“Very dissapointed.”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 18 November 2012

1st room had generator outside our window for air con .Put in another room .10" crack in basin, had to plug in kettle on floor, window wouldn't open,,thermostat not working ,no hot water even though we were told it had been fixed !!
We were told by staff they were fed up fending off complaints.

Manager did offer refund but not the point when you travel to a hotel is it.

I welcome an owners perspective of this ?

Room Tip: Do not go here
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,556)

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Quite simply one of the best hotel breaks I've had in a long time. The staff at the Bath Spa make you feel welcome from the minute you arrive until the second you leave. We dined in the restaurant twice during our stay and on both occasions the food and service was of the highest quality. Then there is the spa, the most relaxing I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. Even on a cold November evening the out door heated pool is simply Devine in fact I believe the colder it is outside make it even better. All this with only a short 10 minute walk into the town itself makes it the preferct place for a very relaxing break.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I was there for my girlfriend and my "meeting of the parents". Which was set to be a difficult event but all the staff were brilliant along with the rooms, meal & service.
I am sorry I can't single anyone out as they were all great.
Thank you I will return.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 16 November 2012

What a shame - acclaimed hotel but the alfresco restaurant was deserted, playing two different soundtracks simultaneously definitely jarred on the nerves. Soup first course too salty, stale bread and cold butter; though the poached egg and choizo starter was very good. That said, mains were fine but not special. Generally rather disappointed. Final note - staff were quick to try and help - professional and friendly

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Pettkendall
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Both myself and my wife booked a last minute 2-night stay over a weekend and whilst the hotel was pretty much full I couldn't fault the exceptional care the staff take of you. We booked an inclusive room, breakfast and dinner rate and I'd encourage that - breakfast is £20 if you pay separately!

The internal decoration of the hotel is classy and I've uploaded a couple of example photo's. We had a garden room view which in effect is the rooms over-looking the front. Not sure its worth the premium and the rooms are average in size - not as large as you may believe. Bathroom was very large and had an over-sized bath - my wife loved it!

The staff made it for us. The genuine interest they had in us, the constant checking to see if everything is OK and overall friendliness for us stood out. On arrival we had a little mini-tour of the hotel to be orientated whilst someone took our bags to our room - a small but typical touch of the hotel.

Dinner was in the main restaurant and overall the quality of the food and wine was excellent. Service wasn't rushed and the wine waiter was very engaging and offered practical help in selecting wines. The meal extras can be a shock though and we easily spent £80 extra over the included meal cost for wine, water and aperitifs for two.

We had treatments in the spa which had been excellent but again the weekend rates for treatments are very high. As some other reviews have mentioned there is a £5 charge for parking but if you can avoid parking in Bath for shopping its probably break-even - the walk into Bath is just 15 minutes at most and its very convenient in that way.

Breakfast was a stand out albeit at peak times you may have to wait a while for a table. A full buffet but a gorgeous fully cooked breakfast is specially cooked to your order.

The grounds are wonderful and the hotel for us was very quiet. The staff as I said could not have been more committed to its guests and for us made it a special weekend. Its pricey but worth it.

1  Thank The_Fussy_One
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I booked this hotel as a surprise stay for my fiancés birthday, and from start to finish, the experience was all all round pleasant one.
To start with, I spoke to a lovely lady Jennie, who helped me to find a good deal for the day I wanted to stay, and as a result, I booked the Spa a la Carte stay which included accommodation, breakfast, and two full body massages.
The staff who greeted us at the hotel were simply fantastic, and couldn't have been more helpful and lovely. The room was beautiful, spacious, and had everything we could have wished for, a hairdryer, iron, fluffy dressing gowns, and a queen size bed. Everything was clean, and the room service staff were very responsive, polite, and eager to please.
The spa was out of this world, like nothing we have experienced before There was a stunning outdoor heated pool which had bubbles and a waterfall type feature, and we sat for hours in the rain at night just soaking up the romantic atmosphere. There were many sauna rooms, an ice room, and a salt room that was magical.
Breakfast was superb! So fresh, tasty, and everything you could want... I only wish I could have eaten more but I was so full up!
Overall this was a lovely experience, and one that I would recommend to anyone looking for a luxurious and romantic stay in Bath...

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a garden view room which was simply lovely, highly recommended
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My wife and I recently enjoyed a weekend break at the hotel. The leisure facilities were good, very relaxing. The staff were excellent, attentive and friendly. I forgot to pack cuff links and was loaned a personal set by Brian...thanks Brian much appreciated. We used the restaurant on the first night and the meal and service was excellent. Our room was very comfortable. The hotel is well positioned, a short walk from the city centre. Only down side was the feeling of being ripped-off for the £5 charge for parking at the hotel even though I was a paying guest. I think I will mark the hotel down one mark just for that.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple