outdoor pool that you can actually swim to from inside. Again we were met by poor service though, with a very severe man patronising me about not losing a key as if I was a school child rather than a grown woman (I didn't lose it, but I felt like spitting on it!)

The bar (you have to walk through a restaurant to find it!) was lovely and quaint, with a real 20s feel. For once I appreciated the slow service as the bar man spent about 10 minutes carefully constructing our delicious cocktails.

Bath is a wonderful place to visit, but if I came here again I would never stay at this hotel. Instead I'd go somewhere cheaper and pay the money for one of the many day spas in town - I think this way we would still save money on what we spent. Service is so important, you need it to feel at home when you're away from home, and it should be part of what you pay for. At this hotel I got the feeling guests were seen as more of an annoyance than an asset. Every problem we had, when we looked around, was being faced by many others. The hotel is under-staffed. Noone seems to know what they are doing, the management is patronising, defensive and unapologetic, and what should be such a relaxing place only gets your stress levels up - I strongly recommend you don't stay here. We couldn't wait to leave in the end, so much so we forewent extra time in the Spa on check-out morning. 5 star establishments must really be expected to make a lot more effort to ensure their customers are satisfied - you can tell this place doesn't care from the fact noone even responds to the views on here.

Room Tip: Be assertive! If they mess up do complain and they will grudgingly do something about it, don't...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JillyLeicester
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just returned from a lovely 2 night break in Bath, I can highly recommend the macdonald bath spa hotel. After reading several bad reviews I was slightly worried about what to expect, however as soon as we entered the hotel gates I knew we would be in for a lovely stay. Upon arrival the maid was still cleaning our room however reception were very apologetic and offered us free drinks whilst waiting. Our room a standard twin was lovely not at all dirty as some suggest! We really enjoyed the spa especially the heated outdoor pool! Breakfast was delicious and staff very friendly.

The walk into town is a leisurely 10 to 15 mins through a lovely park, look out for the orient express which runs through it.

Would not consider staying anywhere else in bath!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 302 lovely decor however no view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Valencia, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

but in this case it frankly isn't.

In Bath for a very special occasion, we opted for a special place to spend the night - and frankly wish we hadn't

The hotel itself is magnificent, the grounds and the setting are simply superb, the decor and general appearance less so, and the standard of service just something which didn't merit the ticket price or the 5 star rating.

I followed up the poor service levels with the GM,

Martin J. Clubbe

whose response was between the negative and the denial, with a hint of patronising.

His reply was factually incorrect, as he stated that noone else had complained about the service..... well obviously the guy doesn't read other reviews on Trpadvisor.....

No idea why this place can command the prices it does, other than Bath is a tourist magnet which is wholly under supplied by hotels.

My advice - do what plenty of other people did who attended the same event - get a b and b or book the Travelodge - at least if our room rate is reasonable your expectaions are not set too high !

So...... stay here and be rewarded with dissappointment !

Please look at my other reviews of other hotels I have stayed at worldwide - I always give praise where it's due, and measured criticism where i think it valid.... this is the most negative review I have ever writen !

McDonald bath - nul points !

Room Tip: to get a good room in bath - stay somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple