“The small things count ...”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Bath
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“The small things count ...”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Having stayed at the Bath Spa hotel a couple of years ago, we were looking forward to a relaxing break. Very little had changed although, understandably, there were less staff - I guess a leaner operation is in place due to economic conditions. The irritation of a £5 carpark surcharge still irks however we had a lovely room, clean and well equipped with great customer service from Sean (Concierge and Valet) as well as the restaurant staff at breakfast.

Breakfast itself was fine, the staff were overwhelmed with the number of guests which led to missing coffee, toast etc however they were professional, warm and conscientious.

The biggest disappointment were 2 female receptionists - one on Saturday evening and the other on Sunday morning ... how they managed to make us feel like they were doing us a favour was quite incredible! Short of tutting there really wasn't much more that they could have done. Saturday evening had us waiting for 10 minutes whilst the receptionist continued her chat with a colleage and then there was much eye rolling, whilst Sunday morning struggled to give us any eye contact at all let alone a smile!

It's the small things that count and, in a competitive market, they are the things that if missing will drive away business.

Bath Spa - you were lovely however we won't be staying again ... perhaps we should pay £5 for the receptionists good nature rather than the car park?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
jackiejill
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Booked to stay for 2 nights under standard best available rate. Unfortunately was unwell and needed to cancel so did so via website at around 6 am the day of my due arrival. By 8. 20 that day I had no cancellation email so telephoned the hotel. I was informed that I would be charged the first nights stay cost. I quoted the cancellation policy on the hotel website which clearly states that there is no charge if the room is cancelled before 2 pm on the day of arrival when booked under the best available rate. The lady concerned did not appear to believe me and told me the policy was to charge unless the room was cancelled by 2 pm on the day before arrival. Despite my reading the information on the website to her she maintained that she could do nothing but
charge me for one night. I then asked to speak to the manager and was eventually put through to him. After some complex explanation of the exact web page title on which I read the
cancellation policy he accepted that the web page did state that if the room was cancelled
before2 pm on the day of arrival no charge would be made. He could not explain why the website
information differed from the information staff had on their screen against my booking. He said
he would look into this and called me back between 2 and 2.30 pm with an explanation. No call arrived so around I rang the hotel and the receptionist told me she had just left a message on my phone explaining no charge would be made. No explanation why the duty manager had not called me when he said he would. She explained there would be no charge as it was a mistake on the hotels part. I expressed surprise that she or the manager had not had this problem before. She said she did not know why this was the case and that they were speaking to head office about the cancellation policy.

I was upset as I have stayed in this hotel several times and love it. The staff and facilities are excellent. However my review on this occasion is poor due to the booking/cancellation experience. I urge other people to contact the hotel to review the cancellation policy if they feel they may have been incorrectly charged following a cancellation at this hotel. NB I have expressed some parts of my rating on my previous experience of this hotel as I did not actually stay there on this occasion.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

First impressions of the hotel are very good. The building is well maintained, it is close to the city centre and it is set in lovely grounds. Sadly the stay we had was really poor. The bar was unmanned and we had to go and search for someone to serve us and it is not as if we were drinking at an odd time - 1800 on a Friday seems fair enough. This is the only hotel I have ever stayed in where there is an additional parking charge for residents - I feel we payed enough for the room for this to include parking. I also, by accident, left one of my jackets in the room. Despite them having my address and telephone number it was not sent to me and I was not contacted. I attempted on a number of occasions to get in touch with house keeping but the phone was never answered. When told by reception that they would investigate and get back to me this never happened despite me contacting them a number of times over a 3 week period. Finally when I got to speak to the same person twice I was told that they couldn't find it and by this time (only a few weeks after our stay) it would have been given to a charity shop.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dan R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

Beautiful surroundings, good service and great food.
Great small gym with a tidy pool and spa area.
10 minute walk from town and its up hill so you can work off your brandies on the trip home !!!!!!!
I wish I could stay here more often .

• Stayed February 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here for a 2-night romantic break. Upon hearing that we were recently engaged, they upgraded us and had chocolates and a card waiting on the bed.

The room was fabulous. Wonderful four-poster bed and a great, big bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was stocked with Molton Brown toiletries and a vanity kit. Bathrobes and slippers provided in the room, which we wore to walk down to use the spa.

Spa was incredibly relaxing. Lovely choice of rooms to sit and relax in. My personal favorite was the aromatherapy room. :) Outdoor thermal pool was also very relaxing and wonderful to sit in.

Both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant were marvellous. Delicious, small buffet to accompany your main course. The mango purée is very tasty!!

All in all, we had a lovely stay. The grounds were beautiful, as was the overall hotel. People may be of the opinion that the hotel is dated but, you are staying in a historical, dated building. I think the hotel has a wonderful, varied balance of modern additions, whilst still keeping its historical elegance.

• Stayed October 2012
Windsor
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I booked a weekend stay here an imperial suite. Whilst the setting and the hotel building is lovely, the overall experience was marred by faults in several key areas.
Firstly, the breakfast was of exceptionally poor quality, and very expensive. Wisely, the hotel insist that you sign for breakfast *before* eating it. We complained and had this removed from our bill.
The quality of finish in our room (an Imperial Suite) was tired, and in need of a refresh.
The 'free mini bar' in a room was poorly stocked (and did not include any spirits ). Tea & Coffee making facilities was not of the standard you would expect from a 5 star hotel, or indeed of any hotel, only two teabags! And whilst fresh milk was in the mini bar, this was not replenished by housekeeping when they made up our room the next morning.
We complained about noisy heating in our room which led to a disturbed nights sleep, no action was taken to correct this by the hotel, and so our second nights sleep was also disturbed.

They have a valet parking area, but didn't have anyone staffing it when we arrived on the Friday afternoon (or even anyone to open the door , welcome us, and help us with our bag)

In summary, this hotel has all the facilities (it does have 5 stars) however, what it lacks is a team willing/able to give the guests the feeling that they are been adequately looked after, and getting value for money.
I would strongly advise that you stay somewhere else.

Incidentally, you should complain to the senior management team, not just vent on Tripadvisor, we received a partial refund after doing so. Curiously, my wife's review has not appeared on Tripadvisor, and so I have written this.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We were very lucky to be able to stay here using airmiles i.e. FREE ! Would I stay here if paying myself = possibly to probably. Lovely setting - nice grounds and clean, warm, semi-luxury interior. Rooms are spotless and well furnished with extras including Molton Brown toiletries. Many of the staff are exceptional in their dedication to service i.e. they just can't do enough for you, even if a little "over fussy" at times. The Spa is nice - not amazing; though I did quite like the outside very warm float and bubble area. It was a busy weekend with everyone here for the Bath Half Marathon and that's where some of the attention to detail got a little lost e.g. at breakfast with the Maitre D' too busy running away to the kitchen rather than sorting out the seating of guests; and no room in the restaurant that evening for us, even though we were staying in the hotel ? I know I am being a little over critical and I would still give this hotel 4 stars but not 5 (just yet) !!

Room Tip: Think about whether you might want a room in the new wing or the old; and what kind of view you can...