“Needs refurb”

Wentworth House
Ranked #150 of 158 Bath B&B and Inns
“Needs refurb”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My daughter booked this hotel as we were down for the special Olympics . I read trip advisor comments and was a bit wary. The room looked clean enough. we stayed for 5 nights and got fresh towels daily. Breakfast was quite good with good choice. Overall the hotel was average .

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Okay so I normally stay in very different style of accommodation which does influence my review. We really only slept here as we were very busy doing the tourist thing in Bath.

We stayed in twin share with bathroom. The room was adequate although I thought it could have been cleaner.

The breakfast which was include was good and is approx 15 mins working distance of the main area of Bath (walking back is up hill but there is a bus).

We were able to leave our car at the venue on out check our day for as long as we likes which was very helpful.

For this style of accommodation I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Given the prices of hotels in and around the City of Bath, we did book on price and I have to say the location was perfect - just 15mins walk down the hill to the City Centre.
We generally stay in the cheaper end of the market so we don't expect much - at the end of the day you just want some clean to sleep and a good breakfast, but having stayed in some very nice hotels for this sort of price, we were quite disappointed.
The room was small and basic - not a problem but the toilet door was at the foot of the bed and the toilet immediately in front. The toilet bowl was cracked all the way down and been crudely smeared with sealant (as a temporary measure I hope).
The shower fitting didn't fit so it kept falling off and there was a 'helpful' notice, warning that the shower control was back to front, ie hot where it said cold and vice versa. It was a bit of a shock to find the controls were in fact correct.
The bed could really do with a mattress topper (room 22)as we could feel every spring although I can't deny we slept well after our busy days walking around the city.
All in all - not a bad stay and a decent breakfast with plenty to choose from, but the whole building needs tidying up and the staff seem very stressed.
Just one more gripe - no marmite ...ok ok I know half the population don't care... but I do

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nichola B
skinwil
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I was a bit wary staying at this hotel after reading all the reviews. But, for the money paid it's a pretty decent place to stay with friendly staff to help out. The location is a bit dodgy if you can't walk the steep hill into town, otherwise it's a pretty fun 15 hike. I'd be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank skinwil
uk
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed for 4 nights. Was able to check in at lunchtime when I arrived early and needed to be out all afternoon and evening. All in all a decent budget hotel - tired decor but a reasonable night's sleep.

Staff were helpful and friendly dealing with the issues that arose (eg key broke in lock late on 1st evening). Breakfast was fine with plenty choice.

Price does seem high for the standard of accommodation - driven by location rather than quality I guess but also I was Bath at a busy time which had driven prices up.

I didn't report any of the following (though they are weaknesses in my view and easily fixed) so the staff had no chance to resolve any of them. Main point are listed, others are just picky but combined mean I'd probably choose another place to stay next time I'm in Bath.

- No wifi in room which was a huge issue as I needed to work. It was fine in public areas but that was not convenient since I needed to speak on the phone as well. I had to cut short my trip to return home to finish the work I could not complete while staying there.
- Sink leaked - a plastic container was provided (half filled already when I checked in) but I forgot to empty it on Saturday morning (#notmyjob) and it was not emptied by the staff who serviced the room so the floor was flooded on my return.
- Bin was not emptied in 4 days (including the one in the bathroom)
- Floor did not appear to be hoovered in 4 days
- Curtain hooks are missing so curtains could not be drawn fully
- Sat in bar twice (to use wifi) and would have ordered a drink but no-one appeared to serve me

All in all nothing too serious. It's a 2-3 star hotel with great staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

A trip to Bath to celebrate my birthday was rather spoiled by the 2 nights spent in this hotel . We booked a room with a four poster , which the room did have but it was a gloomy downstairs room . The view was of the pool which looked nothing like the photo on the website ! The pool was covered by a grubby cover , there were no steps and it looked tired as did most of the hotel . A beautiful building and location but in need of massive refurb . The first night was eventful as I bitten several times by ants in the bed , leaving blood on the sheets , a request in the morning to have a different room was not possible apparently . The room was 'deep cleaned ' after this we found someone's toe nail clippings on the carpet !! All of this shows why they ask for the money up front on arrival as they refused to refund any money for the less than perfect conditions , the breakfast was served in a dining room also grubby and tired with ants crawling over the servery area .

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Juliesdollshouses

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

I decided to take my wife to bath for her birthday and I was dictated to on where we stayed due to the price of some of the hotels in the area I decided to give wentworth house a try against my better judgment.

We arrived early and were told it wasn't a problem that our room was ready for us to check in so we did upon entering the room we were impressed by the four poster bed that was in the room I must point out that this was at an extra charge and we got settled in.

I would like to point out that we are not overly fussy people but when looking at the floor of the room it didn't look like it had been hoovered in quite some time there were bits all over it in the bathroom there were also some hairs around the edges of the room that werent ours.

We didn't complain as we just wanted to start exploring bath which I must say is a very beautiful city and would recommend to anyone to visit just stay somewhere else.

Just before leaving my wife noticed that there was a splash up the wall of either tea or coffee again of which neither of us had done and hadn't been cleaned.

I went to reception to ask the man there if he could book is a taxi for going out that evening just to be handed a business card and to be told we usually use them they're pretty quick it might just be me but that's not very good customer service most hotels would have phoned one for you even the restaurant we went to that evening were more than happy to call one for us.

I must make a special mention to the girl that was serving breakfast she was as helpful as she possibly could have been seeing that she was serving 20 -30 people on her own.

• Stayed June 2013