“Excellent”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked one night at the bath spa hotel to celebrate her birthday. We spent a relaxing day at the thermae bath spa in town. After leaving the spa we headed off to the hotel. As soon as we arrived at reception, our bags were taken from us. The receptionist was very friendly and the concierge who showed us to our room was very helpful. We mentioned in passing it was my wife's birthday and before we knew it a card and small box of chocolate arrived in our room wishing my wife a lovely birthday.

We were eating out in bath in the evening and as I was getting ready I realised I had a shirt that needed cufflinks and of course I had forgotten to bring any! So I went to reception in the vain hope they might have some on reception I could borrow. As soon as I mentioned this one of the members of staff (possibly the manager) took off his cufflinks and handed them to me. It is very rare nowadays you get such levels of customer service.

I would have no hesitation in recommending The Bath Spa hotel as the place to stay in Bath

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Richard K

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

Thank you for your kind comments about the service you recived and I am glad that your wife enjoyed her birthday.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with all the team as I know they will be encouraged by it and thank you for returning my cufflinks.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon when I hope you will try the delights of our spa.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I visited for a short three day break recently to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. The hotel is in a splendid location, the Spa is tremendous, the food is excellent. The downside was that I felt we were ripped off on two occasions.
The first occasion was when I rang to book the hotel, some 2 months previious. I was offered a 'special deal' which I took. I just happened to check out the same deal some 2 weeks before we visited, and found it was significantly cheaper! I know prices drop near arrival date, but I do feel badly done by.
The second issue relates to car parking fees. Our daily rate was around £280 but when we registered we were also asked to pay an additional £5 per night to park our car! This I found extraordinary- there is a massive car park at the hotel.
On returning home I wrote three times to Macdonald's MD about my experiences and also the very poor service we received one night in the lounge bar - not the restaurant, where the service was excellent. No-one could be bothered to reply.
In summary this is an expensive hotel with great facilities but little concept of customer care.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank roy c
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear RoyC

Thanks for submitting a review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

I am sorry that you felt that the hotel offered poor value for money. All prices are quoted at the time of booking and we do from time to time have special offers available that have limited availability or booking restrictions. I am sorry that you have written three times to the company. I have not received any correspondence which I have not replied so please do contact me when I would of course respond.

Thank you for your positive comments about the facilities and the restaurant

Once again sincerest apologies and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were in a group of 18 for a conference over a weekend in May. Hotel has beautiful grounds and is in a great location - only 10 minute walk to the centre of town.

The weather was great, so to sit in the beer garden with a few drinks and enjoy the weather and view was a bonus. Restaurant and bar staff were very polite and helpful.

Room was nothing special - a bit plain if I am being totally honest. The biggest downfall of our stay was the lack of A/C (or air cooling unit). It was very strange - it did not turn on during our night on Friday night, but for some reason switched on at 7am on Saturday morning (what good is that when I will be out of the room enjoying Bath and the weather??) We did not complain as it was working when we left and returned to the room at 6pm. Left for dinner about 8ish - and upon our return, it was like a sauna in there. The windows would not open and the only alternative they could offer was a fan.

Problems with a fan:
1) very noisy
2) circulating hot air
3) too far a distance from our bed to actually make a difference.

Unfortunately, due to the problems with the room - our sleep was extremely minimal on what was was meant to be a relaxing stay. We left the hotel feeling tired!

Very disappointed with this - if you are paying £200 a night, you can at least expect the room and the sleep to be comfortable - neither were!!

I would very much like to here back from management as to what they might suggest a suitable solution would be.

Room Tip: none of them if the weather is hot and if they do not fix their cooling system
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear ParasK87

I am sorry that you had disturbed sleep when you stayed with us. The weekend of your stay was the first warm weather of the year and the first time that the main cooling system was switched on. We have investigated the issue with the individual room control turning off and I must assume that our housekeeping staff had turned it off when servicing you room for which I can only apologise.

Thank you for your positive comments about the politeness of the staff and the facilities.

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked this for a 2 night trip in the 2nd week of our honeymoon and I have to say it was probably the best spa hotel that we have ever stayed at in England. First of all the staff were very friendly and showed us to our room including a brief show around of the facilities. We booked a garden view room which itself was very clean and well layed out with fresh fluffy towels and dressing gowns for us. We had a long drive so we decided to get room service and the food was lovely fresh and still hot when we tucked into it in our room. We decided to take a look at the spa and we thought this was without doubt the best part of the hotel, a heated hydrotherapy outdoor pool with decent size indoor pool and jacuzzi and then the spa rooms were very good and clean as well which is a must. If I was to say anything bad then it would be the price however you get what you pay for and we got quality 5 star service. Breakfast is a must as well freshly cooked breakfast the black pudding was amazing! Would love to stay again thank you for such a memorable stay

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Simon K

Many Congratulations on your wedding. I am really pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. The black pudding is from Macleod and Macleod of Stornoway

I will be delighted to share your feedback with all the team at the hotel and the development and refurbishment team.

We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully at any time of the year

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights over a May weekend...service, rooms and breakfast were very good in the hotel. Cannot complain about this and the location with respect to the town centre is very good. Only 10 minute walk into town.

Unfortunately, it was a warm weekend and the room became very stuffy at night and on both nights we weren't comfortable. The air conditioning/cooling unit did not work at all and on the first night it switched off during the night prompting me to wake up at 5am in a sweat trying to turn it back on again. There were 17 of us in total in our group and we all experienced hot/stuffy rooms on both nights with poor cooling in the rooms and the units switching themselves off in the room. There are also no windows in the room to open which didn't help.

It's a shame as it really clouded what was a very good weekend but if you don't get a good night's sleep then what's the point. I urge the hotel to look at this aspect of their rooms and rectify it. We came to the conclusion that possibly the units are on timer at night to save energy (as one would do at home with their boiler/heating system). If this is the case, then turn the timer off and give us cool air.

Would stay again but perhaps avoid the summer months!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Rajbabyb

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive and even handed review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you and your family enjoyed your stay and take on board your comments about the Cooling System which had only been switched on for the first time this year on the weekend of your stay. I am sorry that this caused you a disturbed night sleep.

We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully at any time of the year

Reviewed 18 May 2014

All the details are right and the staff very attentive and helpful.
Salt infusion room in the spa was scary with a strange mist, shades of Doctor Who!
We were here for two nights for a meeting and our two group dinners were nicely presented and the food goo. Breaksfasts were excellent.
No problems here - simply very good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear WanderingAcademic

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for such a helpful review and your kind comments about the hotel. The Salt Infusion Room is an experience and I hope you made it in to the Ice Room

I will be delighted to share your feedback with all the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here for a conference last week. I've stayed in many many hotels and would never touch this hotel again. I makes out to be a 5 star hotel but it certainly isn't. The only 5 star part are the prices they charge along with the hidden add ons.
The dinner was ok but not great. Breakfast was no great shakes either eg cold half toasted bread.
The only beer they sell is over priced bottles and they sneak on an additional service charge. I was told that the house wine was £27.50 per bottle but when I complained the price miraculously dropped. Even so, it was still a poor quality wine.
A finally, they have the cheek to charge £5 to park the car in an unsecure car park, which is far enough away from the hotel so that you get soaked when it's raining. Believe me I know.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Derek B

Dear Derek B

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review following your stay at The Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I am sorry that you felt the hotel to be poor value for money and that you were disappointed by the toast at breakfast. The service charge at the hotel is completely discretionary and will ensure that the team make this absolutely clear.

I will share you feedback with the team and I do hope that you might return in the future.