“Mixed Feelings”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We arrived Saturday. What wonderful grounds and a stunning approach.
The reception staff are extremely rude (one in particular) and unhelpful. We had lunch which we waited an age for and drinks the same. We were given a room to hold all our bags until the rooms were ready. The treatment we booked were punctual and good all the staff in the Spa were lovely and could not do enough (perhaps a transfer to main desk).
We had afternoon coffee and had to ask three times before it came and the other drink never did.All of the rooms were very nice, the beds very comfortable we had fridge tea/fresh coffee, iron/ironing board, hairdryer trouser press moulton brown toiletries everything one could want.
Breakfast was very good. We waited over an hour to be served and it could have been hotter, we had to keep on getting up and asking for drinks and remdining them we needed order taking in fact they took so long we actually missed the 11 o'clock deadline to vacate. The conceriege had three staff and everywhere else understaffed.
All in all a wonderful place seriously let down by reception (if they would like to contact me I will say who and I did ask twice to see the manager) and waiting for meal;s/coffee. drinks. Would I go again, you bet, and I would shout louder for attention.

Room Tip: We stayed in the middle of the hotel none of us had bad rooms and we had 8
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jo C
Write a ReviewReviews (4,551)

Reviewed 28 June 2014

A fantastic hotel, we had booked a spa package for a special occasion.

Firstly, the spa was fantastic, perhaps the best we've been to - clean, modern facilities, ice room, infra-red, sauna, steam room and more including a great pool and terrace we were extremely relaxed! We'd definitely recommend booking a treatment. Me and my wife both had 30 min massages and these were fantastic, followed by a herbal tea in the cooling chillout room before back to the pool - couldn't ask for more.

We were able to check in early in the hotel, had a tour of the facilities and were politely shown to our (upgraded!) room. A spacious, clean and functional room with a wonderful view of Bath. The gardens are a lovely way to walk down into Bath only 10 minutes walk away.

During our stay we didn't eat in the evening, but did enjoy a very nice breakfast and lunch on the terrace. Overall I don't think we have been anywhere in the UK with better customer service, with such polite and attentive staff.

I'd more than recommend and hope to go again in the future. A fantastic stay - don't hesitate to book!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front - nice and quiet with great views of Bath to wake up to!
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were told we can check in from 15.30 however the room was ready sooner which was one good point. We've been given room on ground floor by the restaurant (the Dunn room). It was not issue in a day time.
We used the spa which was nice even thought on a small size.
We decided to have a light dinner in the hotel so we ordered only salad and chicken wrap but had to wait for it over half an hour. There were other 4 tables but not all of them were having food so who knows why it took so long.
It was nice warm night so few people were sitting outside having drinks right by our window. Even though the window was closed it felt like the people were in our room. It was so noisy. We informed the reception that we can't sleep and very bored sounded voice said they will inform the restaurant. This was 22.30. The noise didn't get better by midnight so we called the reception again and it had been sorted.
Unfortunately we got sleep only till 3am because another people settled by our window.
We were looking forward to breakfast after sleepless night. When we were seated and wanted to order cooked breakfast, we were informed to enjoy cold breakfast first and order later because they've got team of chefs and it is cooked very fast. So we ordered only coffee and toast which took 20 minutes to bring. We took the opportunity to order finally cooked breakfast because up to this point we felt like a ghosts. Nobody looks at you, nobody comes to check if you need anything.
Our breakfast arrived after 35 minutes. So obviously quick means something else in the hotel staff eyes. I am not fussy eater but I could not finish my breakfast because I really didn't like it.
I gave 2* because the room was ok, spa nice and staff friendly if you manage to actually speak to someone in dinning room. The day staff at the desk was very professional. Otherwise I would give 1*
Over all very disappointing and I would not stay there again and I would not recommend it to anyone for the money you pay.

Room Tip: Do not have ground floor rooms by restaurant. We had The Dunn room and didn't get any sleep
2  Thank Jana V
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Yana V

Thank you for submitting a review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

I am so sorry that you encountered problems with noise from other guest and this is unacceptable and should have been sorted out quickly. All of our dishes are cooked to order individually and I am sorry if this caused you an unacceptably long delay to your food service. Please do feel free to contact me to discuss the issue that you have raised.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future and I will share your feedback with the team.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The staff is very unfriendly, especially the wait staff in the dining room.... It also took forever to get anything serviced (coffee, eggs, etc.). The rooms are just average, at best.. It is way over priced for what it is...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Bsmorris70

Dear Bsmorris

Thanks for submitting a review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your comments about are staff are very much not the norm. If you would like to contact me directly then I would be very interested in getting further details from you?

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future and I have shared your feedback with the team.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is set in its own beautiful grounds. It's about a 10 minute stroll to get to Bath Abbey ythrough the Sydney Gardens and then along Great Pulteney Street with its gracious architecture. The room was spacious and the the bed comfortable. We decided to book a breakfast which was £15 for a full breakfast buffet. The food is freshly cooked and so be prepared for a leisurely meal.

Dear Joyce W

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write such a positive review of The Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

I do hope that you enjoyed your time in the UK and I will share your kind comments with the team I am certain they will be encouraged by them

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The Bath Spa Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The setting of this hotel is amazing. The gardens out front are beautiful and welcoming. Exceptionally beautiful in the sunny weather. The hotel from the outside looks amazing too, huge and historic. It does have some scaffolding, but every building needs some work at some point, so no issues there.

We weren't able to check in until 4, which seems really very late. We parked up, which was not free, £5 a day?

The location is perfect, really close to punting, short walk into town and the centre for sites and shops.

So, check in was exceptionally painful and long and drawn out, we queued for roughly twenty minutes and then check in took around 10 mins. If check in is at 4, should you not have front desk fully staffed? However, saving grace was Agnes. What a lovely and professional lady and very polite, helpful and asked questions and kept the conversation going too. She should get her own 5 stars.

I eventually got to my room about 445pm, to see cleaning products outside the door and as I was about to enter when a lady came along and said the room was not ready. She was very polite, went in and checked the room and left me waiting for 5 mins in the hallway. All a little frustrating to be honest to be checked in but still not have a room ready. Check out process was very slow too.

The room itself was big, the bathroom huge. It felt a little dated, but seemed comfortable enough to me.

A few minor quibbles with the room, it didn't spoil it, but when paying premium rates, you'd expect excellence. Trouser press lose from wall, tv remote not working, plug sockets by desk not fully working but the main issue, bath not totally clean.

The bed was comfy though and the chairs also really comfortable too and the bathroom was really lovely size and stocked well with toiletries. The shower is amazing and the bath huge! Ideal for a long soak.

My main issue though which actually left me furious was the obnoxious Restaurant Manager. She is oddly rude, which I find bonkers. I've traveled lots and stayed all over the world in hostels, 1 star and 5 star and everything in between and her sarcastic comment really annoyed me. I went to ask politely if all of our group of 13 could sit together and she mentioned probably not in main restaurant area as no tables could be moved, so that was fine, she then asked what time we would all be down. I mentioned maybe 10/1030. Her reply of HA HA. HILARIOUS I found less than hilarious and very very rude. WELL WE ARE BUSY AT THAT TIME. I'm sorry, but I'm a paying customer and if you serve breakfast between 8 and 11, I can expect to be served between those hours, whether on my own or in a group. Obnoxious.

She then offered a place overlooking the courtyard in the walkway between hotels, I said this would be fine and there would be a buffet we could have as well as cooked to order.

The next morning, sitting down at said table and nobody greeting us or serving us, I finally asked someone who wasn't sure what was going on. It was only then, that the other saving grace, Danielle, arrived and said that we actually had our own room set up for us, in another place. She was polite, helpful and very friendly, much better than her boss, who was unhelpful and cold. Left with a bad taste in my mouth from her attitude. She clearly had not told her floor team, and one blonde waitress I heard shouting at her make colleague as they had no idea what was going on. Poor show there.

The Spa is lovely, the spa rooms are lovely (the aroma shower wasn't working though) but the steam rooms, sauna, ice shower etc and pool were just amazing. Really lovely and relaxing. I booked a treatment which was incredible and left me feeling really refreshed, definitely worth it.

The facilities were really nice, the staff all very nice, apart from Nick, who needs to smile and be a bit more approachable. Rather offish even when I'm handing over £100 for treatment. Strange.

It is an exquisite place, but spoilt hugely by a couple of staff and a really delayed check in and equally as long check out process too, but saved by Agnes and Danielle who prove that good eggs exist amongst the bad.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank nomadlad

Dear Nomadlad

Thanks for submitting such an even handed review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

Thank you for your most kind and positive comments about certain members of staff and aspects of your stay. I have taken on board the positive and the negative comments. I am most concerned by your comments regarding your request for one large table in the restaurant. The person concerned join me in apologising that her response to you came across in the wrong way.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future and I have shared all of your feedback with the team.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

An imposing building, beautiful grounds... but tired rooms, staff too busy chatting in the bar to attend to customers. Stayed here twice now, but won't be staying again, irritating £5 charge for the hotel private car park and the ridiculous price for breakfast only add to the disenchantment...

Room Tip: The classic room is really quite disappointing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Andy A

Dear Andy A

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I am particularly disappointed by your comments about the bar staff, this is most unusual and something that I have taken up with the team in the bar.

Once again sincerest apologies and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel.