“Really nice, but it should be at the price!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Windsor

The Windsor
Ranked #42 of 160 Bath B&B and Inns
Bingley, United Kingdom
“Really nice, but it should be at the price!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Before reading, I do warn I am a rather tight Yorkshireman, but I am also easily pleased so I feel my reviews are fair.

Pros:

We paid £165 for a room which was rather small, but had everything you needed and the bathroom was lovely, even if the bath would struggle to fit an umpa lumpa in!! (the shower is great though). It's a great central location, a couple minutes away from anything you need. It feels quite posh inside and the staff are the best bit of the Windsor, they're really lovely. The bed was amazingly compfy to.

Cons:

The stairs were very high, I'm fine with this, but I'd warn anyone who isn't fit to make sure you get a low level room.

Breakfast is poor. It's just cereal, bread & jam, and yoghurt, teas and fruits, and it's not in a buffet style (which I quite liked actually) but when all you have is such a poor choice, I kind of wanted a buffet actually as If im only allowed toast I'd like to be able to glam it up a bit with more portions of butter and jam. if you want cooked breakfast you have to pay another £7.

We only stayed one night so it was fine for us but I wouldn't want toast every morning for very long!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your review, I was glad to hear your positive comments.
The bathroom in your room has been recently refurbished, with the addition of the new fixtures such as the shower you liked so much. The bath is small, but quite unique. (We were constrained by the restrictions of the building, so decided to fit super shower fittings to compensate)
I am pleased you found the bed comfortable and the location and staff so well received.
As far as the breakfast is concerned, we made the decision to offer full table service to enhance the guest experience over the breakfast period and have one to one contact with all customers during this time. Personally, I find buffets imperfect and impersonal. There is no limit to quantities of the continental breakfast, more of anything would have been brought happily to you had you asked. do come back and see us sometime.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We were slightly disappointed by the Windsor given its 5 star rating. The room rates are expensive although we booked at a very competitive rate online. We stayed in the four poster room which was spacious and nicely decorated, in fitting with the surroundings. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Good location too in a very nice part of town. The B&B also offers nibbles and beer/wine for sale which we would have sampled had we been staying longer. Negatives were the prices and that the high room rate does not include a cooked option which is standard for any other B&B we have stayed in. We knew this beforehand but thought the description of the continental breakfast with fresh bread and croissants would be sufficient, but what we were given was just ok, not great (e.g. one small croissant each) and made us wish there was an included cooked option but we grudged paying any extra for this. Would happily return, but there would need to be an included cooked breakfast option. 3.5/5 due to the price and breakfast.

tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you were happy with your 4 poster room, the friendly and helpful staff and our great location. You booked at a very good price, through a third party although it is always the same or much cheaper to book directly with us.
The only point you were unhappy with was that a cooked breakfast was not included in the rate you paid. Although you found this unusual, it is quite normal for establishments to charge for one or other, or both! I spent £28 for just a continental breakfast in London last week! Which makes our small supplementary charge from £4 great value.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I decided to book a room at The Windsor as I didn't fancy the drive back to Sussex after running the Bath Half Marathon. Having been so impressed with The Windsor when I had stayed there before Christmas, I was sure I wouldn't be disappointed. When I phoned the hotel to make my reservation, I was overwhelmed with the level of service offered. I was advised where to park which was invaluable as a lot of the roads in Bath were closed for the race. Although check-in was not until after the start of my race, I was invited to drop my bags off before hand and also offered a coffee and breakfast. When I arrived, all of the staff had been informed of my early arrival and changing facilities had also been organised for me. Along with all the encouragement from the staff, this was definitely above and beyond the call of duty.
My room was very comfortable and quiet and the locally sourced breakfast was amazing.
I can not speak highly enough of The Windsor and would not hesitate in recommending a stay there.
Thank you so very much.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Craftymartin
tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Wow, thank you for your fabulous review, it gave us all a big lift to know how much we were appreciated, hurry back.
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was our first stay in Bath and I chose The Windsor as the reviews were good. It did not disappoint! We stayed for two nights at the end of February 2014 and were given a warm welcome by the Receptionist who offered us tea and coffee as our room wasn't quite ready (we were a little early). We stayed in the Sydney room which was downstairs and at the front of the guest house. The bed was super king size and very comfy. The windows looked out onto the pavement which was at eye level and we found that we needed to close the curtains is we wanted privacy. However, we were out and about for most of the daylight hours so this was not an issue. The heating and air conditioning were easy to operate. The location was within a short walking distance of the city centre. We left the car parked near the Windsor on Great Pultney Street for the whole two days. We paid £12 a day for a parking permit which the hotel provided, which was great as we did not have to think about carparking fees and having to replace a ticket, etc. When we stayed at The Windsor, they were redecorating the dining area, and we were offered breakfast to be served in our room. We took up their offer and the order was spot on. My husband is lactose intolerant and they catered for him perfectly. Overall, I would recommend The Windsor and would definitely stay there again.

tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your kind review, it is so nice to hear that you were happy with all aspects of your stay. Do come back should you return to Bath.
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at the Winsor in Bath. Staff were very friendly and attentive and the location was brilliant. One of the few hotels in Bath that will let you stay one night only.

Be careful on match days - it's right next door to the Rec and parking can be interesting. The staff were very helpful however and found us a parking space.

We would recommend to friends and will return if we ever have need to stay in Bath again we will be booking in!

tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your lovely review, do come back and see us with your friends next time you need a night away.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here for one night in late February. We booked a superior room as we have a small child and when we arrived our room was ready ahead of official check in time and was complete with the requested cot. The staff are extremely friendly with good local knowledge and helped us find a place for lunch alongside issuing us maps and guidance on local attractions. The centre of town in literally a 5 minute walk.

The room we had was large and to the rear of the hotel so very peaceful. It was well appointed and very clean. All rooms are named not numbered which adds to the feeling of homeliness that we felt throughout our stay.

When we went for breakfast a high chair was already set out which I felt made the stay more personal. Breakfast was good, we had the included continental but the cooked breakfasts look very good too.

Overall a good stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kiltedmuppet
tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review, it was a pleasure having you to stay with us.
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have stayed at The Windsor hotel now 3 times over the last 6 months with both friends and as a couple . The hotel is ideally located, it is a charming hotel with first rate Service. The staff are wonderful and the rooms are very comfortable and full of character. I would not stay anywhere else in Bath!.

tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for your review, it is so nice to see guests return time and again, we hope to see you soon if you return to Bath.