“10/10 Bath Spa Hotel”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was our 7th visit to this wonderful hotel to celebrate our 2nd Wedding Anniversary with our good friends. We book every year, a weekend break to this hotel as we love the Spa and the city of Bath. On arrival we checked in and cheekily asked if an upgrade was available. The receptionist said she would ask the manager on our behalf and let us know. Within half an hour the Manager Mohammed spoke to us and said as a goodwill gesture he would see what he could do. True to his word, he upgraded us and our friends to two beautiful rooms, both with four poster beds and our room had the most amazing views of Bath City. We had a fantastic couple of days at the hotel - the best hotel in my opinion of the MacDonald chain. The staff are friendly and professional. Thank you Mohammed for making our wedding anniversary so special. We will be back in 2014.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I booked and paid for 10 rooms in advance for my companies end of year Christmas treat.

At no point did anyone say in order to obtain a tab we would need to bring a credit card with us instead we brought the company debit card.

When my wife and I arrived we were booked in to a deluxe double Which cost over £320.00 for 1 night. When entering the room I was so under whelmed. It had a good size bathroom but the bedroom itself was small and the tv was 5 yards away from the bed with the only decent view of it by the door. We have stayed in other 5 star hotels and this was certainly not up to standard.

At 10pm we went to meet a colleague for a drink in the bar. We asked to put them on our room tab. We were served and then 10 minutes later we could hear the member of bar staff on the phone to a manager asking if we were allowed credit. This was mentioned in front of other guests and colleagues.

At all other Christmas parties for the company we have arranged we have always been allowed to settle any additional drinks and costs incurred during the stay/night by invoice or at least settle the next morning by card. We are a reputable company with a good credit rating and dont forget we had paid over £3000 up front.

After feeling very embarrassed my wife complained to the manager about our room and why they were querying our credit?

The hotel did then kindly arrange to move us to a new room which was a lot better and they allowed us to run a tab.

The next day in the evening during the Christmas party night the company paid again up front for table wine and as I assumed the credit issue had been resolved the bar man allowed us to run a tab on our room number and I informed him of a limit.

2 hours later to my horror and extreme embarrassment a member of staff came to get me as one of our customers and members of staff had been advised that our tab was "under investigation".

I had to then leave the party and not wanting to get into a heated discussion in the foyer about why we couldn't settle the tab with a debit card in the morning, I just paid the bill and then continued to pay for drinks using our debit card as we ordered them.

What's more after all this we also paid for the car parking upfront (why we had to pay parking in the first place is beyond me) only for the hotel to put a bill under each room the following morning.

The whole experience on what was a special occasion left me feeling very unhappy.

• Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank MattShanahan1
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We have just returned from a stay at the hotel. Excellent food in the restaurant, and particular thanks to Brian the Assistant Restaurant Manager for his friendly and helpful information, a true asset to the hotel! Nothing was too much trouble for him. Jeremy the Butler was also very attentive. Spa was lovely, although very busy in the mornings, evening was the best time to go. Great location for shopping and access to Bath city centre, only a short walk. A few improvements needed in the rooms, the taps in our bathrooms were very stiff, but in general they were very good, and lovely and warm! So clean that when the maids came in to change the bed linen they took my pyjamas as well! Great stay, and thanks to Brian and Jeremy we will visit again.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank LauraDean3
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Have stayed at this wonderful spa hotel on several occasions for business, the staff are knowledgeable and polite and the hotel is stunning. Great choice for breakfast and you are never rushed, would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Nice for our 8 strong team 2 day event. Great room and facilities provided. Good breakout areas and seemed to have a facelift sine last visit . Cosy fires dotted around the rooms were a real treat. My room was nice if a bit traditional, but please lose the bibles!!!!! Not appropriate on the bedside, really!!!! Also my bath was dirty with hairs but someone had spent minutes folding the toilet roll in to a point with a sticker - very seventies! I'd rather the time was spent cleaning the bath. Nice place overall though. Great setting and dining too with all needs taken care of.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We booked two rooms. They tried to make them adjoining for us but someone had smoked a cigar in one room. The bellboy said it was illegal to do so insinuating that non one smoked in the rooms, but they clearly had. We therefore requested a change of room that was accommodated. The second room we were allocated was fine. Both rooms were well sized, comfortable, clean and the bathroom was spacious. High quality flat screen TV, furnishings and Nespresso machine. Internet is via a third party provider and free albeit a bit slow.

I had booked a spa treatment for four. The problem is that you can't do so on the website so you have to book by phone. This makes it easy for them and you to make a mistake on the date, which is what happened. I recommend asking for them to e-mail you a confirmation of the date and time of your spa session. I asked why you can't book spa treatments online and they said because to many people from the outside book them. Doesn't seem a very good reason and also means that reception or you can't get through to the spa and have to go there in person.

The spa is very nice though. Large changing room with lockers, a well appointed gym and various pool, a sauna and steam room and a lovely massage area with good masseuse who were punctual. The gardens are also very pleasant and the location good--just ten minute walk into central Bath.

Front desk staff are a bit stiff and not very efficient. It took a long time to check us in. Check out was even more slow early on Sunday morning because they only had one receptionist on duty--we were late getting to the airport as a result. Plus the hotel should review its nickel and diming policies: you pay a lot to stay here and to be charged GBP 5 for parking and a GBP 3 credit card "convenience" fee (debit cards are free but they won't accept them when you check in to guaranty your incidentals) leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Dining room looked very stiff and after the encounter with the reception staff we were scared to eat here. However, afternoon tea in the lounge was very good. However, the next day it took ages to pay for a sandwich and I had to enlist the help of the concierge to pay at the front desk to make my train.

They did accept a one night booking which is unusual in Bath and why we ended up staying here due to our other hotel being full on our last night. This was a special treat for my family but for the price I would expect them to fix certain management issues such as the efficiency of the front desk and concierge (one new team member didn't even know how to locate the hotel on a map!) Other than the front desk and one spa receptionist, everyone else was very friendly though. Despite this, we won't be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
martinclubbe, General Manager at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear poleinahole1 Thank you for your feedback we take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we didn’t meet your expectations on this occassion. I have discussed your feedback concerning the reception staff being stiff with all of the teamand I have asked our reception manager to carry out some corrective training. I am sorry you were unacble to take advantage of our express check out facility which would have prevented any dealys on check out. I am pleased you were hapy with all of our other team members and I look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Omg what a beautiful setting and excellent service awaits you at this hotel. We stayed to go to Xmas market for two nights and its was pure luxury. Had also forgotten how beautiful Bath is. We had treatments at spa and that was such a luxury after a full day of shopping. Would have liked treatments later in the evening. Food was excellent a small dinner menu would have likes just a little more choice or a change for the second night as I ended up with exActly the same both nights. Breakfast exceptional but this was an expensive two days and to be charged a few pounds extra for Eggs Benedict did seem a little insulting. Would I go again - in a heartbeat..

Room Tip: Doubt there is a bad one...