MacDonald Bath Spa Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Dukes Hotel(Bath)
  • Breakfast included
4,813 results
All reviewsice roomimperial suitevellore restaurantsalt roomoutdoor poollovely hotelbath spaon arrivalcooked breakfastmolton brown toiletriesspecial occasionbirthday treatrelaxing staycar parkafternoon teacity centrefour poster bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I chose this hotel for my party of ten girls joining me on my hen party weekend. The hotel is beautiful, and the spa facilities and the outdoor heated pool are lovely. However as a party of ten and a hen do, I was expecting maybe a bit more attention. Firstly we spent over £2000.00 with them for hotel rooms and spa treatments, and they still charged me £5 parking for each car! Even pointing out the fact we were spending so much money with them already, they wouldn't budge!! there was no free bottle of wine or champagne which I would have expected for such a special occassion. One of my girls had to drop out last minute, the hotel would not provide her a refund, and because two people were sharing one room, they still charged for two people even though there was only one guest in that particular room. The hotel is a ten minute walk from the centre of Bath, being a hen party we did have one night out in the town, and it was nice to know that the hotel has someone at front desk all night so we didn't have to worry about getting back for a certain time. The food was lovely, but unfortunately at breakfast in the morning, we were seated but then waited over an hour for a cooked breakfast and the service was not up to standard. it seems that they struggled to cope feeding big parties and I was not impressed as Our party had other things planned which we were now late for. There were a number of eastern European staff at this hotel, but I must say they were more hard working then the English staff and a lot more attentive and polite, the English staff let us down. Brilliant hotel but would not advise to go with a big group, as you don't get any benefits or extras and it seems the hotel struggle a bit with big parties.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hannah S
Reviewed 30 April 2012

There is a huge gap between the way this hotel is marketed, priced and sold and the reality of what it is actually like. Potential guests must really take this into consideration before booking. We agreed to pay £325 per night for a 2 night break and ended up leaving after one night. On arrival (at the not unusual hour of 8pm), it was clear that for a large property there were hardly any staff; the first room we were shown wasn't cleaned properly and some of the lights weren't working; the second room was better but was tired and the bathrooms were particularly dated. During breakfast we discovered a 'human hair' in the eggs benedict and none of the TV channels were tuned correctly in the room. In short, we couldn't relax and there were a series of problems that spoilt the stay. I spoke to Brian, a duty manager; who to be fair dealt with my complaints calmly and with speed, cancelled my second night and any extras we had consumed and seemed to show an all too familiar empathy with my problems. I suspected it wasn't the first time he had heard such complaints. The prices set an expectation that the hotel simply cannot meet. I suggest staying here once they have a makeover!

6  Thank Simon R
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Very enjoyable stay.Wet weather on our first day so we stayed in and made use of the excellent spa . Would have preferred it to be adults only as it felt like a kids club in the pool. Noisy and lots of crying. Don't think they were staying at the hotel but simply paying to use the facility. It rather spoilt the ambience.
The bar and lounge were relaxing with attentive but not pushy staff. Evening meal excellent. Portion size ample - I hate being over-fed! Delicious petit fours. It will be nice when the dining room gets the new chairs they are expecting
Next day the concierge was most helpul directing us to Castlecombe & Lacock - two very pretty villages.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank veronica p
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Spent one night recently at Spa Hotel. Did not match up to its 5* rating, more 4*. Staff very helpful but parts of hotel very shabby. Dining room very bland and some seats badly stained and with burns in them. Food excellent, well presented and very tasty. Room good size, nicely presented but walls very thin especially between floors. Spent an interesting time listening to the man in the room above who had bladder troubles using the bathroom a couple of times during the night. You could hear everything!

I was not happy that we and others had to queue for breakfast about 5 minutes and then having sat down with a cool coffee and toast had to remind the head waiter to take our order for a full english. No real apology forthcoming. Although the breakfast was very nice it was not worth £19.50.

Overall a lovely hotel but on the odd occasion resembled McDonald not Macdonalds.

1  Thank Arundel2
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Enjoyed our one night stay at Bath Spa. Hotel is in a good location just a 15 minute walk into the centre. Staff were friendly and attentive. Spa was great. Room was comfortable but not 5 star. Unfortunately the walls were thin as previous reviewers have pointed out so we could hear the people next door. Having read previous reviews about poor value in the restaurant, we decided to eat elsewhere and found a lovely Moroccan restaurant in the centre. Overall we would recommend the hotel if you can find a good deal on the room rate. Not sure it was worth what we paid for one night.

Room Tip: Ask for one without an adjoining door as this may mean better soundproofing
2  Thank Fleurmort