“Mixed emotions”

Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Mixed emotions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My Daughter and myself took my great grandaughter away for a meet the family week.Our first stop was the above hotel as my grandson is at Uni in Bath We were delighted with everything at first but then the cracks appeared.We decided that as it seemed to be such a good hotel we would spend another night there.I called reception and asked if that was possible the answer was yes but at a much higher price I asked for a different rate but to no avail.I went down to reception and spoke to the receptionist who grudgingly, after speaking to the Duty Manager reduced it slightly but not the same rate as our first night.from a safety aspect I would advise you take a rubber bath mat because the bath when wet is like an icerink.I slipped and badly bruised my leg but not one to make a fuss I just got on with it. The second night my pillow case looked as though it had just come out of the dryer ,I was amazed the housekeeper had not seen it but again not one to make a fuss !!! On arrival I was so delighted I called my sister and suggested she tried the hotel and she is there as we speak and she did take a bath mat !

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Lovely location and good pool/spa facilities. However standard of service sadly lets this property down - check-in was very slow - only one member of staff. Breakfast was chaotic - my pot of tea had gone cold by the time I managed to get a cup & my room service order never materialised. What a pity

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Hemel Hempstead
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We really enjoyed our few days here. The cooked breakfast was delicious, best black pudding ever! Lovely setting only 15 minutes walk from centre of Bath. Spa pool and sauna were good and short walk in bathrobe and slippers from our room. Bedroom decor was a little tired and not 5 star standard as bedding and pillows were basic. Molten Brown toiletries were a treat. Booked through Secret Escapes so had good deal including parking and bottle of wine in room on arrival. Would definitely return!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Elizabeth R
Welford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The ground to the hotel are lovely and the drive up promises so much, however our stay was extremely good with disappointing elements, mainly due to a lack of attention to detail expected from such a highly rated establishment. On arrival we had quite a long wait at reception, guests were attended to out of order and the wait was not even acknowledged.

Whilst we didn't expect a room with a nice view and the hotel roof top was absolutely fine, what we didn't expect to see was the discarded plastic water and lemonade bottles. It is difficult to see how housekeeping could have missed them when drawing the curtains, unless they too were distracted by the dirty windows. On the same evening we sat outside for a drink and waited and waited whilst the waitress passed us three times and completely ignored us. Eventually we went inside and sought a waiter who was an absolute delight.

The spa facilities and staff were faultless. We were also initially charged for a meal that we didn't have, whilst this was easily resolved by the efficient and friendly staff on reception on the day of departure, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. With that said, the staff in the restaurant at breakfast were efficient and very attentive.

It is such a shame as the room was a good size, generally very clean. The facilities were great but all this was overshadowed by the lack of attention to detail. Would I stop there again, possibly but my expectations would be far lower.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

A wonderful hotel.. excellent location 20min walk into the city.. a bit steep for the end of the day..
Was upgraded to a four poster beded suite with a superb bathroom. Lovely and comfortable.. given a complementary bottle of champagne and chocolates as when booked informed 50th birthday

. The grounds of hotel were wonderful.. the only downside was the price of the drinks and food. For a Irish coffee and a pinacolada £22- a cappuccino £9-50, a bottle of wine in the city was £6, I know you pay more in the hotel but £34----
The dinning room £45 for 3 courses.. small portions extra for vegetables..... lovely food so worth it...
Thank you to the friendly staff for a wonderful stay. A bit pricey £5. Per day to park your car.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Summary: The MacDonald hotel spa has so much going for it, it's a real, real shame it's missed out of so many opportunities to bring this establishment to the excellence it currently only claim. It could learn a lot from hotels such as the Cape Grace in Cape Town, which does class and luxury without the pomp or pretension. As for the cost of food and drinks, it reeks of desperation to cash in on 'upsells'. The below details may make it sound that I didn't enjoy my stay, but that's not the case: I quite liked the stay, I just felt frustrated it could have been so much better.

Rooms: ironically a standard double room has taller ceilings than it is wide. Nothing special room-wise, which looked dated, and was very dusty (management, I was able to write my name through the layer of dust that coated the spa guide). The faux chandelier has a busted bulb. The toilet has a bidet and appears to have been designed in the late 70's. 205 GBP per day for something like this mid-week is acceptable I suppose considering it allows full access to the spa, but charging out 400+ for a saturday night is just not good value.

Grounds: Sprawling, beautiful landscape gardens with probably the most beautiful trees I've seen since Muir Wood. Website does not do it justice - this is genuinely a sumptuous building in a magnificent setting.

Hotel amenities: If you could lower the lighting more, it might make children run away from how gloomy the corridor looks. Honest, around rooms 420-430 it was hard not to be reminded of a ghost manor, and the dated furnishing, chairs that have seen a better time and 'oh-hum' carpeting really do not help. What a shame since a cheap lighting job with a trip to the local furniture shop could really improve the place tremendously.

Spa: The spa is small-ish but excellent, in fact better than the local 'thermae bath' attraction in town. There's a certain lack of staff on hand, which leads to not-so-perfect levels of cleanliness and maintenance (Salt room only pumps from the left hand nozzle, steam room has grit around the door, outside area could use a broom and no, there's no good excuse for having dead insects in the outside pool). Treatments prices are extortionate, in line with what you'd pay at the top London locations. And why were there children under 10 in both the steam room and jacuzzi? This is completely unacceptable but only reflect the lack of staffing.

Service: Did i mention this hotel is understaffed? When I'm required to checkin as late at 330pm, I'd expect my suitcases to be in the room by then, not having to call reception twice to get them at 4pm. And please, stop overdoing this 'butler' mise-en-scene, it's dated and bring no value to hotel service in 2014. I overhead one of the staff presenting the outdoor restaurant as a 'casual little thing with no dress code, for things like burgers and snacks, that sort of thing'. It would have been harder to sneer more at the paupers including myself in attendance.

Food: Which brings me to food. 5 pounds 'tray charge' for room service. Mandatory 12.5% service charge on everything. 25 pounds 'corking fee' for IN ROOM wine. As for the bar restaurant: 15 pound total bill for store bought crips, a lame tuna melt panini (I had better at pret) and a coke that took 30 minutes to arrive. If you don't want us to eat in your establishment, just say it, because you're doing a great job at it. I could go on: 20 pounds for a breakfast not counting service, etc. Management: you're doing catering wrong. I can grab a cab and eat at lovely restaurants such as Sotto Sotto and pay 1/2 of what you charge for substandard fair. And so what if you're main restaurant has 2 rosettes - I've eaten in 3 star michelins that were far more welcoming and less pompous.

Location: 15 minute walk to the city center, painful walk uphill on the way back you won't want to do twice (grab a cab from the Abbey instead, it's only 5 pounds)

Final note: Management, the TV was stuck on that horrible refresh 200h refresh rate that made everything look like a soap opera without the chance for technical users like me to update the settings. Have a look online and please update them.

Room Tip: Avoid the 'cheap' rooms that are in a dark and gloomy wing of the hotel , go for the 'de...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Saronthina
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed at the Bath Spa hotel in early August to chill out after our wedding and Bath Spa Hotel was the perfect location and setting for this. Upon arrival Mohamed Safwat welcomed us warmly and was always a friendly face when we left or arrived back at the hotel. He made us feel very special and once he found out that we were newlyweds he made us feel even more special and sent champagne to our room.

All in all we had a lovely stay. the food was amazing, spa facilities were top notch, the couples massage is highly recommended and all in all it was all we could have wished for.

Kind regards,
Sophie & James.

Room Tip: We stayed in 215 which had a balcony and the bedroom was lovely and big, huge bed and bathroom was f...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple