“For a relaxing break it's a must.”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Bath
London, United Kingdom
“For a relaxing break it's a must.”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I went to the hotel for a two night break, this was our 3rd visit. The hotel is a leisurely 10 minute stroll to the town centre where there are lovely restaurants and shops galore. The hotel itself is set in lovely grounds, the rooms are spacious, spa facilities are very good, outdoor swimming pool lovely and warm. Continental breakfast was very nice with several meats, cooked breakfast was great and the poached eggs were perfect.
A very relaxing beautiful hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I have just spent a night at the Bath Spa and was truly pleased with our stay. The spa facilities are amazing especially the outdoor hydrotherapy pool which was like having a warm bath outside! The steam and sauna room were great too a lot of choice, with a salt infusion room two saunas, and an ice room.
The hotel staff were excellent and very helpful and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We had an amazing three course meal served to us with care.
The location of the hotel is excellent as the city centre and tourist spots are just10-15minutes walk away. Bath is a beautiful scenic city, we will definately visit again. The only fault I could say was the £5 parking charge, residents of the hotel should not need to pay.

Room Tip: A room at the front of the hotel is better as there are views of the beautiful gardens, the back of...
1 Thank Rekha L
Addlestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had overnight stay in Nov 2013. Stunning hotel and we were delighted to have recieved an upgraded room which turned out to be a suite ! Absolutely beautiful room with lounge/hallway. Staff were amazing. Had great meal in the evening and restaurant was lovely. Spa is brilliant- enjoyed facial/massage...overall a wonderful trip. 10 min walk into town centre but taxi back costs about 38. Lots of shops/bars in town centre plus the Roman Baths are a must see. Would highly recommend The Bath Spa Hotel if budget allows.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 10 March 2014

From the minute we arrived at the Bath Spa the staff couldn't do enough for us. They truly went above & beyond to cater to our every need. We stayed on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast break which was exceptional value for money. The food (both breakfast & dinner) was delicious, with plenty of variety. Our room (616) was gorgeous and very clean. The spa was lovely (we were the only one's in the pool area for most of the day). We couldn't fault any of our stay. As mentioned above all the staff were very friendly, polite & helpful, but I must mention Ra by name as he really was exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble for this wonderful man and he really does deserve some recognition. We look forward to staying at this beautiful hotel again in the not too distant future.

Oxford
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I'm so sad to have to leave such a poor review of The Bath Spa hotel as it really was my very favourite hotel. I have been staying there with my family for 17 years, way before it was owned by Macdonald (previously owned by Forte). When the hotel was being run by Forte it was truly faultless and bursting with charm and personality. Attention to detail was second to none and the ambience was always exceptionally welcoming, warm and attentive. Since being taken over by Macdonald we have seen the hotel slip into a sad state of affairs. My last stay with my partner just after Christmas saw me vow never to return, it's just lost too much of that old charm we used to love so much. The spa is quite nice, and yes, the views and landscaping are still lovely but the hotel has lost its soul. The beautiful hand painted murals of classical Grecian scenes which used to grace the walls of the now defunct Alfresco restaurant (now more of a corridor you can eat in) have been wallpapered over...a decision I cannot believe the management made! But it's a fitting indicator of the way in which this hotel is going...corporate, banal and where it seems every opportunity to squeeze the last drop of character is grasped. Such a shame. The rooms over the last few years are always dirty, hairy bathrooms, grubby taps, outlets, baths not cleaned well etc...pillows were clean on this occasion as I asked before the stay for them to be checked. We had to complain the last time we stayed as the pillows were stained with sweat with no protectors. Details like these make or break a five star hotel. This hotel does not say 5 star to me any longer...lacklustre and tired...I think we will stick to happy memories of it as it shone in it's exclusive former glory and find a new place to stay when we come to Bath. Sad indeed!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Luxorbust
Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My Wife had booked this romantic get away break in January, and in February I had to book into the Macdonald Hotel in Camberly for business (Firmley Hall) after not being impressed with the experience there I was apprehensive to what was in store here in Bath.
From the moment of arrival to departure, the experience was perfection. I would be unable to mention one staff member whom did not seem to go out of their way. The Grounds were lovely as was the Hotel itself.
We had Dinner, Bed and Breakfast, although there was a set menu, my wife being fussy did not like any of the starters, the waitress offered to see if there was anything else she would like not on the menu, and they would prepare that, as long as they had the ingredients, they also tailored the main for her. Thank you again. Breakfast was pleasant, and the room how it should be, clean and comfortable with great views of Bath
The Macdonald Hotel in Camberly need to visit here to see how it should be done, I know they are a 4 Star and This is a 5 Star Hotel, but in my opinion they need more stars here.
My only niggle if any was paying £26 for 2 drinks in the bar in the evening.
Would highly recommend for a romantic break.

Surrey
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed the night at the Macdonald a Bath Spa with my family and what treat. This gem of a hotel is centrally located in Bath, so everything you need is close by. The experience all started from the reception, such a friendly and well drilled professional front office crew. We had barely reached our superb room, and there was a phone call, who else but the reception checking to see if our room was up to scratch and if we needed anything. The hotel has a pool and a series of heated spas, and jacuzzis, and not to mention the sauna, ice room, infrared sauna and salt spa. I would definitely recommend this place as a great getaway, for family, business or just leisure. This is likely to be a popular haunt for the future. If you are a Bath, give it a go, I can assure you won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family