“lovely hotel”

Bloomfield House
Ranked #42 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 July 2009

my wife and i stayed at this hotel for our 1st wedding anniversary, and i must say i was not dissapointed, the hotel is beautiful, with all its fantastic georgian features, and the way it has been decorated, this is like no other place you will stay at., it felt more like a home from home than a hotel, especially with the friendlieness of karen and robert, who made my wife and i very welcome.
the bed was very comfortable and the room quite large, although the bathroom was across the corridor, but i couldnt fault the bedroom at all there were fantastic views from the window.
breakfast, served until 11, was also lovely a very good selection of fresh fruits, ceral, and cooked breakfast.
overall i would defintely say this is one of the nicest hotels i have stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 June 2009

very difficult to falter this hotel! the friendliness of the staff made this an excellent choice, the 4 poster bedroom we stayed in was stunning as was the rest of the hotel with its uniqueness. i would happily recommend staying here and will definatley come back on my return to Bath!!

p.s. cooked breakfast was very good

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I would return to this hotel again. It is beautifully decorated with its own unique charming style. I was attracted to the hotel for its eco-credentials but it wasn't as eco-friendly as I expected but is probably better than most (but why no energy saving light bulbs?) Really comfy bed & a nice breakfast. It is a family home but you are made very welcome. We were fortunate to be there at the right time to enjoy their family cat's new batch of kittens.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I normally go on trip advisor to complain, but I feel I had to leave a positive review about Bloomfield as when I searched before I saw the small amount of negative comments and I feel I have to put them right. Yes there is paint knocked off the paintwork and it could do with a lick of paint, but the antique furniture and hand painted hall wall, makes things like this disappear.

After the typical British whether of rain finally stopped, we had the chance to sit out in the garden! We did not have chance to sit out on the lawn as it we didnt want to ruin our shoes after the rain, but the patio was nice and big with wooden seats.

It is the small detail that the owners have put in place that make it a little gem, everything from the luxurious soap set from London in our room to the list of resturantes that are personally recommended by the owners. All I can stay is the atmosphere in the house and especially at breakfast is Brilliant and that we will definatley be back!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NakitaG
Reviewed 6 May 2009

It’s hard to describe Bloomfield House to someone who hasn’t stayed there. Staying there is a bizarre but thoroughly enjoyable experience and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends.

The small number of poor reviews on this site are surprising. Sure, the rooms are pricey compared to some towns in the UK - but Bath isn't a cheap place to stay and we thought this hotel was good value for money compared to other local hotels and B&B’s. Also, the eco credentials are totally bona fide - from the solar panels on the roof, to the owners' vegetable oil car. There is even a 'buy one, get one carbon free' deal for return visitors, where you pay what you like for the second night and the whole amount is donated to the local carbon trust. You don’t get much greener than that!

The whole setup is incredibly friendly - everything from being shown the family’s lovely 2-week old kittens on checking in, to the unusual breakfast experience (it's the only place I've every stayed where all the guests have enjoyed getting to know each other over breakfast). We were surprised to find a bottle of port in the room in case we fancied a (complimentary) night cap, and really felt that nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast is heartily recommended.

If you're hoping for an anonymous business hotel then you're going to be disappointed with Bloomfield House. The building is beautifully quirky, the owners are very pleasantly eccentric and the whole place is dripping in character. We really enjoyed our stay and I’ve found myself telling people as much about the hotel as I have the city of Bath – as far as I’m concerned that’s a big thumbs up.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew1234
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Up on entering Bloomfield House Hotel it looks a normal family run hotel, but as soon as you enter the hall way it is decorated in hand painted peacocks, as soon as you move from the hall wya up the stairs you are taken into another uniquiely deocrated part of the house. With stone wall paper and cloudy painted ceilings. The huge mirrors at the top of the guest floor made the whole building light and airy.

We were delighted to also be up graded from a standard double to a 4 poster double room! This was a pleasent surprise. We will be back shortly!

P.S. May I add how helpful the staff were and took their time to explain attractions, transport and places to eat!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Karen, Robert and family made us feel so welcome in their beautiful home. Their attention to detail was second to none from the wonderful antiques throughout the house to the shower gel to the wonderful breakfasts made to order. They provided us with a list of restaurants within easy reach which was invaluable. Their hotel is an easy walk downhill to the centre of Bath and a short taxi ride back.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends