“Terrible”

Ranked #147 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
London
“Terrible”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Dirty room, smelled musky due to the fact glass in window was broken and nailed down, so couldnt open .tap in bathroom snapped off,scared to use shower In case caught something infectious ,staff most unhelpful ,room dark and very cramped ,bed was uncomfortable,do yourself a favour a give this place a miss,the AA need to review this place and take their two stars away.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Sandra R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here for my birthday in room 10 and enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in a good location and its clean and comfortable. Our room was lovely and warm and we had a nice freshly cooked breakfast. For the money staying in bath it was fine for us. The owner was friendly and gave us directions to walk down hill to the town centre and we simply got a taxi back on the evening for 6 pound. Some 5 star hotels don't provide tea or coffee making facilities so we found this a really nice touch.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jcherry_12
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I paid for a four poster double room as the pictures looked fabulous and just what we wanted for a nice weekend away. However, when we arrived and were taken to our room it was a different story! The rooms are nothing like the pictures -false advertising- it felt more like id just stepped into a boudoir!! It was horrendous, not at all romantic, but instead cheap and tacky! The room was also very cold but we'd also noticed that non of the radiators or heaters were connected. The final straw was when my partner just happened to notice that all of the PAT testing on ALL electrical appliance were out of date!!! We went down to reception and asked if we could change rooms as we were not happy, nor comfortable in the room we'd been given. Our only option for a slightly more comfortable stay was to downgrade. The manager did offer another heater, but after all of the appliances hadn't been tested in over 15 months, i didn't really fancy another electrical appliance in our room. So we chose to downgrade to a normal double room, however, the hotel were not prepared to refund us the difference back, despite the fact that I was a customer and I was not comfortable in the first room. So instead, I had to pay over £60 more than what I should have. Their shoddy attitude was they've had our money, they really didn't care. Sadly, the bad experience didn't end there. Again, all of the electrical appliances in the new room hadn't been PAT tested in over 15 months, the extractor fan in the tiny bathroom was broken and had a gapping hole, completely unsafe!!! The shower door was off the hinges, the tiles in the shower had been broken but instead of being replaced, they’d just put an obscene amount if silicone down to cover it, the frame of the mirror was broke, the heater had no dial and the radiator looked broken with just some black tape around the end. THIS ROOM WAS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE BY ANY MEANS!! My partner is a property developer and could not believe what we were looking at! Basics regarding the consumer rights act. The shower may aswell have not been there as it was about as useful as a rain droplet. Many things wrong with these rooms wouldn’t have taken a great deal of tiny or money to rectify, but its just utter shoddy workmanship. The breakfast was... ok, however, the only option regarding milk was whole (full fat) well, excuse me, but not everyone drinks full fat milk, and the fact that there was even an alternative was despicable! Instead, we had to but some milk just so we could have a coffee in our room and as for breakfast, I even had to ask twice for a glass of water!!! And what's even more bizarre about this faulty towers hotel, is there was only ever one man working! He was the receptionist, the bar tender, the waiter, the front of house, he was everything! Infact, it wouldn't surprise me if he was the cook, dish washer, room cleaner, gardener aswell!! Very weird set up. When we checked out, I had to express my feelings and told him everything of what we found. He seemed to have no knowledge of the rooms as with everything I mentioned he said he didn't realise, but even more disgraceful was that he really didn't care. They'd had my money and they didn't care. We paid completely over the odds for an awful hotel. Infact, they ought to have paid us to stay there. The only good thing about this place was the location. It was a nice 10-15 min walk into the city centre. I strongly recommend anyone looking at this hotel looks elsewhere, the pictures are not the truth! Such a let down and I genuinely feel like I've been robbed. I will be taking this further... I have photographic evidence!!!!!

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bionvic84
wentworth106, Manager at Wentworth House, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. However if things really were as bad as you say I am sure you would have brought your dissatisfaction to our attention immediately. Instead you were in the room for some time before speaking to me.
If you had mentioned earlier that you were not happy with the room I could have offered you another four poster room, however by the time you spoke to me all the other rooms had checked in.
You told me you had looked at room 2 and would like to move to that room. I explained it wasn`t a four poster room and if you wanted move you could but it would be at the same rate. You accepted this.
The heaters are not all disconnected. The bedroom heaters in that part of the building are storage heaters which guests sometimes turn off meaning they don`t charge overnight. I offered you a heater to use until the storage heater had charged but you refused this.
Obviously the PAT testing should have taken place earlier, this was an oversight on our part and has now been rectified. However you never mentioned any concerns regarding the safety of the heaters until you were leaving. Had you mentioned this I could have provided you with a brand new heater.
Also you claimed that the light in the room was giving you a migraine, so it would appear that the reason you didn`t want a heater was that you wanted to move room, rather than any concerns about safety.
The milk portions we provide in the rooms are whole milk, however the milk used at breakfast is semi-skimmed and we would have been happy to provide you with a jug of milk for the room, had you requested it.
Most of the staff at the hotel carry out more than one task, which is standard in two star hotels. There are hotels in Bath which provide dedicated reception staff and bar staff etc. However these tend to be four star hotels and cost considerably more than £110.00 per night.
Once again I would like to apologise for the fact that you didn`t enjoy your stay, but you really can`t expect four standards at two star prices

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Solva
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Great Location near to where I needed to be. Restaurant not operating when I was there. Rooms not as pictured on website but clean. Bathroom minute. Mattress hard. I was staying for business purpose but had I been staying for a holiday I would have complained loudly. Breakfast mediocre. Staff helpful and v pleasant but unable to rectify room problems.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you book - on the web they showed half tester/four poster beds which mine...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Rockingham, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2014

An interesting hotel that could do with some renovations around the place. It's nicely located with easy access to the city by either bus or cab, and it's within reasonable distance for walking into the city - predominantly down hill which is handy. A short stroll from other shops and restaurants.

The room we had was of adequate size with a queen 4-poster bed, however the mattress was too small for the bed and a 10 inch gap existed between the mattress and the foot board. Both the side tables were missing one leg and the bed side lamps were being used to balance the tables level. A small bathroom was attached to the bedroom and it had a good supply of hot water.

Breakfast was served in the dining room which had a very nice sunny conservatory. A full cooked breakfast was available along with cereals, juices and toast if desired. All the staff were polite and keen to help and offer advice about the local area, Bath and other attractions.

Good off-road parking is provided. There's a bar/lounge area with TV and while wifi is advertised to be available through the hotel, best reception was in the lounge area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GuyRMB
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I loved this little quirky hotel.
It was close to town, 15 minute walk tops.
It was clean and tidy.
Staff were friendly & helpful.
Breakfast was good, lots of choice.

For the price I could not have asked for anything better.
I'd recommend it and go again.

Very happy customer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HanaMontanaHughes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

clean with a great breakfast, got two lovely nights sleep. quiet part of town in lovely surrounding hills with view of the city. Close to beautiful views from Alexandra park too
friendly and welcoming hotel manager.
Bit of a walk up hill back from city centre

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple