“I never write reviews - but am compelled to warn people about this hotel”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Bath
London, United Kingdom
“I never write reviews - but am compelled to warn people about this hotel”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I came to this hotel for a work trip, and was quite excited about staying in a '5' star spa hotel. After arriving in my bedroom, I went to the bathroom and found that the toilet had not even been flushed - and there was something very unpleasant in there instead.
I rang reception and they sent someone up to clean the bathroom about 30 mins later.

I had a lot of work to do and wanted to get some done in the room but it was almost impossible due to renovations taking place directly outside my bedroom. At one point, there was a man on my balcony for approx 30 mins, showering down the bricks.

I later decided to have a shower in the bathroom. I turned on the shower and there was no hot water available. I rang reception (AGAIN!) and was told they would send someone over to me. When they arrived, they messed around with the shower for a few mins before telling me that it was broken and advised me to go and shower in the spa as the maintenance men had gone home. I advised at this stage that I was very unimpressed with what is marketed as a '5' star hotel. I was told that this would be fed back to the reception, but was not offered an apology.

Really, really disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank claire r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Fabulous weekend at this beautiful hotel to celebrate my daughter's upcoming wedding. Reception staff and porters were all most helpful and welcoming. The massage I had was great and the spa facilities are excellent.
Lovely comfortable bed-rooms, sparkling bathrooms, comfy robes and slippers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here on Saturday 5th July 2014 and I have to say I wasn't impressed at all. Firstly well over priced by about £100.00 plus and they charge you £5.00 for parking in there own car park.
The air conditioning was really noisy forcing me to turn it off during the night which in turn made the bedroom extremely hot. I have to say I had one of the worst night sleep at this hotel and I definitely wouldn't stay here again. Also doesn't help with scaffolding covering the building either.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Paul D
Taunton
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic weekend at the macdonald bath spa hotel. It was our first time there and it was more special than we had hoped. Very welcoming when we arrived, reception was very helpful and the porter, Chris was very nice. Excellent facilities, we both used the spa area on the Saturday and Sunday. My partner had a facial and a massage, both were very good.

Evening meal on Saturday 5th was amazing, I was blown away by the quality of the food and the excellent service. Wine was topped up seamlessly, very relaxing atmosphere and the head waiter Brian made the evening very enjoyable. Surprised to see Brian off foraging for herbs in the gardens afterwards as well, very friendly and obviously very good at his job.

The bar staff Saturday evening finished it off perfectly, a good recommendation of a cigar from a very smiley friendly chap, and probably the best 'old fashioned' cocktail with a personal twist that I've tasted from another happy chap.

After a lovely sleep in a very comfortable bed Saturday night, breakfast on Sunday 6th was perfect, with the same wonderful service from Brian and the rest of the staff.

All in all a lovely place to stay, everyone was very friendly and made us feel special. I wouldn't hesitate to go again. Thanks for a perfect weekend.

Mr C Busby and miss Hannah Latty

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Buzz1061
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Spent an evening in a garden room at this fabulously traditional hotel. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating, able to give lots of knowledge of the town, where to eat etc. The room was a fantastic size on the same level as the garden, it was light and airy with a fantastic sized bath!!! Breakfast was amazing, lots of choice and again attentive staff ensuring you had everything you needed. We spent a morning in the pool and spa before heading our for the day, feeling relaxed and refreshed. Can't wait to return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Was informed about scaffolding on the hotel a couple of days before arrival. What a shame. This is a great looking hotel in lovely grounds hindered on our weekend by the unsightly scaffolding. Inside the hotel, we found all staff very helpful in a professional way. A little more person rather than profession would make the added value difference, but generally positive feeling from staff.
First night and the fire alarm goes on at 6:15 in the morning for around 5 minutes. As I wake up other half, the fire alarm stops. Not knowing what to do next, we decide to call reception..but no one answers. Fed up, we risk it and go back to bed. This was not a great experience and was not even acknowledged anywhere in the hotel later on. We greatly enjoyed the breakfast. Yes expensive, but we loved the taste and we loved the room where breakfast was served. Prompt service from staff and cooked to order food with us within a few minutes. Room fine but not stand out different for price.

Room Tip: We were in a room facing the spa. Try and specifically ask for a room at the front of the hotel at h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The room was lovely but the food was ok. Breakfast wasn't great, we had it included in our stay but £19.50 per person, if you didn't have it included us a little steep. Also, there isn't much atmosphere in the dining area.

The spa was good, definite highlight of the stay. There are various rooms where you can get salt infusion, saunas and a steam room. The ice room was a nice touch too.

Service was great though. All the staff are very attentive to your needs, with this and the spa facilities in mind it gets a 4 otherwise it would have been a 3.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple