“Nice hotel but a little old fashioned.”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I stayed here for a business meeting. The bedrooms were nice with large beds and fluffypillows. It was a little old fashioned but that is just not to my taste. The Molton Brown toiletries were nice and the complimentary water a nice touch. The bar was very expensive. We had lunches in the restaurant which were not great for me as a vegetarian but the waiters were great and made an effort to get something extra if I asked. The breakfast was lovely. The location was good and walk able to town, a big hill coming back though. My main issue was the wifi! None in the bedrooms and no 3G access either and then very patchy wifi in the meeting rooms and communal areas, not great when you are there on business. All in all a pleasant stay but if it was pleasure not business then I would choose a more boutique style hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank MevP
Write a ReviewReviews (4,556)

Reviewed 15 June 2012

I visited here with a friend and we had a wonderful time. The spa facilities are very good, immaculate and well presented and a joy to relax in. We opted for a full body massage which was bliss as the service was exceptional. The room we stayed in was very nice, nothing special, but clean and had good pillows. (pet joy of mine).

Would definitely recommend as a very good experience for the money spent and also quite central in Bath if you want to experience some of what bath has to offer.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We had a lovely 3 night stay here in May 2012. The hotel was beautiful and very nicely appointed. All furnishing and public areas were fresh and new. Our room was spacious with a very nice bathroom. I selected the hotel as it was close to downtown and had a pool. I travelled with my husband and 1 year old daughter and they both enjoyed the hotel.

The spa was lovely and I enjoyed a very nice facial and massage. The sauna and steam room suites were a treat.

Our reasonable room rate of around $200 per night included breakfast. It was very nice breakfast, served in the formal restaurant, full English breakfast was offered, including a vegetarian offering. The continental breakfast buffet was overflowing with pastries, yogurts, and fruit. We also enjoyed drinks in the small onsite bar one night, a very cozy, very British bar.

Our trip to 2012 England included stays at 4 properties and this one was my favorite. I would definitely return the next time my travels take me to Bath.

A nice balance of quality and location (walk to the Roman Baths took about 15 minutes, we never moved our car after we parked at check-in).

Concierge was very helpful with dinner reservations.

Room Tip: Our room was on the entry level, around the corner from the spa, but our window was second story, be...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stopped for one night at this hotel. Overall not impresses with either the room or the service. Checked in, and when asked for my credit card the receptionist seemed most confused when I told him I didn't have one, and when I said that I wanted to pay by debit card him seemed unsure what one of those was.

I was given a room on the garden level. The room smelt musty and damp, carpet was very worn,the taps in the bathroom sink leaked and the whole room was tired. I asked to be moved and told that there wasn't another room available, unless I wanted to pay for an upgrade.

Service in the bar was very slow, and the staff knowledge about what drinks they sold was poor.Took three attempts to give me the correct bill.

Overall a very overpriced and disappointing experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank loki9
Reviewed 15 June 2012

the staff are very professional and friendly. We had a room overlooking the front gardens which i recommend although the higher ones at the front also overlook the city. The Imperial suite is to the rear and hence does not have the views. The food was very good except it was served luke warm and the steak is exceptionally chewy which is fine if that is what you like. If the weather is fine the courtyard for taps is a lovely spot. It is about a 25 minute walk to the theatre and only 5 minutes to the Holbein museum, there are usually plenty of taxis in the centre though if you want to walk back.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

It was my partners 40th birthday and we were going to NYC to celebrate. Unfortunately her father was taken ill the week before so we thought it best to cancel and stay in the UK. We had never been to Bath and decided to try this experience. We spent two nights and even though the rain never stopped falling we had a fabulous time. The building is wonderful and the gardens lovely to walk around even in the rain. What it must be like in the sunshine I can just imagine. A huge plus point for us was the location, its close enough to walk down to the town if you wish to explore and I can say it wont be the last time I visit Bath.
The hotel room and bathroom was spacious and very comfortable. My partner had a couple of spa treatments and can highly recommend them. I just sat in the lovely drawing room and read, what a pleasure. Breakfasts are delightful the and the dining room grand.
What made the break so lovely was the staff and service. From the moment we were greeted on arrival till we were waved off on departure the service was courteous, professional and warm.
I can highly recommend this hotel if your looking for a relaxing and enjoyable break.
Chris Busuttil

Reviewed 13 June 2012

My husband and I have just been celebrating our anniversary at the Bath Spa hotel. It was an absolute delight from start to finish. We arrived after having a walk aroud Bath, unfortunately in the rain, to a warm welcome. The man on conceirge took time to show us around the hotel and explain the facilities to us so we were instantly relaxed and informed. The spa and thermal suites was simply bliss and after spending a couple of hours relaxing there in the evening, we got up extra early just to go back before breakfast in the morning. It was such a haven of peace and we both felt completely rejuvinated afterwards. The room was lovely with stunning views across the city and most importantly a very comfortable bed.
Breakfast the next morning was seamless with friendly staff and delicious cooked food. I have to say that the hotel itself was stunning and felt very luxurious but it really was the welcoming, friendly and eager to help staff (concierge, reception, breakfast service, guest relation manager) that escalated our experience to one that is truly memorable.
We are now off the The Randolph in Oxford for a few days so looking forward to more of this Macdonald hotel hospitality!