“nice stay, but its an expensive 4star at best”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We have stayed here 3 times over the last 6yrs but this is the first time in 3years. Unfortunately it has gone downhill slightly. Things are looking a bit tired, particularly the hallways(sockets hanging off), bathrooms and spa(missing tiles, dirty areas etc). This sort of thing doesn't put me off and I would go back if I was going to Bath but it is not a 5 star and therefore overpriced.
Breakfast was lovely, great location but dissapointing you have to pay for parking.
Still a good hotel but slowly in decline

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Daniel b

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

We have a rolling programme of maintenance in all areas of the hotel. The tiles in the spa have been replaced and all of the corridors are repainted regularly.

I will share your review with the team and also with our development and refurbishment team.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Bath Spa Hotel soon.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (4,608)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Writing this review really saddens me, as this used to be one of my favourite hotels in the UK. We have stayed for 4 long weekends previously, and have always loved our time here. However, very sadly on the last occasion over Easter weekend 2014, we left very disappointed.
I think the mark of a good hotel 5* or otherwise is how they deal with any issues you may have while you are there. We have never had reason to complain before, but on this occasion a serious incident happened and the management completely dismissed us, and seemed to brush it under the carpet. I find this very sad, as in fact a little customer care goes a long way to retaining your loyal customers. We have since been offered some recompense from the customer service team, but after our recent experience, I am struggling justifying coming back.
As a customer, choosing where to spend your money is a big thing, especially when paying over £250 a night.. which is not cheap by any standard ...In addition to our incident, the room we were allocated was really run down, dirty and in need of maintenance. It should not be down to the customer to point this out. The attention to detail is just no longer here...
However, there is always a shining light..and these come in the form of Joel, Jeremy and Alessandra (who made the best cocktails!) These outstanding members of staff have always been a joy to see, and we will truly miss them!!
If anyone knows of a good 5*hotel in Bath with a spa, who care about their customers, let me know....

2  Thank linda p

Dear Linda P

I value all feedback that we receive and if you are still not happy after your correspondence with our Customer Service Team please contact me directly.

I will share your review with the team both the positive and the negative.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Bath Spa Hotel

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was staying as part of a hen group but at 8 months pregnant I was in it more for a relaxing weekend. Our whole group were made to feel really welcome. Concierge and Butlers were a great help arranging taxis and taking photos and not batting an eyelid at our fancy dress.

The pool and spa facilities at the hotel are very nice, particularly the outdoor pool area. Rooms are comfortable and quiet (even on the ground floor) bathrooms very large and well appointed. Very comfortable beds! Breakfast was fabulous.

Location is a little out of the centre of bath but a short taxi ride takes you to the centre (£7.00) and is probably completely walkable if you have the weather and desire.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah D

Dear Sarah D

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

Thank you for your kind comments about both Concierge and our Butlers. I hope all goes well with the baby and you enjoyed your friends wedding as well.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with all the team at the hotel.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and i are big fans of the Macdonald chain of Hotels,today we returned from Bath after staying overnight at the Bath Spa Hotel.
For the last ten years we have visited this Hotel,usually to celebrate a birthday,or our anniversary,or any other excuse to stay.
The staff are very warm and friendly,we are always made very welcome.
The Hotel itself is so large and spacious set in wonderful surroundings,and the rooms are very comfortable,Facilities are excellent with an,indoor swimming pool and spa..
Highly recommend a visit.

Room Tip: There is no traffic noise as the hotel is well away from the main road,all the many rooms we have st...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Clive P

I will be delighted to share your feedback with all the team at the hotel and thank you once again for such a lovely review

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Beautiful hotel! We stayed at this hotel for just 1 night, room was comfortable, I feel that the rooms could do with updating now, carpets were a little dirty and chipped woodwork ect, bed was very comfortable though and staff cant do enough to help too and make sure you have a good stay! Spa was lovely, quite busy though, overall I would recommend the bah spa hotel and being within walking distance from bath makes it an ideal place to stay! Breakfast was also very good! I would go back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nikki_Dee_1982

We do regularly deep clean all of our carpets and repaint all of the rooms, if you can let me know which room you stayed in then we can check on it.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with all the team at the hotel and the development and refurbishment team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked one night at the bath spa hotel to celebrate her birthday. We spent a relaxing day at the thermae bath spa in town. After leaving the spa we headed off to the hotel. As soon as we arrived at reception, our bags were taken from us. The receptionist was very friendly and the concierge who showed us to our room was very helpful. We mentioned in passing it was my wife's birthday and before we knew it a card and small box of chocolate arrived in our room wishing my wife a lovely birthday.

We were eating out in bath in the evening and as I was getting ready I realised I had a shirt that needed cufflinks and of course I had forgotten to bring any! So I went to reception in the vain hope they might have some on reception I could borrow. As soon as I mentioned this one of the members of staff (possibly the manager) took off his cufflinks and handed them to me. It is very rare nowadays you get such levels of customer service.

I would have no hesitation in recommending The Bath Spa hotel as the place to stay in Bath

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Richard K

Thank you for your kind comments about the service you recived and I am glad that your wife enjoyed her birthday.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with all the team as I know they will be encouraged by it and thank you for returning my cufflinks.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon when I hope you will try the delights of our spa.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I visited for a short three day break recently to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. The hotel is in a splendid location, the Spa is tremendous, the food is excellent. The downside was that I felt we were ripped off on two occasions.
The first occasion was when I rang to book the hotel, some 2 months previious. I was offered a 'special deal' which I took. I just happened to check out the same deal some 2 weeks before we visited, and found it was significantly cheaper! I know prices drop near arrival date, but I do feel badly done by.
The second issue relates to car parking fees. Our daily rate was around £280 but when we registered we were also asked to pay an additional £5 per night to park our car! This I found extraordinary- there is a massive car park at the hotel.
On returning home I wrote three times to Macdonald's MD about my experiences and also the very poor service we received one night in the lounge bar - not the restaurant, where the service was excellent. No-one could be bothered to reply.
In summary this is an expensive hotel with great facilities but little concept of customer care.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the garden
4  Thank roy c
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear RoyC

Thanks for submitting a review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

I am sorry that you felt that the hotel offered poor value for money. All prices are quoted at the time of booking and we do from time to time have special offers available that have limited availability or booking restrictions. I am sorry that you have written three times to the company. I have not received any correspondence which I have not replied so please do contact me when I would of course respond.

Thank you for your positive comments about the facilities and the restaurant

Once again sincerest apologies and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel.