“This is a beautiful hotel, but 5 star is pushing it!”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
“This is a beautiful hotel, but 5 star is pushing it!”
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My husband and I were traveling with our in laws and wanted to relax at a nice hotel at the end of our travels. We each had a normal room which cost £177/night and includes the use of their spa facilities including a thermal suite. The service was good and the rooms were nice but I expect more from a 5 star. The bathroom didn't have a vent fan in the bathroom and my in laws room had ratty old chairs. Aside from that the rooms looked nice and robes and slippers were provided. I decided to go have an hour massage and it was the worst massage I have ever had. We are originally from the USA and i'm only used to the massages I have had there at various spas. There spa doesn't have a room to relax and prepare before the massage like most in the states. When she came into the room I was never asked if there was a particular area that she should pay special attention too (as I have always been asked at other spas) and at no point did she ask whether the pressure she was applying was too much or not enough. I have had better massages from my husband at home! The price of the massage was in line with what I have paid elsewhere and since they have several masseuses on staff I assumed the quality would be good. I would honestly recommend going elsewhere for spa services. Aside from that the grounds are gorgeous and they have a lovely hot whirlpool outside as well as a large patio for sun bathing. I'm not sure that I would go back to this hotel despite the good points as I feel I could do better for that price.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We stayed at Macdonald Spa Bath for two nights in late July during our 3-week tour of U.K. We wanted an accomodation with gym and pool facilities that is within reasonable walking distance to the city centre, and Macdonald satisfied these requirements. The hotel is in a nice historic building with nice front gardens and very good spa and changing room facilities (although we find the indoor spa bath quite a bit smaller than average). While the gym was nicely equipped with equipment that comes with individual TVs, the hotel did not provide clean headphones (or complimentary bottled water) that we typically find at 5 star hotels. We ate at the hotel restaurant the first night, while the restaurant staff were courteous, the service was extremely slow. The food was okay but very overpriced.

The room itself is also somewhat of a let down, it did not provide any wow factor for a 5-star hotel. As others observed the double bed is made up by two twin beds which makes the specification of a double versus twin room on the hotel's internet booking system seemed unnecessary. As I searched the on-line booking the double rooms appeared to be booked out faster, I wonder if the larger demand for doubles propelled the hotel to simply put two twin beds together to satisfy customer requirement. The bathroom is nice however with standard amenities.

Despite booking the special offers on-line, the bill still came to by far the highest of the 11 accommodations we stayed in the entire trip. As other reviewers noted, the hotel charged for every little thing - newspapers, wi-fi, full English breakfast, credit card surcharges, bottled water at the spa/gym, etc. The spa treatment was also one of the most expensive with very little value provided.

Bath itself is a beautiful city, it is a shame that while there seem to be a lot of nice accommodations not many of them provide fitness/leisure facilities. If we were to visit Bath on a short-term basis again, we will opt for a more reasonably priced hotel by either forgoing the facilities or staying a bit further out and taking transport into town.

Lancashire
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Service was adequate, the room was better than expected in that we booked a doulbe classic and on arrival found the bed to be a superking size, the room was average size and not pokey but extremely warm and stuffy and the air con was worse than useless. The hotel is a good 20 mins walk from the centre of Bath not 10 as described.
The hotel and it's location were very nice, the pool area was good with an outside hydro pool and everything was clean. The fine dining restaurant was very austere and table wines were mega expensive with not a lot of choice. The food was adequate but had we not be on BB & D they were really overpriced for the quality.
There is an alternative restaurant but again the menu is restrictive and you either eat outside or in a corridor type inside area that is not very conducive to an evening meal. The drinks from the bar were mega expensive, you expect to pay more in a hotel but my special treat is a Kir Royale at the MacDonalds in Aberfoyle they were £8.50 each in Bath £15 needless to say I only had the one!
Bath itself is great for a couple of days if you like architecture, shopping and history, I wish now we had only done BB and eaten in the centre as there are all types of cuisine on offer.
Both my husband and I were disappointed with the hotel and food after such a very pleasant stay in their sister hotel in Aberfoyle.

buckinghamshire
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I went for two nights with my daughter and we had a wonderful time ,loved the hotel and the staff could not do enough for you and were all so pleasant, and to me appeared to enjoy there jobs and it came across in there wonderful attitude.Bath is the most fantastic place if like me you love History ,would love to go back again and of course stay at the Hotel.

• Stayed July 2010
Mildenhall, UK
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I stayed here for a long weekend in Bath with my husband. The location was great, as it was only about a 10 min walk from town centre (uphill the way back however!). The hotel grounds are stunning. We didn't get any spa treatments, but did use the steam rooms, ice rooms, and pool. All are very relaxing. The rooms are very comfortable, and the bathrooms are huge! My only complaint is that the mattress was not comfortable at all for being a 5-star hotel. The nightly rate was much higher than what I would normally pay, but we were looking to splurge a little. The service was great. The breakfast was pricey, but we should've looked for a rate with this included. I would definately stay here again. Bottom line, you get what you pay for!

Reviewed 20 July 2010

Visited for a one night stay on a Friday night with my husband.
Had a basic room, but it was far from basic (huge beds, Molton and Brown in the en-suite, gowns and slippers)
The hotel pool and gym are a little small, however this is more than made up for by the fantastic thermal suite. This includes a warm outdoor pool, various steam and sauna cabins and an ice suite. We spent two hours in there, and the time flew by. We left so relaxed and needed a good stroll before dinner, which is good, as it is worth noting the hotel is about 15 minutes from the town, and it's a fairly steep climb back up.
We ate in the Alfresco restaurant, which is kind of a Brasserie. The decor is a little stuffy in the restaurant (note that despite the name, most of it inside) The food was good, and fairly reasonable (£5-£7 starter, £10-£18 main) however the best thing about dinner was the subtle yet attentive service from the well trained hotel staff.
I would stay at this hotel again, and would recommend this place to others

Appleton, WI
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Stayed at the MacDonald hotel and spa for 2 nights in June 2010 while on vacation. Our room was lovely but a bit dated. As my wife said, it has old world charm.

The bathroom set up was the nicest we had on our 2 week vacation in England! My wife and son loved and fought over who would get to the bathtub!

Only real downside to the room is no air conditioning, it has what's called an air cooler, which I guess is what most of England hotels use. Room was very warm when we got in it. I called down to the front desk and got a fan brought to the room and opened the window. This made the room bearable. If your coming from the United States, you'll have to expect this at most hotels.

My wife loves going to spas. She rated this one as one of the best she's been to! The masseuse that she used was wonderful and gave her a lot of great information about the area. The spa also has a good sized indoor pool and jacuzzi, about half a dozen different rooms making up the "thermal suite"- things like steam, sauna, ice room, salt rock room, aroma showers etc. She love it all!

The hotel itself was also very nice- pleasant decor, especially the entrance lobby and the dining rooms, and the service was mostly fantastic. The dinner we had one night there was very good, but the full English breakfast was even better!

The grounds of the hotel itself are wonderful with a great pond, fountain and some roman ruins right on the ground. Across the street as you walk toward the downtown area is a wonderful park and river walk. The walk down town takes about 12 minutes or so, coming back is a little longer because it's up hill or you can take a cab back. Over all this is a wonderful hotel and a great town to visit!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family