MacDonald Bath Spa Hotel
US$218
US$204
US$497
US$378
Holiday Inn Express Bath(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$108
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
US$133
US$120
  • Room Service
Bailbrook House Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$136
Agoda.com
US$121
PremierInn.com
4,849 results
All reviewsice roomimperial suitevellore restaurantsalt roomoutdoor poollovely hotelbath spaon arrivalcooked breakfastmolton brown toiletriesspecial occasionbirthday treatrelaxing staycar parkafternoon teacity centrefour poster bed
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed for Easter for 3 nights and although it really is stepping back in time by about 40 years, it is great! We had dinner, bed and breakfast included in our deal and what a relief that was because the prices on the menu were horrendous.

Having said that the food was very good.

All in all a great time had.

Room Tip: Make sure your dinner is include!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chubbychubs
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We arrived in Bath at the Macdonald spa needing to rest and relax after a whirlwind 5 days in London. We grabbed a cab from the train station as we weren't quite sure of the distance. I would recommend a cab if you have luggage, it's walkable but not comfortable with suitcases. Cab ride was 5-ish pounds so don't pay more.

The grounds are divinely manicured, beautiful gardens, fountains and a lovely footpath winding through. We were greeted by highly attentive butlers and checked in easily at the front desk. As our rooms were not ready we had lunch in the Al Fresco restaurant overlooking a lovely patio and fountain. Our waitress was friendly and helpful and the food was magnificent, they easily accepted the 2-for-1 voucher we printed from the First Great Western website. My husband tried Bath Ale and liked it very much. Our room was ready by the time we were done with lunch, we were on the first floor at the end of the hall - I was so happy to not have to deal with stairs and lifts for a change.

When we opened the door I almost couldn't believe my eyes - the room was bigger than my living room at home! Great big bed, a sitting area and a terrace overlooking the back of the hotel (spa area) and surrounding hillside. I flung the doors open immediately for fresh air and the tranquil sound of the birds. Divine bathroom with marble and dark wood. A bidet (!) and an enormous tub easily big enough for two. I was happy to have a mini fridge for the necessities (Diet Coke, ice cold). Plenty of drawer space and wardrobes if you're going to unpack and stay a while.

And now for the spa. We didn't have any services but the spa complex has enough amenities to keep one quite entertained. A regular indoor pool and jacuzzi tub with plenty of chairs for lounging. Then there's the hot pool which starts out inside but transports you outside onto a back deck area. Deliciously warm with tiled spots for sitting, massaging jets and a waterfall that will give you a delightful shoulder massage. The sun actually came out for a bit one morning and I found myself in heaven floating in the warm water with the sun shining down on me. That deck would be divine for lounging on a sunny day with a cocktail, I would love to return in a more favorable season. Inside there are several more options for relaxation - a eucalyptus steam room, a traditional sauna, an infrared heat room (which is apparently a more gentle heat than a sauna), a salt steam room and an ice room where you can rub down with crushed ice and plunge into a cold shower. It was all very clean and obviously well maintained - I was a contented lump after trying them all. The locker room was very nice too but I had difficulty controlling the temperature of the shower - most likely it was my own stupidity rather than any fault of the spa.

Bath itself is a great town to visit though you will be tempted not to leave the spa once you check in. We found it so relaxing that we never went out for dinner, just ordered room service as we were so content. The continental breakfast was nothing special, the usual selection of juices, breads and cereals, additional charge for hot items - my husband tried the free-range eggs benedict and it was very tasty. We were pleased that the free wifi had reception all the way back to our room though the signal was best in the lounge next to the restaurant. The butlers/front desk staff were very helpful in answering our questions about the town and it was a lovely walk into town. We did manage to get out to visit Thermae Spa (we went before we used the spa at our hotel which was good because the hotel's was MUCH nicer), the Roman Baths (amazing, must must must!), the abbey and some light shopping. All in all a wonderful place to visit - Macdonald is top notch and a must stay.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad room in the place.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beth W
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We are very widely travelled and have stayed in a huge range of hotels across Europe, Asia, Africa and N America.
Quite simply this was the best hotel we have ever been in.
Our room was well appointed in every detail and, situated on the third floor, gave us wonderful views over the city.
All the staff with whom we dealt were polite, helpful and thoroughly professional from the moment that we arrived until our check out.
The selection at breakfast was excellent and the food well cooked and served.
I have read the negative comments elsewhere about the parking charge. On the one hand I agree with them as I find parking charges in UK a rip off from one end of the country to the other; on the other hand £5.00 for a long weekend in a major tourist destination where everything is within walking distance is a snip.
I did not use the spa but my 'other half' did and found it first class.
Final comment: I hope that we will be back soon and am looking forward to our return visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We have stayed in quite a few Macdonald Hotels (which we cannot recommend highly enough)and found this one the best so far, quite superb in fact. The hotel is splendid to behold, both inside and out, in a lovely, quiet and very convenient location only ten minutes walk from the city centre and tourist sites. Car park facilities are very good with only a small charge levied for the entire stay - £5 I think (not per day as suggested by the web site). Every member of staff (and I mean EVERY member) performed to a very high standard and were a credit to the company; very helpful, cheerful, friendly and profesional. The hotel is very elegant, superbly decorated and classy but without being 'stuffy' or pretentious - fully deserving of its five star rating as far as I am concerned. The check-in experience was very slick and a lovely member of staff (Hazel?) gave us a guided tour and showed us to our room. We were upgraded to a garden view room situated on the ground floor opposite the spa - a lovely quiet location. The room was large, spotlessly clean and very very well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and we thouroughly enjoyed the accomodation provided. Breakfast was excellent when served in either the Velore or al fresco dining area...........additional supplements cannot though be justified in my view when already paying £20 for a cooked meal. We enjoyed tea and cakes served in the longe area (good value) and a wonderful evening meal in the Velore room - not cheap but well worth it. Found alcoholic drinks almost prohibitively expensive though (over £10 for small cocktail) and the room service well, difficult to justify nearly £14 for a cheese sandwich when 'tray charge' of £5 factored in!! Enjoyed using the spa which was very well equipped and also a treatment at extra charge - again quite expensive BUT superb and well worth it for a treat. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and, although far from cheap, found the hotel exceeded our expectations in every respect - would highly recommend without hesitation and look forward to going back. The staff made our stay extra special - a very big well done to all of them!

Room Tip: Try and get a garden view room - great standard and very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DenningHertfordshire
Reviewed 7 May 2012

As the taxi drove up the long and beautiful drive to our hotel, I thought "We must of come to the wrong place!" My husband assured me this was the correct hotel! It was so very, very beautiful! The staff was also wonderful! The room, was beautiful! The bathroom, to die for! Would we stay there again, you bet we would, in a nano second! This is a 5 star hotel for good reasons!

Room Tip: If you can, travel off season for a good price.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple