“Overpriced and horrible service”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Bath
“Overpriced and horrible service”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The staff is very unfriendly, especially the wait staff in the dining room.... It also took forever to get anything serviced (coffee, eggs, etc.). The rooms are just average, at best.. It is way over priced for what it is...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Bsmorris70
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Bsmorris

Thanks for submitting a review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your comments about are staff are very much not the norm. If you would like to contact me directly then I would be very interested in getting further details from you?

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future and I have shared your feedback with the team.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is set in its own beautiful grounds. It's about a 10 minute stroll to get to Bath Abbey ythrough the Sydney Gardens and then along Great Pulteney Street with its gracious architecture. The room was spacious and the the bed comfortable. We decided to book a breakfast which was £15 for a full breakfast buffet. The food is freshly cooked and so be prepared for a leisurely meal.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Joyce W

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write such a positive review of The Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

I do hope that you enjoyed your time in the UK and I will share your kind comments with the team I am certain they will be encouraged by them

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The Bath Spa Hotel very soon.

London
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The setting of this hotel is amazing. The gardens out front are beautiful and welcoming. Exceptionally beautiful in the sunny weather. The hotel from the outside looks amazing too, huge and historic. It does have some scaffolding, but every building needs some work at some point, so no issues there.

We weren't able to check in until 4, which seems really very late. We parked up, which was not free, £5 a day?

The location is perfect, really close to punting, short walk into town and the centre for sites and shops.

So, check in was exceptionally painful and long and drawn out, we queued for roughly twenty minutes and then check in took around 10 mins. If check in is at 4, should you not have front desk fully staffed? However, saving grace was Agnes. What a lovely and professional lady and very polite, helpful and asked questions and kept the conversation going too. She should get her own 5 stars.

I eventually got to my room about 445pm, to see cleaning products outside the door and as I was about to enter when a lady came along and said the room was not ready. She was very polite, went in and checked the room and left me waiting for 5 mins in the hallway. All a little frustrating to be honest to be checked in but still not have a room ready. Check out process was very slow too.

The room itself was big, the bathroom huge. It felt a little dated, but seemed comfortable enough to me.

A few minor quibbles with the room, it didn't spoil it, but when paying premium rates, you'd expect excellence. Trouser press lose from wall, tv remote not working, plug sockets by desk not fully working but the main issue, bath not totally clean.

The bed was comfy though and the chairs also really comfortable too and the bathroom was really lovely size and stocked well with toiletries. The shower is amazing and the bath huge! Ideal for a long soak.

My main issue though which actually left me furious was the obnoxious Restaurant Manager. She is oddly rude, which I find bonkers. I've traveled lots and stayed all over the world in hostels, 1 star and 5 star and everything in between and her sarcastic comment really annoyed me. I went to ask politely if all of our group of 13 could sit together and she mentioned probably not in main restaurant area as no tables could be moved, so that was fine, she then asked what time we would all be down. I mentioned maybe 10/1030. Her reply of HA HA. HILARIOUS I found less than hilarious and very very rude. WELL WE ARE BUSY AT THAT TIME. I'm sorry, but I'm a paying customer and if you serve breakfast between 8 and 11, I can expect to be served between those hours, whether on my own or in a group. Obnoxious.

She then offered a place overlooking the courtyard in the walkway between hotels, I said this would be fine and there would be a buffet we could have as well as cooked to order.

The next morning, sitting down at said table and nobody greeting us or serving us, I finally asked someone who wasn't sure what was going on. It was only then, that the other saving grace, Danielle, arrived and said that we actually had our own room set up for us, in another place. She was polite, helpful and very friendly, much better than her boss, who was unhelpful and cold. Left with a bad taste in my mouth from her attitude. She clearly had not told her floor team, and one blonde waitress I heard shouting at her make colleague as they had no idea what was going on. Poor show there.

The Spa is lovely, the spa rooms are lovely (the aroma shower wasn't working though) but the steam rooms, sauna, ice shower etc and pool were just amazing. Really lovely and relaxing. I booked a treatment which was incredible and left me feeling really refreshed, definitely worth it.

The facilities were really nice, the staff all very nice, apart from Nick, who needs to smile and be a bit more approachable. Rather offish even when I'm handing over £100 for treatment. Strange.

It is an exquisite place, but spoilt hugely by a couple of staff and a really delayed check in and equally as long check out process too, but saved by Agnes and Danielle who prove that good eggs exist amongst the bad.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank nomadlad
Dear Nomadlad

Thanks for submitting such an even handed review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

Thank you for your most kind and positive comments about certain members of staff and aspects of your stay. I have taken on board the positive and the negative comments. I am most concerned by your comments regarding your request for one large table in the restaurant. The person concerned join me in apologising that her response to you came across in the wrong way.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future and I have shared all of your feedback with the team.

Brixham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

An imposing building, beautiful grounds... but tired rooms, staff too busy chatting in the bar to attend to customers. Stayed here twice now, but won't be staying again, irritating £5 charge for the hotel private car park and the ridiculous price for breakfast only add to the disenchantment...

Room Tip: The classic room is really quite disappointing
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Andy A
Dear Andy A

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I am particularly disappointed by your comments about the bar staff, this is most unusual and something that I have taken up with the team in the bar.

Once again sincerest apologies and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel.

South Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Just returned from a one night stay with my family. Lovely room although the wardrobe door was broken which meant that the light stayed on all night. Scaffolding was being erected outside
our room with workmen working until 4.00 p.m. and from 9 in the morning. So an afternoon rest was limited. No mention was made of this on booking. No apologies from the management either.
Breakfast - I found to be quite a poor offering at £19-50 for a Continental it all looked quite average and without much choice. Very disappointing.
Also my brother who is registered blind but has a small amount of sight fhe access to the buffet troublesome (not much space at all to move around between the dining are and the small
breakfast buffet) - anyone in a wheelchair would have extreme difficulty.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth021
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Elizabeth021

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of The Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

I am sorry that you were unable to rest when we had work going on. The scaffolding is for an emergency repair to the roof and was unplanned so I am sorry that we were unable to mention this when you booked. I am also sorry that you did not enjoy breakfast. I would be delighted to respond to you directly about the issues raised if you would contact me directly.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The grounds and the views of the hotel are beautiful, the lobby is very classy. The rooms are somewhat dated, but they are not unacceptable. We had the bed and breakfast rate and enjoyed the breakfast which included cook to order options.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it is a short walk to the town center and allows for a wider choice of dining in the evening.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Stimpsjd,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

Thank you for your comments about breakfast and the lobby area of the hotel.

Lewes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

we stayed on night on our way to wales, but it was not long enough. The hotel is lovely and the service excellent. The room was adequate if a little dated, but had everything we needed. A short walk from the town centre meant we could go out for a less expensive dinner than was offered in the hotel. The spa was good, but for a spa it was rather cold in the pool and the air temperature. The gardens were lovely and well kept and the breakfast was delicious and huge! We got a good deal off the internet we thought, but found we could have had a better one (that included dinner) from the hotel's own website!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thesandersfamily2012
Dear Sandersfamily,

Thank you for your kind comments about your stay. We would be delighted if you came to stay for longer next time and do check our web site for all the best offers available. We have turned the temperature of the pool up slightly after a couple of comments about the pool temperature so it should be warmer now.