“Good value vegetarian cafe in a quirky shop”
Review of Metropolitan Cafe

Metropolitan Cafe
Ranked #253 of 577 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Bath
“Good value vegetarian cafe in a quirky shop”
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

Nice place for a coffee and cake especially with a vegetarian friend as difficult to find a good veggie cafe in bath ! A soup and sandwich with a glass of wine went down very well !!!

1 Thank Gary T
MetrocafeBath, Manager at Metropolitan Cafe, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thanks for the great review, hopefully see you again soon!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Hidden Retreat for a Quick Cuppa”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I found this while looking for an independent coffee house (trying to avoid the corporates like Costa and Starbucks!) in Bath. Hidden up a winding staircase above a bits-and-bobs shop, they had a good selection of hot and cold drinks available, as well as some tasty looking snacks. I had the standard Earl Grey pot of tea for one. It was very enjoyable, with nice views down Union Street.
Good for price, nice atmosphere, very friendly staff, and possibly the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in my life - it was like a Harry Potter style room under the stairs!
No disabled access due to its first floor location and age of the building, I presume they wouldn't get permission to do any modifications.

• Visited March 2013
London
“Rather chaotic”
Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

This cafe looks pleasant enough above a gift shop. Given it's pretty small with only about 8 tables it seemed very slow to serve the customers. At least 3-4 tables when we were there were obviously waiting a while for food - getting up and going to the counter and asking or looking at the waitress to ask her when it was coming. Plus they did that rather clueless thing of standing in the middle of the room, announcing what the food is and hoping a table would pipe up...soup was v pleasant - sandwiches were pretty meanly filled and bland for the price. Could do better.

1 Thank InnerLondon
Bath
“Refused to sell Spanish Omelette”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I went to the Metropolitan Cafe last week and ordered Spanish Omelette for myself and my partner but was told it had all been sold, I pointed to the substantial piece of Spanish omelette on the counter and was told "that's for someone else", confused I asked "If you've sold it why is it still here?" to which I received a non committal response. I believe they were holding it back to eat themselves, either way I was obliged to order something else from the menu and the omelette was still there when we left.

Not very customer focused, they managed to burn some cheese which made the cafe (which is very small) smell ghastly.

My sandwich was ok but I did feel cheated, I won't be rushing back.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Boo R
Dorset
“Great vegetarian cafe in the heart of Bath......”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

First visit to this cafe on Sunday 13th January and is well worth the 5 stars. Tasty vegetarian menu - I had a really good soup and goats cheese ciabatta for 6.75 and a local Bath ale. I went with my 3 children and the cafe also has a really good, simple and cheap menu for kids which was just perfect. Note that this kids menu was not apparent on the street before we went in but is inside. The cafe is above an interesting gift shop but despite being on the first floor the staff helped with our pram and were all really pleasant. We ordered the wrong thing for our 6 year old son and they replaced it for free even though we were just going to buy another dish for him - this level of customer service is the best it can be. There are some good window seats for people watching and a relaxed atmosphere unlike many cafes. High ceilings and big windows give a light and airy feel and this combined with tasty food and smiling helpful staff make a great cafe. Will be returning when in Bath next. If the owner reads this the young man who seemed to be in charge that day is superb - a credit to the cafe.