“Wonderful”

Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a really super hotel, probably the best we have stayed in. We were here for our wedding anniversary and all the staff we encountered congratulated us and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a bigger room than we had booked, which was a lovely surprise. The building is stunning - it was like being in a period drama for the night and we couldn't get over the beautiful vaulted dining room which was originally the ballroom of the old house. The spa was great and we loved the heated outdoor pool - very relaxing. The food and service in the restaurant were excellent and although drinks generally were expensive - £12 for a bloody mary was a bit of a shock! - we couldn't fault any aspect of the experience. We really hope to return and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have better views but I can't imagine they have many 'bad' rooms at t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thegarretys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 November 2013

stayed here after a horrible horrendous stay at the francis anbd can tell u we loved it!after many a year staying at that disgusting place we now have our new favourite hotel!thanks for excellent service

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank charlotte m
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I stay hear every few weeks for business. It's a great location, nicely appointed and the gardens make it feel that bit more special. But time after time the check out procedures and Concierge service prove to be hit and miss. Slow check out process and concierge needs to try that bit harder with taxi bookings etc.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Just returned from a short stay at the Bath Spa to celebrate my wife's birthday. I booked this as an extra special treat and the hotel delivered on all counts. We were made to feel welcome as soon as we arrived - we found the staff to be friendly, helpful and knowledgeable without being intrusive. The room (top floor Skyline view) was excellent - clean, nicely furnished and well equipped with good views over the gardens, the city and surrounding hills. The hotel had left some chocolates as birthday gift for my wife which was a nice touch. A sumptuous afternoon tea was taken in the lounge beside the fire - sandwiches, scones and enough cakes to feed a Roman legion. The breakfast selection was also good and well presented. We rounded off our stay with a short visit to the Spa - a bathe in the outdoor hot pool was particularly enjoyable. Only wish we had been able to stay longer to enjoy all of the spa rooms. Perfect - thank you!

Room Tip: Top floor "Skyline View" rooms are quiet with good views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nunney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Being greeting with a £5 pound charge for parking and having to pay upfront ( because I didn't have a credit card to swipe only a debit card) was not the best start to my stay. The glass of rosé wine that cost £10.25 was a good finish! Food was good but nothing like food I have had in hotels with lower star rating. I also felt that the staff on the whole were not interested once they realised I could carry my own bags etc. - door opened on arrival but not a doorman in sight when leaving, same for another colleague who was struggling with two bags. Facilities are good if you are wanting a spa experience, rooms are lovely, but my overall feeling when leaving was £10.25 for an average glass of rosé, OMG!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Julie M
England
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Have been staying at this hotel now every year for the past 5 years (as have all members of my family) the hotel is in a beautiful setting as the reason we choose this hotel is because it's so close to bath centre which is where we eat every night. On our first stay I did unfortunately have to make a complaint however the manager handled by complaint well and assured we would have an upgrade every time we stayed which was great. I booked this stay and advised it was my 30th birthday but recieved no upgrade, merely the one I was promised each year but was just a normal room just with a garden view. As said the hotel is lovley but I do feel for the rate you pay breakfast should be included. There are far better 5 star value hotels that include breakfast nearby my town however we only choose this hotel because of its location to the town centre otherwise we wouldn't come here. Bath has some truly beautiful resturants. So as a guest of give years and the fact my company use this chain of hotels ALOT I was a little
Disapointed that no mention to my 30th birthday was given upon check in despite being noted when I booked. Apart from this you can't fault the staff. Drinks and food an breakfast too expensive as sati lovley resturants in bath centre. Room
Nice, coffee
Machine a great new idea. Bathrooms will need some updating over the next few years if they continue charging the prices they do. My only issue with the room was that during our WHOLE 2 night stay we were only given 4 tiny milk sachets, for two people staying in a room for 2 nights I thought this was appalling (I must add one of the milks was out of date!) it resulted us buying our own carton of milk which clearly you should not have to do when staying I a 5 star hotel
Of this price. Car parking of £5 a day for customers staying at the hotel I also find absolutely appalling as does all my family and think this idea should be scrapped! Surely taking the customers vehicle registration like they used to do three years ago is adequate and then clamp all other cars in the car park! It's not acceptable to have to pay a parking charge when your actually 10 minute walk away from a town centre! Staff in spa very friendly, showers in ladies changing room need something done to ceiling as damp starting to take charge. Nevertheless my husband and bath town made my 30th birthday, it's just a shame I didn't even get a happy birthday from
Any member of staff :(

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claud1
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

There is nothing wrong with this hotel. Its magnificent and beautifully appointed. We booked in because we could not get in to the sister hotel, the Francis, where we usually stay.

These reviews have to be honest so I will bite the bullet and say what we really thought. It was so beautiful and perfect that we didn't want to sit in the lounge in case we wrinkled the cushions. We couldn't relax and feel at home there. Also, I ordered afternoon tea in the lounge and the scone I was given had been frozen and spent too long defrosting in the microwave so that it got progressively harder and biscuit like, and I didn't dare complain.

It was beautiful and magnificent but not homely so we couldn't really relax.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue C
martinclubbe, General Manager at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear C we take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we didn’t meet your expectations on this occassion but thank you for your kind comments concerning that there is nothing wrong with the hotel it's magnificent and beautifully appointed.