“What an amazing Hotel”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 23 May 2012

This was our second visit to the hotel and once again it did not disappoint. From the moment the conciege and his staff removed our bags from the car and then parked it up we knew the service had not changed. Nothing was to much trouble the location was excellant we did not move the car the for the whole three days, just strolled into town for shopping, sight seeing and diner. The spa facillities are great although my wife and I did not take any of the treatments on offer. The meal we had in the Alfresco was top quality. The service from all members of staff was excellent. Hope to stay again soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

We booked a 'Deluxe 1 night spa break' which consisted of 1 treatment each, full use of the spa, dinner, and B&B. On booking this, we chose our treatment and time for dinner. I checked the web site for checking in time, as we wanted a long afternoon in the spa and it said 2:30pm. When we arrived, there was no room ready. As we had spa treatments booked, they upgraded us to another room so that we could get changed etc. which was helpful. They then informed us that we couldn't have dinner until after 9pm as they had a function. The fact that we had already booked 7:30pm made no difference. Also, on checking in they asked for a credit card which they wanted to authorise £150 on. I don't use credit cards so offered them a debit card. This wasn't any good to them, so I agreed to pay cash on my exit if I ran any bills up.

The room, and the entire hotel, was clean, if a little 'old' looking. The lifts only worked when they wanted to though. The room felt bare to me; not much more than you'd get from a Premier Inn. Not sure what I was expecting, but the '5 star' tag promised more. Some TV stations didn't work (standard) and the mini bar was empty. No net curtains on one of the main windows, which on ground level meant the curtains had to be kept shut. The shower was a waste of time and the knob fell off when touched. Ended up using the shower hose connected to the taps. The hotel staff were all very friendly, almost 'fake' friendly. But I guess that's expected.

Spa was very good, clean, with friendly staff.

At 9pm we went for dinner. The menu was very limited I thought, but the food was stunningly nice. It did, however, take us ages to get served. It took 45 minutes for them to take our order and we still had no wine after 1 hour. My Wife was ready to leave at this point and I was very close to agreeing. Only the time, and lack of availability of food elsewhere stopped me. At the end of the meal we were given a bill and informed we would have to settle it there and then as we weren't prepared to give them a credit card at registration! I can't say how embarrassing this was, having to leave my Wife sitting there alone, as I went back to the room to fetch my debit card (which wasn't good enough at reception apparently). We noticed three other couples/guests having to do the same thing. Even in a small hotel there's enough trust that you'll settle your bill without running. Clearly '5 star' hotels suffer from hoards of non-paying runners to the point they have to treat their guests like this. Ironically, they have a sign in reception that states they have to charge 2% for accounts settled by credit card. That made me smile!

On waking up, I was greeted by a bill put under the room door, for £6. This was £5 for car parking and £1 for charity. £300 for a room and they charge £5 for parking? The charity thing (which I paid) is an insult. Just put a box on the counter, or in the room. People should be allowed to choose their own charities to support and not have to feel guilty should they wish to argue the bill. Disgraceful.

On settling my bill, after waiting 15 minutes for service as the two girls were having to deal with a man who was having trouble checking out as he hadn't given them a credit card........) I wasn't even asked if everything was ok on my stay. I can only guess the staff are fed up with the answer to that one.

I'll remember this hotel chain; never again. We were supposed to relax and leave refreshed. Instead, we left angry and wound up. Horrible. I can only apologise to my Wife for choosing such a bad hotel for our one year Wedding Anniversary.

3  Thank MikeOxford
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We went with friends to spend a weekend. The level of service was very disappointing and well under the level of expectation for a "5 star" luxury hotel.

The positive:
The hotel and grounds are beautiful. The natural wear of the building and fixtures didn't seem like neglect but instead made it feel historically charming. There were some modern touches that were welcome such as nice beds and comfortable bedding. And the hydrotherapies at the spa were quite nice.

The negatives:

Breakfast
-When we asked a server if we could order tea and coffee, she said that she is not the right person and we'll just have to wait. Although during our entire breakfast, she wasn't busy as she stood at her station moving plates from one shelf to another, folding and unfolding the same napkins, sorting cutlery, etc. She looked more like a person who was trying to look busy to avoid doing work.
-Our coffees and teas orders were not taken until our hot breakfast order was taken.
-Our hot breakfast order was taken after at least a 30-40 minute wait.
-Our cold buffet plates were not cleared before our hot breakfast orders arrived. We cleared them ourselves.
-Half way through our hot breakfasts, we again asked for our teas and coffees. A waiter said that he "would like to remind us that there are not enough coffee and tea pots, so we will just have to wait."
-But most disappointingly, no one was apologetic. We were not unreasonable or demanding; we sat patiently.

Spa:
-The spa closed 15 minutes early. Apparently the leisure attendant was the only person on duty Sunday evening, but if the spa is to close at 8:45pm, then the sign should indicate so.
-The leisure attendant came outside while we and other guests were in the outdoor pool and stated the pool is closing and he started to unroll the pool cover.
-The changing facilities at the spa were unacceptable. There were dirty towels on the floors, counters, benches, loo, etc. The loos had run out of toilet paper, and there were no more kit bags. It seemed as though there is no regular maid service throughout the day.

Before I wrote this review, I sent a letter to Mr. Clubbe, the General Manager. He kindly responded stating, "The description of your service experience was clearly not of the usually very high levels of service offered and I would like to apologise most profusely for your disappointment..." I thoroughly appreciate his response.

But then he proceeded with comments that justified or refuted the bad service. For example, he wrote that a feedback such as mine is extremely unusual for the hotel and that my comments are not reflective of the usual feedback they receive. In honesty, I'm doubtful this is the case considering that there are negative reviews. Then in the letter, he proceeded to inform me that when he spoke with the leisure attendant on duty that evening, the attendant said he carried out the normal procedure. I'm to understand that he is more willing to believe the attendant rather than me. I guess what is the point of me writing a letter to management if my comments are taken so inconsequentially.

However, he did offered me a 50% discount on the published rate for my future accommodation at this hotel. It was a nice gesture although meaningless and of no real significance. Afterall, he did footnote, "Accommodation rate offer is only valid for one year and is subject to availability and will exclude peak or event dates." Again, I appreciate his "efforts."

Truly, I think service may be hit or miss at any given time. So, I couldn't say, "Do NOT stay here!" But I am somewhat dissatisfied with how it was resolved... or unresolved. Our experience with this poor guest/customer service is enough to keep us from returning to this spa hotel. There are too many charming and luxurious spa hotels to chose from.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank J_fnk
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed for Easter for 3 nights and although it really is stepping back in time by about 40 years, it is great! We had dinner, bed and breakfast included in our deal and what a relief that was because the prices on the menu were horrendous.

Having said that the food was very good.

All in all a great time had.

Room Tip: Make sure your dinner is include!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chubbychubs
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We arrived in Bath at the Macdonald spa needing to rest and relax after a whirlwind 5 days in London. We grabbed a cab from the train station as we weren't quite sure of the distance. I would recommend a cab if you have luggage, it's walkable but not comfortable with suitcases. Cab ride was 5-ish pounds so don't pay more.

The grounds are divinely manicured, beautiful gardens, fountains and a lovely footpath winding through. We were greeted by highly attentive butlers and checked in easily at the front desk. As our rooms were not ready we had lunch in the Al Fresco restaurant overlooking a lovely patio and fountain. Our waitress was friendly and helpful and the food was magnificent, they easily accepted the 2-for-1 voucher we printed from the First Great Western website. My husband tried Bath Ale and liked it very much. Our room was ready by the time we were done with lunch, we were on the first floor at the end of the hall - I was so happy to not have to deal with stairs and lifts for a change.

When we opened the door I almost couldn't believe my eyes - the room was bigger than my living room at home! Great big bed, a sitting area and a terrace overlooking the back of the hotel (spa area) and surrounding hillside. I flung the doors open immediately for fresh air and the tranquil sound of the birds. Divine bathroom with marble and dark wood. A bidet (!) and an enormous tub easily big enough for two. I was happy to have a mini fridge for the necessities (Diet Coke, ice cold). Plenty of drawer space and wardrobes if you're going to unpack and stay a while.

And now for the spa. We didn't have any services but the spa complex has enough amenities to keep one quite entertained. A regular indoor pool and jacuzzi tub with plenty of chairs for lounging. Then there's the hot pool which starts out inside but transports you outside onto a back deck area. Deliciously warm with tiled spots for sitting, massaging jets and a waterfall that will give you a delightful shoulder massage. The sun actually came out for a bit one morning and I found myself in heaven floating in the warm water with the sun shining down on me. That deck would be divine for lounging on a sunny day with a cocktail, I would love to return in a more favorable season. Inside there are several more options for relaxation - a eucalyptus steam room, a traditional sauna, an infrared heat room (which is apparently a more gentle heat than a sauna), a salt steam room and an ice room where you can rub down with crushed ice and plunge into a cold shower. It was all very clean and obviously well maintained - I was a contented lump after trying them all. The locker room was very nice too but I had difficulty controlling the temperature of the shower - most likely it was my own stupidity rather than any fault of the spa.

Bath itself is a great town to visit though you will be tempted not to leave the spa once you check in. We found it so relaxing that we never went out for dinner, just ordered room service as we were so content. The continental breakfast was nothing special, the usual selection of juices, breads and cereals, additional charge for hot items - my husband tried the free-range eggs benedict and it was very tasty. We were pleased that the free wifi had reception all the way back to our room though the signal was best in the lounge next to the restaurant. The butlers/front desk staff were very helpful in answering our questions about the town and it was a lovely walk into town. We did manage to get out to visit Thermae Spa (we went before we used the spa at our hotel which was good because the hotel's was MUCH nicer), the Roman Baths (amazing, must must must!), the abbey and some light shopping. All in all a wonderful place to visit - Macdonald is top notch and a must stay.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad room in the place.
2  Thank Beth W
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We are very widely travelled and have stayed in a huge range of hotels across Europe, Asia, Africa and N America.
Quite simply this was the best hotel we have ever been in.
Our room was well appointed in every detail and, situated on the third floor, gave us wonderful views over the city.
All the staff with whom we dealt were polite, helpful and thoroughly professional from the moment that we arrived until our check out.
The selection at breakfast was excellent and the food well cooked and served.
I have read the negative comments elsewhere about the parking charge. On the one hand I agree with them as I find parking charges in UK a rip off from one end of the country to the other; on the other hand £5.00 for a long weekend in a major tourist destination where everything is within walking distance is a snip.
I did not use the spa but my 'other half' did and found it first class.
Final comment: I hope that we will be back soon and am looking forward to our return visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We have stayed in quite a few Macdonald Hotels (which we cannot recommend highly enough)and found this one the best so far, quite superb in fact. The hotel is splendid to behold, both inside and out, in a lovely, quiet and very convenient location only ten minutes walk from the city centre and tourist sites. Car park facilities are very good with only a small charge levied for the entire stay - £5 I think (not per day as suggested by the web site). Every member of staff (and I mean EVERY member) performed to a very high standard and were a credit to the company; very helpful, cheerful, friendly and profesional. The hotel is very elegant, superbly decorated and classy but without being 'stuffy' or pretentious - fully deserving of its five star rating as far as I am concerned. The check-in experience was very slick and a lovely member of staff (Hazel?) gave us a guided tour and showed us to our room. We were upgraded to a garden view room situated on the ground floor opposite the spa - a lovely quiet location. The room was large, spotlessly clean and very very well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and we thouroughly enjoyed the accomodation provided. Breakfast was excellent when served in either the Velore or al fresco dining area...........additional supplements cannot though be justified in my view when already paying £20 for a cooked meal. We enjoyed tea and cakes served in the longe area (good value) and a wonderful evening meal in the Velore room - not cheap but well worth it. Found alcoholic drinks almost prohibitively expensive though (over £10 for small cocktail) and the room service well, difficult to justify nearly £14 for a cheese sandwich when 'tray charge' of £5 factored in!! Enjoyed using the spa which was very well equipped and also a treatment at extra charge - again quite expensive BUT superb and well worth it for a treat. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and, although far from cheap, found the hotel exceeded our expectations in every respect - would highly recommend without hesitation and look forward to going back. The staff made our stay extra special - a very big well done to all of them!

Room Tip: Try and get a garden view room - great standard and very quiet.
2  Thank DenningHertfordshire