“Brilliant”

Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Bath
On The World
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I was there for my girlfriend and my "meeting of the parents". Which was set to be a difficult event but all the staff were brilliant along with the rooms, meal & service.
I am sorry I can't single anyone out as they were all great.
Thank you I will return.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
Reviewed 16 November 2012

What a shame - acclaimed hotel but the alfresco restaurant was deserted, playing two different soundtracks simultaneously definitely jarred on the nerves. Soup first course too salty, stale bread and cold butter; though the poached egg and choizo starter was very good. That said, mains were fine but not special. Generally rather disappointed. Final note - staff were quick to try and help - professional and friendly

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Pettkendall
London, UK
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Both myself and my wife booked a last minute 2-night stay over a weekend and whilst the hotel was pretty much full I couldn't fault the exceptional care the staff take of you. We booked an inclusive room, breakfast and dinner rate and I'd encourage that - breakfast is £20 if you pay separately!

The internal decoration of the hotel is classy and I've uploaded a couple of example photo's. We had a garden room view which in effect is the rooms over-looking the front. Not sure its worth the premium and the rooms are average in size - not as large as you may believe. Bathroom was very large and had an over-sized bath - my wife loved it!

The staff made it for us. The genuine interest they had in us, the constant checking to see if everything is OK and overall friendliness for us stood out. On arrival we had a little mini-tour of the hotel to be orientated whilst someone took our bags to our room - a small but typical touch of the hotel.

Dinner was in the main restaurant and overall the quality of the food and wine was excellent. Service wasn't rushed and the wine waiter was very engaging and offered practical help in selecting wines. The meal extras can be a shock though and we easily spent £80 extra over the included meal cost for wine, water and aperitifs for two.

We had treatments in the spa which had been excellent but again the weekend rates for treatments are very high. As some other reviews have mentioned there is a £5 charge for parking but if you can avoid parking in Bath for shopping its probably break-even - the walk into Bath is just 15 minutes at most and its very convenient in that way.

Breakfast was a stand out albeit at peak times you may have to wait a while for a table. A full buffet but a gorgeous fully cooked breakfast is specially cooked to your order.

The grounds are wonderful and the hotel for us was very quiet. The staff as I said could not have been more committed to its guests and for us made it a special weekend. Its pricey but worth it.

1 Thank The_Fussy_One
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I booked this hotel as a surprise stay for my fiancés birthday, and from start to finish, the experience was all all round pleasant one.
To start with, I spoke to a lovely lady Jennie, who helped me to find a good deal for the day I wanted to stay, and as a result, I booked the Spa a la Carte stay which included accommodation, breakfast, and two full body massages.
The staff who greeted us at the hotel were simply fantastic, and couldn't have been more helpful and lovely. The room was beautiful, spacious, and had everything we could have wished for, a hairdryer, iron, fluffy dressing gowns, and a queen size bed. Everything was clean, and the room service staff were very responsive, polite, and eager to please.
The spa was out of this world, like nothing we have experienced before There was a stunning outdoor heated pool which had bubbles and a waterfall type feature, and we sat for hours in the rain at night just soaking up the romantic atmosphere. There were many sauna rooms, an ice room, and a salt room that was magical.
Breakfast was superb! So fresh, tasty, and everything you could want... I only wish I could have eaten more but I was so full up!
Overall this was a lovely experience, and one that I would recommend to anyone looking for a luxurious and romantic stay in Bath...

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a garden view room which was simply lovely, highly recommended
Winslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My wife and I recently enjoyed a weekend break at the hotel. The leisure facilities were good, very relaxing. The staff were excellent, attentive and friendly. I forgot to pack cuff links and was loaned a personal set by Brian...thanks Brian much appreciated. We used the restaurant on the first night and the meal and service was excellent. Our room was very comfortable. The hotel is well positioned, a short walk from the city centre. Only down side was the feeling of being ripped-off for the £5 charge for parking at the hotel even though I was a paying guest. I think I will mark the hotel down one mark just for that.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Worcestershire
Reviewed 15 November 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 day midweek break at this marvellous hotel.
We booked direct on their website and came across a promotional code for dinner, bed and breakfast.
The hotel is set in magnificent grounds and is a majestic old building.
It has changed roles over the last couple of hundred years and has retained its charm and charcter from a bygone age.
We had a room overlooking the front gardens, which albeit was not a massive room, it was big enough for the two of us and had everything that we needed.
There was a large flat screen TV, large double bed, mini fridge, tea & coffee and a ensuite with bath / shower.
It was spotlessly clean and slippers and robes were provided for use in the spa.
The spa is great and has a reasonable sized indoor swimming pool and an outdoor heated spa pool, which was fantastic at night. There are also facilities such as sauna, steam and ice rooms.
We ate in the restaurant on both nights and the food was amazing. I paricularly enjoyed the venision which along with perfectly cooked steaks also had its own mini potatoe topped pie, containing braised vension!
Nothing is cheap, but you get quality if you pay for quality.
The service was impecable and very friendly, but a small word of warning - There is a service charge in the restaurant, which is not manadory, but can easily be signed for without realising it. (Check bill and full list on leaving)
All of the staff, from the housemaids, reception and waiters were very attentive and pleasent. Nothing was too much trouble and they seemed genuinly happy to be working at the hotel.
We had a fantastic time and it was great feeling like we were rich and famous, living the high life.
I notice a few other trip reviews being negative, I always say it how it is and I must comment that to moan about a £5 car par fee is a bit naff, when the location means that you can walk into Bath (10 mins max), rather than pay £10 to park for a few hours in one of the local car parks.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We checked in at 4.30pm with our 3 daughters (11, 9 and 7) who were looking forward to a swim before tea. Whilst we knew children were not permitted in spa areas (usual for a hotel), we were told they were permitted at all, to use the pool after 5pm. We paid full adult price for our children (nearly £300 for their room) and at every stage they were treated like second class citizens. We dashed straight to the pool to allow them to swim for the last 10mins but on asking for a towel at the spa recpetion " for my children", the staff repeated "children!!" with a nervous eye on the clock. It was scene straight out of chitty chitty bang bang.
My daughters were very well behaved, no running, no shouting, no bombing! but were clearly very uncomfortable, and more than disappointed to learn that the pool they were allowed to sue was only the indoor pool. The fun, beautiful pool that allowed you to swim outside into the cold air- was also out of bounds.
We have stayed at good quality hotels alll over Europe and the middle east with our children, and no-where has the reception been so frosty.
Add to that the fact that our room had a large carpet stain, black mould underneath the soapdish, and a grimy showescreen, and I would say the standards and service was far from 5 star.
The food at breakfast was however outstanding, ( and the staff there also lovely).

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family