“Faulty Towers”

Ranked #144 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Rushden, United Kingdom
“Faulty Towers”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This hotel looks appealing on the website, however, the rooms are shabby, bed was uncomfortable, our room was small and dirty, the shower ran cold water and the plug in the sink was broken! the hotel charges an extra £6.00 each to use the hot tub!
There is not a proper bar which sells draught lager, it is served in cans at £3.50 each! We only saw 1 man working there the whole time we were there! The breakfast was ok, the hotel is in desperate need of a refurb! The location is not too bad, a 15 minute walk from the centre. we will not be staying here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 101Shaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Dorking, Surrey
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I booked a "superior four poster bedroom" via LateRooms.Com for one night. We booked it last minute and didn't check the reviews on TripAdvisor (fatal mistake) but the photographs and reviews on LateRooms sounded reasonable.

When we arrived the first thing we saw was the concrete gatepost which was hanging off and this was the sign of things to come.

We paid for our room up front and then were shown in our "superior" room which was at the back of the property. The bed itself to be fair was comfy and the linen and pillows were clean but the dust was thick under the bed which looked like it hadn't been moved for a long time.

The bathroom was the worst we have ever seen, the toilet seat was broken and hanging off, the shower was a joke, the bath panel was a bit of mdf nailed on and the sealant around the bath was cracked and disintegrating. The shower was a pitiful stream which was not enough to rinse my hair properly though the water was hot.

There were only 2 young girls on duty, no sign of a manager and as we were only staying for one night we really could not be bothered, however we did feel aggrieved at having paid £120 for what was clearly mis-sold as a "superior" room.

The breakfast was adequate and served by one of the young girls who seemed to be managing on her own taking the orders, serving etc. The staff were very lovely and deserve a payrise but the Manager/Owner really needs to be brought to task and the house needs some serious maintenance. The dining room was very imposing but was spoiled by broken furniture and a large lump of wallpaper hanging off and damp, bubbling to the ceiling.

We did venture outside into the garden but did not fancy trying the pool or hot-tub (there were a list of rules about this to adhere to) bearing in mind the poor maintenance of the place in general.

Such a shame it could be a seriously good hotel with a lot of TLC. We realise we only booked 2 star accommodation but this should not mean that the rooms are poorly maintained and dirty. Won't be going back again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jen40

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very small & the 'bathroom' is a closet but that is expected in English b&b. What is not expected is ice cold showers 2 mornings out of 3 with the last at 7am so the hot should still have been okay. At the same time the sink ran hot water fine, so it was the shower with a problem. Breakfast was average, the bed & pillows lumpy, & the doona in 'summer' with no a/c says it all. I can't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Martin K
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

I decided to take my wife to bath for her birthday and I was dictated to on where we stayed due to the price of some of the hotels in the area I decided to give wentworth house a try against my better judgment.

We arrived early and were told it wasn't a problem that our room was ready for us to check in so we did upon entering the room we were impressed by the four poster bed that was in the room I must point out that this was at an extra charge and we got settled in.

I would like to point out that we are not overly fussy people but when looking at the floor of the room it didn't look like it had been hoovered in quite some time there were bits all over it in the bathroom there were also some hairs around the edges of the room that werent ours.

We didn't complain as we just wanted to start exploring bath which I must say is a very beautiful city and would recommend to anyone to visit just stay somewhere else.

Just before leaving my wife noticed that there was a splash up the wall of either tea or coffee again of which neither of us had done and hadn't been cleaned.

I went to reception to ask the man there if he could book is a taxi for going out that evening just to be handed a business card and to be told we usually use them they're pretty quick it might just be me but that's not very good customer service most hotels would have phoned one for you even the restaurant we went to that evening were more than happy to call one for us.

I must make a special mention to the girl that was serving breakfast she was as helpful as she possibly could have been seeing that she was serving 20 -30 people on her own.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Justin T
Oxshott
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed here for one night. The hotel itself is badly in need of a full makeover, you can tell by the state of repair of the front door, the wallpaper peeling off the walls in places and the dated carpet and decorations - its 1970's style and hasn't been updated since. The rooms are clean and tidy but with very limited space in the shower area. The staff are very friendly and service is good. However, this hotel needs a lot of money spending on it the decor is way below standard and at £70 per room per night it is competing with very modern Premier Inns and such which will win hands down. B&B is a bit hit and miss at times, this one is a definite miss I'm afraid.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Conor20
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We booked this through Booking.com and thought we would give the place a chance after reading the negative reviews. How anyone can be happy staying here is beyond me. On arrival we were greeted by a member of staff (the only one we saw all weekend) and told that we had to pay up front or we could not be booked in. I had already paid a £210 deposit for two rooms but obviously this was not enough. When I questioned this I was told "Im only the manager,the owner makes these choices". The manager was aggressive and unfriendly and at this point I had to walk out to avoid an argument. We made a mistake and paid up. When we got to our room we could see why they wanted money first. It was small, dirty and had not seen a lick of paint for many years. We could not open the wardrobe doors as the bed was in the way. The table in the room had had two legs cut down to fit over the large skirting and was on a slope. Mould in the bathroom, faulty shower, unable to sit on the loo properly as the sink was to close. Carpets dirty and appeared not to have been hoovered. I dropped some money that went under the bed and when I looked under it the floor was covered in dust, not cleaned for a long time.
When we returned in the evening the residents lounge had been locked so nowhere to sit and talk. No way you could get four in a bedroom.
Our friends room was of similiar poor quality but smaller.
We should have left and complained but that would have ruined the weekend so we put up with it.
There are many other places to stay in Bath costing less. This was probably the worst hotel I have stayed in. It needs a total refurbishment and someone to run it who has a clue about the hotel business. I have not even mentioned the dining room, breakfast or the pool. Read the other negative reviews they are all true and nothing has changed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank stedders17
wentworth106, Manager at Wentworth House, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
I think we need to get some facts straight here. You booked two rooms and when the other couple arrived they said you would be paying. Then you arrived and said they would be paying. I wasn`t prepared to get involved in a game of pass the parcel with the bill so I politely said “ I am sorry but I am unable to check you in until we have received payment”
At this point YOU got aggressive with me which is why I pinpointed out that as the manager I didn`t set the policy I merely adhere to it.
As for the rooms, you booked standard doubles which are the cheapest and therefore smallest of the rooms that we offer. They are cleaned daily so I don`t accept your comment about them being dirty.
I spoke to you and your friends on several occasions and not one of you mentioned any dissatisfaction with either the size or the cleanliness of the rooms. Had you done so, we may have been able to move you to a larger room on the Saturday.
It is quite clear in the hotel description that we do not have a night porter and the hotel closes at 10.30pm so I don`t know why you were surprised that the lounge was locked when you returned to the hotel later than 10.30pm. You also failed to add that you took chairs and glasses from the restaurant and sat in reception drinking your own wine. So the fact that the lounge was closed doesn`t seem to have inconvenienced you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Lovely room with 4 poster, conservatory off bedroom with comfy settee overlooking garden. Good breakfast and nice staff. Stunning walks nearby and 15 mins into town (longer coming back!) Will stay again. Great to have parking as many hotels do not. Do make sure you do the skyline walk around Bath.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple