“Beautiful building in beautiful grounds”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Brighton
“Beautiful building in beautiful grounds”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just back from a weekend with friends at this hotel. The grounds are stunning, with amazing views of the surrounding area. Yes it is cheeky that they charge for parking, presume this is because there is valet parking available. We found no fault with the restaurant, and we are extremely fussy. The spa area was lovely, and there were lots of little touches, such as Nespresso machine in our room, to make it a really special experience. There was a small problem with splitting the dinner bill, and charging for a room that had already been paid for, but these were dealt with swiftly and I would return in a flash. Scaffolding wasn't a problem as they upgraded us. If they are to make repairs then there needs to be scaffolding! Highly recommended.

1 Thank LostgirlBrighton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
northampton
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We've stayed at lots of 5* hotels around the world, and this was OK, but by no means great. We booked an executive twin (£220 per night, not including breakfast). We were warned AFTER booking (our booking was non-refundable!) that there would be scaffolding up. I voiced concern but was told people would not be working over the weekend. However, the scaffolding did somewhat obscure the lovely view over Bath. We were charged £5 per day for car parking, which I think is mean. I feel that we should have been offered a small amount of compensation for the scaffolding - they could have waived the car park charges, or even offered our 2 newspapers for free, but there was no gesture at all! The room itself was OK and quite large, but the paint was peeling off the interior of the windows, and the bathroom was tired looking - the grouting was going brown etc. Beds were amazingly comfortable, but if you want to read in bed, forget it - the light is too poor. Pool and spa area is lovely, and we went in the evening, so it was quiet. It's quite small so imagine it gets very busy during the day. Staff were very polite and helpful, especially the room service boys. However, I feel they need to show more flexibility over breakfast. We opted not to pay £19.50 each for a fully English breakfast, because we felt that was way overpriced, particularly as I don't eat meat. There was no 'continental' or 'lighter' alternative, like rolls and fruit etc, so we feel the hotel is missing a trick. Not everyone wants a massive fry up these days. We therefore walked the short distance into Bath, where you can get a lovely breakfast for much less, e.g. Browns does 2 breakfasts for £9.00. We didn't have dinner in the hotel, as I must admit we'd been put off by the number of bad reviews of the restaurant, and the slightly 'stuffy' feel of the place. The location of the hotel is great, with lovely gardens, but when the new 5* hotel in the centre of Bath opens next year, the Macdonald will have some stiff competition, and will need to up its game to stay at the top!

Room Tip: Book a garden facing room if possible, and avoid the ground floor. We stayed in 409 (Executive twin...
2 Thank enigma1923
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I have recently returned from a visit to bath spa hotel.
The rooms are lovely and clean. I was on the garden floor I had a few disturbances at early hours due to people dragging cases outside my window but other than that no problems. The service at both dinner and breakfast was exceptional as where as the food left a little to be desired.
Their was scaffolding around the building due to cleaning of the brick work; it was definitely worth the disruption as when I left you could see the difference it had made.
Overall had a lovely stay and will return again.

Stayed July 2014
Cheltenham
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A group of us have just returned a week ago and we had a lot of trouble! Bills always wrong, evening meal time service was terrible, paid for a garden view room and scaffolding up and dirty windows! Zero apology! Was almost impossible to split a bill! Really upset and disappointed I felt like it was really hard work. Would not return.

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Harriet_Maguire
Reviewed 11 July 2014

English Hospitality at its best with some of Scotland thrown in for good measure.
Surrounded by a lovely garden this hotel gives excellent service with attentive staff. The rooms are well appointed, spotlessly clean and quiet. Make a point to dine in the restaurant. Silver service and the food is excellent. My compliments to the chef.

Recommend the walk to South gate mall via the canal.

Only one minor irritation - they can be slow to answer the telephone.

1 Thank Fiji-Bruce
Chard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We have just returned from 2 nights at this five star hotel which my husband booked for my birthday. A few days before our arrival the hotel e mailed to advise of scaffold work, as a result we were upgraded to a fabulous classic four poster room with views over the gardens. The staff are excellent, very courteous and friendly. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent it really was. Service at breakfast was slow and the quality of the cooked food variable. Well located, a taxi costs around as fiver to the centre if too tired to walk. A very relaxing experience, the sdpa facilities are superb. Well done Bath Spa!

Room Tip: If scaffolding tstill in place ask to be up graded.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I came to this hotel for a work trip, and was quite excited about staying in a '5' star spa hotel. After arriving in my bedroom, I went to the bathroom and found that the toilet had not even been flushed - and there was something very unpleasant in there instead.
I rang reception and they sent someone up to clean the bathroom about 30 mins later.

I had a lot of work to do and wanted to get some done in the room but it was almost impossible due to renovations taking place directly outside my bedroom. At one point, there was a man on my balcony for approx 30 mins, showering down the bricks.

I later decided to have a shower in the bathroom. I turned on the shower and there was no hot water available. I rang reception (AGAIN!) and was told they would send someone over to me. When they arrived, they messed around with the shower for a few mins before telling me that it was broken and advised me to go and shower in the spa as the maintenance men had gone home. I advised at this stage that I was very unimpressed with what is marketed as a '5' star hotel. I was told that this would be fed back to the reception, but was not offered an apology.

Really, really disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business