“5 star??? I don't think so!!!!”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Bath
“5 star??? I don't think so!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

My sister took me to this hotel for what was supposed to be a relaxing spa day, pedicure and afternoon tea as I've just gone on maternity leave. As we drove up to the hotel, I was excited as the location looked lovely and the exterior impressive. We booked into the spa straight away to make the most of the extra £40 paid for use of the pool. Straight away disappointment started to set in as we both remarked on the unglamorous changing room and lack of space to get changed. I had to keep asking a lady to move off one of the two small benches so i could access my tiny locker. On entering the pool...further dissatisfaction as we soon realised that the extra cost of £40 was getting us a small noisy pool full of children (not what you'd expect at a 5 star spa) and a shabby heated pool outside which was basically an oversized hot tub with cracked and missing tiles. At least the outdoor pool was so hot, it kept most,but not all, children at bay. So as I'm pregnant my £40 allowed me to dip my feet in a hot tub (we kept the bubbles on to drown out the screaming from inside) and a sit down on a grubby lounger with a boring property magazine! My sister tried out some of the steam rooms ....and reported back that they were also ....well rubbish. The water cooler had also run out of plastic cups and no extra towels were supplied. To be honest the spa session at centre parks (basic as they are) had already won my vote.
Well at least i had my pedicure to look forward to....
I got ready and headed downstairs to the "spa and relaxation room" greeted by tacky fake candles and birdsong. I was taken into a basic treatment room for my pedicure. I couldn't help but think " where's the 5 star luxury?". The girl doing my pedicure then proceeds to tell me thrrough her sniffles how ill she was and that 'they were sending her home after me'!!! Nice!!!! Pregnant or not, i don't think anyone should have to put up with this from a 5 star £60 pedicure! the girl was nice enough but again not what you'd expect. The converstion topics were not quite right and to top it off she had to keep looking at her phone to check the time between disinfecting her hands every time she sneezed or had to blow her nose. I don't blame her but staff training!!!?! Again ....5 stars????? Oh yeah and they could really do with fixing their equipment. The jets in the foot spa didn't work and the chairs looked very tired. So a very basic pedicure later, all we had to look forward to was afternoon tea.
We entered the restaurant are and had to ask a staff member where to go for afternoon tea. We informed her that we had a booking but could we also see the lunch menu. We sat outside which we soon regretted as we were joined by an entire wedding party. All i could think was how awful it must be for the bride and groom to have to share the space. The same girl came over to take our order and we informed her that we were going to stick to our original choice and have the tea. We were brought tea and cups but nothing else. After 45 minutes we managed to summon the manager who was rather busy with the wedding party and asked where on earth the food was. It turns out, she had simply ordered us breakfast tea. He apologised and said he would sort it straight away. The same girl then came over with another round of cups and tea. "tea?" was all that was uttered. We said "no we've had tea we are waiting for food". So she left everything on the table and left! Food finally arrived and my sister and I could do only but laugh. The worst sandwiches I've ever had (including Ryan air!!!), disgusting cheesecake, slices of Madeira cake, some other kind of loaf cake, and terrible scones. I've had afternoon tea in many places being a pastry chef myself and i can honestly say this was a joke!!!! I've had 5 star hotel afternoon teas before and believe me, this wasn't worthy of 1 star.
Due to the mess up, the manager kindly scrapped our afternoon tea bill and we left never to return again!!! I felt so bad for my sister as she really wanted to treat me to what should have been a wonderful day out. Oh well, despite the terrible waste of money we were able to laugh at the sheer balls they have to call themselves a luxury 5 star hotel!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank wewenthere2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012 via mobile

This hotel oozes 5*! A wonderful nights stay.The reception staff were very helpful which lead to a speedy check in which is always helpful. Even though there were a few people in the que they treated me like royalty. As I was a single occupant they explained how the room service and tv system works, this was highly helpful. The hotel itself was very tidy and clean. The room was very inviting which had a lovely atmosphere about it. I didn't dine in the restaurant however the waiters were very knowledgeable of the dishes they had to offer. Overall this was a wonderful stay and would come back again and again.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Took sister-in-law and her husband away for birthday treat, and we were all very impressed with the wonderful hotel. Service was very good and attedntive without being intrusive. Spa is by far the best I have ever seen at a hotel, just wished we had more time to use it. Location is perfect with a nice short walk into the town centre. Bar prices are very high, to the extent we gave after dinner drinks a miss. Would highly recommend

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

The events team at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel went out of their way to enable us in the local Macmillan Cancer Support fundraising team to hold a fantastic thank you evening for our volunteers at the beginning of May. They kindly sponsored the cost of the beautiful room as well as giving us Spa Day passes for raffle prizes and helping towards the cost of the catering.

We had about 50 guests join us (a record!) who all help up raise money and awareness in their local communities, and they felt thoroughly spoilt and appreciated. Without the help of the great staff at the hotel, we simply could not have hosted such a special night for some of our most committed local supporters. Thank you Bath Spa Hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed back in January for two nights, just trying to have a break from the daily life. Decided for Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel as the reviews for the Spa were very good, and it was only a short walk from the sights of Bath.

The hotel seemed veeery quiet that weekend, however the atmosphere of the hotel itself made up for it! Check-in was quick, the porter brought the bags up and we could kick back. We decided to enjoy dinner in town on both of the nights, and both staff that were on in the evening were very helpful in suggesting various locations, and providing us with a map. They also helpfully booked a taxi.

Both mornings we enjoyed the in- and outdoor pool. Even though an extremely cold weekend, the outdoor pool was sooo nice and hot, and quite an exciting experience! There is also different saunas (infrared, salt, cold etc) in the spa complex, so you can really spend hours in just the spa area itself. We also had a massage in the local spa, both the girls were absolutely fantastic! The whole spa area really has a lovely calming atmosphere. Reception does have towels available as well.

We didn't dine in the restaurants, nor have breakfast in the hotel, as there is plenty of lovely places in Bath as well, so unable to comment on their food and beverage facilities. Gardens around the hotel are great for a walk! There is also plenty of parking available for guests (also valet).

The stay as a whole was very lovely, the grounds itself make you feel like you've stepped back in time a little :)

PS! Their pillows are fantastic!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms towards Bath have a view of most of the valley!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Petersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

A beautiful period property in an amazing location. The location is fab, very quiet and only a short 5 min walk into the centre and very pretty if you walk through the park! We used the spa facilities everyday which are great as a back-up if the weather turns and you dont fancy sightseeing. The breakfast is also really nice, i love how they cook your english breakfast to order, rather than have a hot buffet of dried out bacon, eggs etc - more hotels should do this!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

Just spent an amazing weekend at this hotel. Travelled to bath for wedding and booked 2 rooms at this hotel with some trepidation has had booked other 5 star hotels previously which hadnt lived up to the hype or website. However, needn't have worried. Right from the start staff were welcoming and friendly. The hotel has stunning scenery and set in beautifully presented grounds. The rooms were well appointed and clean. The whole experience was very relaxing with spa treatments, indoor and outdoor pools. Food was excellent and as we were blessed with fantastic weather the whole weekend was perfect. Only 2 minor gripes. There was quite a delay before we could get into our room and there is a charge for parking in the hotel car park. However, would certainly go again

• Stayed May 2012