“A real throwback”
Review of Pratt's Hotel

Pratt's Hotel
Ranked #29 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed for two nights over Easter 2014. The hotel is very conveniently located on South Parade in Bath and is just a short walk from both the railway station and the town's commercial centre. Reception staff were very helpful and were happy to provide us with a map and suggestions for our stay in Bath. We stayed in room 217 at the back of the hotel and although there wasn't much in the way of a view, for a city centre location it was very quiet and we were not disturbed once by noise from outside.

Pratt's hotel is a beautiful Grade 1 listed building and dates from about 1743... which might well have been the last time it was refurbished! At the risk of echoing other reviewers, the stairs, the corridors, the floors in the rooms all creak. Our room was dark and dingy with a decades old dark green patterned wallpaper, peeling in places and the space only lit by some dim antique floral wall lamps. The walls and ceiling sported quite an impressive collection of cracks. The bed had a table at one side only, leaving me to put my things on the rather uneven floor. There was no clock. Whilst it was clean, characterful and reasonably comfortable with such mod cons as a flat screen TV and WiFi to remind us that we were in fact in 2014 and not 1954, it wasn't a room either of us felt we could spend a lot of time in. Most of my wrath is reserved for the temperature, which even on a cool night was uncomfortably hot and made any prospect of a decent nights sleep completely impossible.

Breakfast was adequate but not all the food tasted fresh and we felt might have benefited from a little more selection. I can't comment in value for money terms because my stay was a generous gift, and there are far worse places you could stay. You could look at it as a nostalgic throwback to an age you thought had long gone, but I'm afraid it just felt a bit tired.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jonathan S

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked a room in this hotel for a one day trip with my wife to bath. The plan was to spend just one night at the hotel and spend rest of two days moving around the city of Bath. However, even a single night's stay was difficult because of following -
1. The room was very shabby and old and had a tired look.
2. The floor was covered with carpet but was not even.
3. The heater in the room did not work at night. We had to call the reception to get a Electric heater in the room. It seemed like hotel management was aware that heater in the room does not work but they provided heater only after being asked.
4. The bathroom was spacious but apart from this nothing else was good. Commode seat was broken and mixing hot and cold water in the shower was impossible since cold water pressure was almost zero.
Although hotel staff was very nice, since the room was terrible I will not stay in this hotel in my future trips.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amit J
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We did stay in this hotel for 5 min! Until we found a different one! I never been so disappointed! Wish to check a trip advisor before we booked it! Room was so dirty and stinky, I can't say much about a service because as I wrote we haven't stayed there for a long time. However they not very friendly, well to be honest I'm not blaming them, if I would have to work in a place like it, I wouldn't be very happy either.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Malinowe
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is a lovely old building that could be a really characterful hotel. Instead it is dirty, run down, unkempt, uncared for and obviously unloved by its owners, Forestdale hotels. We stayed in room 315, which had a particularly unpleasant stain on the wall that I had to ask to have removed. That one stain was taken off, but the two adjacent to it were left, which just about sums this place up. The fittings are poor, the fixtures are poor, the cleanliness is poor, and sadly, the staff training is poor. If only the management would spend some money on a deep cleanse ( check the shower cubicle in 315, stained, mouldy and rusty ), get a professional company in to decorate, and train the staff so that customer indifference is upgraded to customer service, then this place could be really lovely. Until that is done, they won't see me again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We paid £116 to stay one night in this very poor hotel.
Very rundown, wallpaper and paint peeling from walls, tear in the bedroom carpet constituted a health and safety hazzard, and the bedside chair was so stained we preferred not to use it. The biggest dimension in our double room was from floor to ceiling!
Furniture was in such a state that you couldn't give it away.
A few days earlier we had stayed at a Cambridge Travel Lodge hotel in a much bigger room with better facilities for less than a third of the price.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Keith R
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Perfectly located, although very run down, the towels looked like bath mats, as no bath mat was available they need replacing some of the furniture is discusting , the staff were great though all in all a pleasant stay. Restraints also close by

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This hotel could not be in a better location. If you walk to the end of the street you can see the train station, Bath Wells, Sally Lunn's and the Thermae Spa are all about a 2 minute walk. The staff were really friendly and welcoming and could not be more helpful. Bath is a beautiful city to visit and this hotel just made everything so easy. I understand it is being refurbished in September to make it a 4 star hotel so you may want to book sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends