“Fantastic stay”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I took my girlfriend to away for her birthday weekend, and we had a fantastic time. The food was very very good, and the level of service by all of the people working at the hotel is the best that I have experienced, and I travel the world on business staying at many many hotels. We will be returning and will recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear RoyP

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit and that your girlfriend enjoyed her birthday weekend. We do appreciate such a helpful review and thank you for your kind recommendation of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel to your friends and family.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed here as a treat for my wife last week. Upgraded to Garden view room. Well worth it. Room was very spacious with a nice view and the bathroom was nice and big. Staff were great. Everyone was helpful and all staff were extremely polite. The city centre and Roman Baths were only a 10 minute walk. We found the Spa and restaurant a bit pricey but it would not put me off staying here again. It is in a nice quiet area, so it is an ideal retreat for people who want a bit of peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Try and pick a room with a garden view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Pratik D

I was pleased to note that you and your wife enjoyed your visit. We do appreciate such a helpful review.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Hi stayed at this hotel February and upgraded to front facing garden room (well worth the difference). This hotel is child friendly and although I agree the service can be slow the staff are working sooooo hard! We booked three rooms and they ensured we were all together and at breakfast they knew we wanted a larger table without ever asking. A special mention must go to Brian in the restaurant that greeted us by our name every day and made our stay that little bit special. Also Andrew the concierge gave the same kind of treatment, nothing is too much trouble. These two members of staff are a credit to the hotel. Would I stay here again? Yes it is expensive for drinks but it is five star, the rooms are lovely and clean, the staff are polite. It is close to the centre of bath. Only down side they do charge for parking £5 each day and also a 12.5% surcharge on all food and drink (too much should be 5% max), however you can opt to not pay it and being so much I would say don't pay it!!!

Room Tip: pay extra for the garden view rooms, they were much bigger than the standard and only a little extra...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Obe 1234

I was pleased to note that you and your family enjoyed your stay. We do appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it, particularly Brian and Andrew.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Came here for my husband’s 50th birthday and stayed for 2 nights with dinner, bed and breakfast (it was cheaper to book directly with the hotel). First impression was that the bedroom was very small (I’ve stayed at nicer and larger 4*bedrooms in the UK). The view from the room was lovely, looked out and could see the town of bath. We walked to the town centre on both days and the location is excellent (only 10 minutes walk away), it is an easy walk and the weather was not too cold, we tried to see as much as we could. We went to the Roman Baths which cost £14 each, we found it very interesting. We did not have to pay to see anything else as all the other places were free (donations requested). There are road maps all over the place so it easy to get around. Breakfast was OK, unfortunately as we do not eat pork we decided to try the vegetarian sausage which I didn’t like (You have to pay a supplement for kippers or salmon). The evening meals were absolutely delicious. The Spa facilities were one of the best we’ve ever used. Even though you have to pay £5 for the car park it is worth it because it cost quite a lot to park in the town centre. All in all this hotel was very nice the only problem is the very small bedroom

Dear Sandra Shakira,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry you didn’t enjoy our vegetarian sausages but did enjoy the spa facilities. We do have a variety of room sizes available at the hotel. Thank you for such a helpful review.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Will try to keep review concise, but overall we did not feel what we experienced was altogether worthy of 5 stars.

Good points:

Food- excellent quality, choice and presentation.

Sarah- head of waiting staff. Could not have provided better service.

Location - 10 minute walk into Bath. No road noise. Lovely gardens.

Spa - Pricey but lovely, although they could not fit me in for a facial. Nice pool.

Reception - Good efficient service. Listened and acknowledged our complaint (see below).

Molton Brown toiletries ( small size)

Negative points:

Poor service at breakfast. We were completely overlooked by the staff and 4 other tables were seated and served their hot food before we got to order ours. We had to get up and "find" a member of staff to do this.

Cold dining room.

Noisy bedroom. On first floor above reception. Could hear phones ringing in the day time, and hear drawers banging all day and were even woken at 1 & 4 am on our 2nd night by this.
We had upgraded at our expense to get a better room.

Dirty sink in bathroom. Black under the rim. Scaly shower screen and shower head.

Hot chocolates and biscuits not replaced in room.

"seen better days " robes.

Summary: Had we not had such a good deal with the Macdonald "March madness" we would not have been happy to pay the full price. In a 5 star hotel you expect everything to be perfect.

Bath itself, lovely city. Nice and compact and lots to see.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor to avoid office noise.

Dear Wilkes K & P

Thanks for submitting an even handed review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with various aspects of your stay all of which I will investigate to make certain we don’t fall short of our normal high standards.

Thank you for your positive comments and particularly about Sarah.

I would welcome the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel and ask that you contact me directly should you wish to book in the future so that I may take care of the arrangements for you personally.

Once again sincerest apologies

Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel for a two night break. From the moment we pulled up at the reception to leaving, the service provided was outstanding. We dined the first night in the main restaurant which was thoroughly enjoyable and the second night in the terrace bar, slightly less formal but the service and food was of the same professional standard. The Spa is first class with many options to suit all. The superb staff really make this hotel special and would thoroughly recommend to anyone visiting Bath.

Dear Jango Swansea,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for such a helpful review.