“Wonderful stay”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on Monday 21st July to celebrate our 2 year wedding anniversary. Everything about it was wonderful. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful and gave us lots of useful information about the hotel and what to do in Bath. The room was luxury and the restaurant served us the best meal we've ever had, and did not fall into the trap of style over substance, as a lot of high end restaurants seem to do. Our main waitress, Jess, was very lovely and looked after us well.

One thing that I love about the Macdonald hotels - I found this in the Windsor one we stayed in as well as the Bath one - is that, even though it's a chain, it does not lose the personal touch. We got given a free bottle of champagne as an anniversary gift as well as a lovely card written by the managing director. We had a lovely time, even though we only stayed the one night.

Room tip - we stayed in a skyline view room, although at the moment there is scaffolding, so best not to choose a room based on the view until the scaffolding is done :)

• Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (4,700)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Loved this hotel. Rooms were spacious and clean. Spa treatments good. Nice area to sunbathe. So convenient to walk into Bath (10 mins). Staff very pleasant. Only negative part was speed of service at the bar, and at breakfast. Also price of drinks were astronomical.

1  Thank Binta2012
Reviewed 22 July 2014

3 night stay
The room was large, clean, opulent but dated (oak panelled bathroom)

Reception staff were friendly & helpful.

The restaurant staff were courteous but snobby (the Maître d' only seemed to be interested in the foreign guests)

Breakfast was ok but disappointing for a top rate hotel & a little slow in coming out.

The 10 minute walk into town is a 20 minute hike back up quite a tough hill & after a day walking around Bath in the heat we ended up paying £5.00 a time for taxis (& we like walking)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Have stayed at this hotel many times, whilst visiting my daughter and I must say they went above and beyond this time, to make sure our stay was perfect. Many thanks to Mohamed, for looking after us so well and to Jeremy on concierge for the extra treats. All the staff are pleasant. We have eaten many times in the hotel, the food has always been good, if not alittle pricey, but you expect that in hotels, plates were hot too. Haven't used the spa yet, so can't comment. My wife and daughter are looking forward to their next visit in September . Once again thank you all for a fantastic weekend.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I've stayed at the Bath Spa Macdonald hotel twice and both times the experience has been exceptionally good.

The grounds of the hotel are stunning, situated in gardens behind The Holburne Museum. The interiors are best described as traditional - some areas are very well presented (i.e. bar and restaurant) however the rooms are a little old-fashioned and don't reflect the quality of the hotel.

Recently, I booked the hotel for my best friend's hen do and the staff really went above and beyond to ensure we had a wonderful time. It was very impressive and I'll definitely be returning again soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I am writing a review for the first time. I have visited the Bath Spa several times over the last 25 years, my latest visit will be my last.

Our pre ordered cream tea arrived an hour late, this subsequently made us late for our pre arranged Spa treatments where we were told that we would have less time for our treatments. There was no drinks or wine list at the bar so were astonished at the cost of a glass of wine and a couple of gin and tonics. We walked into Bath for dinner and were phoned by Spa staff who said that we had left without paying.

The following morning, guilt ridden, we went to the Spa to pay and explain that we had assumed the charge would be on our bill, the staff on duty then said that would be fine.

On check out we were told that we had to go back to the Spa to pay for the treatments....whoever is managing this hotel needs to get a grip!!!

Finally, why they feel the need to charge to park at the hotel is beyond me, the hotel isn't even in the city centre! Basic commercial greed.

Whoever manages the manager of this hotel needs a kick, it is clear from some of the other recent reviews that things are not what it should be in what should be Bath's best hotel!

6  Thank D_S_Bry
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I were on vacation and stayed at this hotel. It is a lovely place to stay and we very much enjoyed it. Food was ok, spa was lovely, and service was good. Walking distance to everything in bath and some great restaurants. My massage was not great but the rest of the spa was great .

1  Thank TraciGaynorfun