“A first visit to a superb hotel”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Aarschot, Belgium
“A first visit to a superb hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

We are very widely travelled and have stayed in a huge range of hotels across Europe, Asia, Africa and N America.
Quite simply this was the best hotel we have ever been in.
Our room was well appointed in every detail and, situated on the third floor, gave us wonderful views over the city.
All the staff with whom we dealt were polite, helpful and thoroughly professional from the moment that we arrived until our check out.
The selection at breakfast was excellent and the food well cooked and served.
I have read the negative comments elsewhere about the parking charge. On the one hand I agree with them as I find parking charges in UK a rip off from one end of the country to the other; on the other hand £5.00 for a long weekend in a major tourist destination where everything is within walking distance is a snip.
I did not use the spa but my 'other half' did and found it first class.
Final comment: I hope that we will be back soon and am looking forward to our return visit.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

We have stayed in quite a few Macdonald Hotels (which we cannot recommend highly enough)and found this one the best so far, quite superb in fact. The hotel is splendid to behold, both inside and out, in a lovely, quiet and very convenient location only ten minutes walk from the city centre and tourist sites. Car park facilities are very good with only a small charge levied for the entire stay - £5 I think (not per day as suggested by the web site). Every member of staff (and I mean EVERY member) performed to a very high standard and were a credit to the company; very helpful, cheerful, friendly and profesional. The hotel is very elegant, superbly decorated and classy but without being 'stuffy' or pretentious - fully deserving of its five star rating as far as I am concerned. The check-in experience was very slick and a lovely member of staff (Hazel?) gave us a guided tour and showed us to our room. We were upgraded to a garden view room situated on the ground floor opposite the spa - a lovely quiet location. The room was large, spotlessly clean and very very well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and we thouroughly enjoyed the accomodation provided. Breakfast was excellent when served in either the Velore or al fresco dining area...........additional supplements cannot though be justified in my view when already paying £20 for a cooked meal. We enjoyed tea and cakes served in the longe area (good value) and a wonderful evening meal in the Velore room - not cheap but well worth it. Found alcoholic drinks almost prohibitively expensive though (over £10 for small cocktail) and the room service well, difficult to justify nearly £14 for a cheese sandwich when 'tray charge' of £5 factored in!! Enjoyed using the spa which was very well equipped and also a treatment at extra charge - again quite expensive BUT superb and well worth it for a treat. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and, although far from cheap, found the hotel exceeded our expectations in every respect - would highly recommend without hesitation and look forward to going back. The staff made our stay extra special - a very big well done to all of them!

Room Tip: Try and get a garden view room - great standard and very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DenningHertfordshire
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

As the taxi drove up the long and beautiful drive to our hotel, I thought "We must of come to the wrong place!" My husband assured me this was the correct hotel! It was so very, very beautiful! The staff was also wonderful! The room, was beautiful! The bathroom, to die for! Would we stay there again, you bet we would, in a nano second! This is a 5 star hotel for good reasons!

Room Tip: If you can, travel off season for a good price.
3 Thank MrsDMaryland
Kent, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I chose this hotel for my party of ten girls joining me on my hen party weekend. The hotel is beautiful, and the spa facilities and the outdoor heated pool are lovely. However as a party of ten and a hen do, I was expecting maybe a bit more attention. Firstly we spent over £2000.00 with them for hotel rooms and spa treatments, and they still charged me £5 parking for each car! Even pointing out the fact we were spending so much money with them already, they wouldn't budge!! there was no free bottle of wine or champagne which I would have expected for such a special occassion. One of my girls had to drop out last minute, the hotel would not provide her a refund, and because two people were sharing one room, they still charged for two people even though there was only one guest in that particular room. The hotel is a ten minute walk from the centre of Bath, being a hen party we did have one night out in the town, and it was nice to know that the hotel has someone at front desk all night so we didn't have to worry about getting back for a certain time. The food was lovely, but unfortunately at breakfast in the morning, we were seated but then waited over an hour for a cooked breakfast and the service was not up to standard. it seems that they struggled to cope feeding big parties and I was not impressed as Our party had other things planned which we were now late for. There were a number of eastern European staff at this hotel, but I must say they were more hard working then the English staff and a lot more attentive and polite, the English staff let us down. Brilliant hotel but would not advise to go with a big group, as you don't get any benefits or extras and it seems the hotel struggle a bit with big parties.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hannah S
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

There is a huge gap between the way this hotel is marketed, priced and sold and the reality of what it is actually like. Potential guests must really take this into consideration before booking. We agreed to pay £325 per night for a 2 night break and ended up leaving after one night. On arrival (at the not unusual hour of 8pm), it was clear that for a large property there were hardly any staff; the first room we were shown wasn't cleaned properly and some of the lights weren't working; the second room was better but was tired and the bathrooms were particularly dated. During breakfast we discovered a 'human hair' in the eggs benedict and none of the TV channels were tuned correctly in the room. In short, we couldn't relax and there were a series of problems that spoilt the stay. I spoke to Brian, a duty manager; who to be fair dealt with my complaints calmly and with speed, cancelled my second night and any extras we had consumed and seemed to show an all too familiar empathy with my problems. I suspected it wasn't the first time he had heard such complaints. The prices set an expectation that the hotel simply cannot meet. I suggest staying here once they have a makeover!

6 Thank Simon R
southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Very enjoyable stay.Wet weather on our first day so we stayed in and made use of the excellent spa . Would have preferred it to be adults only as it felt like a kids club in the pool. Noisy and lots of crying. Don't think they were staying at the hotel but simply paying to use the facility. It rather spoilt the ambience.
The bar and lounge were relaxing with attentive but not pushy staff. Evening meal excellent. Portion size ample - I hate being over-fed! Delicious petit fours. It will be nice when the dining room gets the new chairs they are expecting
Next day the concierge was most helpul directing us to Castlecombe & Lacock - two very pretty villages.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank veronica p
Arundel, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Spent one night recently at Spa Hotel. Did not match up to its 5* rating, more 4*. Staff very helpful but parts of hotel very shabby. Dining room very bland and some seats badly stained and with burns in them. Food excellent, well presented and very tasty. Room good size, nicely presented but walls very thin especially between floors. Spent an interesting time listening to the man in the room above who had bladder troubles using the bathroom a couple of times during the night. You could hear everything!

I was not happy that we and others had to queue for breakfast about 5 minutes and then having sat down with a cool coffee and toast had to remind the head waiter to take our order for a full english. No real apology forthcoming. Although the breakfast was very nice it was not worth £19.50.

Overall a lovely hotel but on the odd occasion resembled McDonald not Macdonalds.

1 Thank Arundel2