“Weekend Break”

Ranked #147 of 154 Bath B&B and Inns
Kent, United Kingdom
“Weekend Break”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked this hotel before we read the reviews, we were tempted to cancel but trying to get another hotel in Bath at short notice was not possible. We are so glad that we did not cancel. We stayed in room 20 which was clean and comfortable, with a four poster bed and a view over the swimming pool & garden. We enjoyed two peaceful nights sleep! The breakfast room was clean and bright.the breakfast was lovely & nothing was roo much trouble for the friendly staff. The walk into town was easy, it is all uphill on the way back but a cab from the city centre is only £6. or you can get a number 14 bus quite easily. We would certainly go back there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KingstonKent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

A group of friends and I stayed at the Wentworth Hotel over the May bank holiday and had a great stay. The staff were incredibly helpful and extremely accommodating from the time of booking onwards.

As soon as we arrived we were offered a large apartment, instead of a family room and this was perfect for our needs. We had 6 rooms and the apartment in total and no one from our party had any issues. The rooms and ensuites were very clean, warm and functional.

The breakfast was great; freshly cooked and a wide variety offered. There were tea bad coffee making facilities in each room.

Considering its 2 star rating, I think the hotel offers great value, comfort and facilities. We would stay again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank LucyReading2014
Kentisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the guest house, we stayed in room 21, the room had a beautiful, clean and comfortable four poster bed, the bathroom was clean and tidy. The cooked breakfast was really nice, the owner was polite, friendly and knowledgeable of the area. The location is just a walk away from the city centre. I'd defiantly stay there again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is definitely not up to scratch at all, I wish I had read the reviews before booking to stay here. The stay at this hotel was for a short weekend, and it was a nice distance away from Bath, but not a nice walk back up the very steep hill, and very hard to see where you are going at night time.

Firstly, checking into the hotel we were first asked to pay up front the remaining money, however, if we had been asked this after seeing the room the outcome I feel might have been different. We paid the money and was then shown to our room, which was the four poster bed room, with a conservatory type extension. We did not take much notice of the room when we first came in, as travelling for four hours we were in need of something to eat, so we asked the only member of staff that we saw the whole weekend, who kept suggesting the bear pub continuously, we decided otherwise and took a walk into the city where the restaurants are open till a decent time. When coming back from our meal, we had previously been told that the door shuts at 10:30, so we knew what to expect, however the door is very hard to open and took us around 10 minutes to get into the building. We got into our four poster bed for a well deserved sleep, well I should say shimmed around the bed, narrowly getting past the posts, there was no room in that room for anything, the four poster bed isn't anything special if not the worst night sleep I have ever had, its no selling point of the hotel thats for sure. In the morning we were abruptly woken up to the sound of constant footsteps right above our room, which was directly under the dining room, the floor boards are ridiculously creaky. We decided to open the only two windows we had in the room only to find that they had both been bolted down, and one of them had a massive crack running straight through the middle of the glass, not sure this is health and safety at its finest. So we were stuck in a room with no windows. We later on decided to open the conservatory door, only for that to get stuck and would only close partly as a two women job, the conservatory was also covered in cobwebs, it was disgusting, there was no way that hotel room had been cleaned in some time. We proceeded to go up to the dining room for some breakfast, where we were kindly greeted by the one man show, who asked if we would like some breakfast, first of all I would like to find a table to sit at first before you pounce with asking about breakfast. The little menu on the table explains the cooked breakfasts, and suggests goat of brown or white bread, only to be informed to cook it yourself the toaster is over there, I felt I had severely aged by the time the toast eventually popped up. From coming back in the evening of the next day, being already informed of the door being coded at a certain time, we arrived back to find that the door had already been locked 45 minutes earlier then expected, don't give out rules if your not going to follow them.We decided to have some tea in the room, only to find out of date whole milk,I would have asked for different milk but the one man band was gone for the night, so no tea for us. We told the receptionist man of some of the issue, and he came to our room to see, for his response to be 'oh I had not seen these before.. or... I'm just the manager the owner sorts these things out', from reading the reviews it seems its the only statement that he is able to regurgitate to people who aren't satisfied.
The overall room was old, out of fate, extremely dusty and generally unloved. The walls had massive cracks running down them and cracks in the walls, there was cobwebs all over the place. The bathroom had minimal moving room with a broken hot tap for the sink, which came off in our hands, but when told the manager suggested nothing else just looked at them, no other room was offered, even after he had been informed of the issues. Overall I would advise not staying in this hotel, Im sure there are, no certain, that there are hotels in bath that are significantly better and potentially cheaper, then this back to Fawlty Towers show home. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't choose any of the room, leave the hotel as son as you can.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sidony R

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

London
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Dirty room, smelled musky due to the fact glass in window was broken and nailed down, so couldnt open .tap in bathroom snapped off,scared to use shower In case caught something infectious ,staff most unhelpful ,room dark and very cramped ,bed was uncomfortable,do yourself a favour a give this place a miss,the AA need to review this place and take their two stars away.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Sandra R
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here for my birthday in room 10 and enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in a good location and its clean and comfortable. Our room was lovely and warm and we had a nice freshly cooked breakfast. For the money staying in bath it was fine for us. The owner was friendly and gave us directions to walk down hill to the town centre and we simply got a taxi back on the evening for 6 pound. Some 5 star hotels don't provide tea or coffee making facilities so we found this a really nice touch.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jcherry_12
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I paid for a four poster double room as the pictures looked fabulous and just what we wanted for a nice weekend away. However, when we arrived and were taken to our room it was a different story! The rooms are nothing like the pictures -false advertising- it felt more like id just stepped into a boudoir!! It was horrendous, not at all romantic, but instead cheap and tacky! The room was also very cold but we'd also noticed that non of the radiators or heaters were connected. The final straw was when my partner just happened to notice that all of the PAT testing on ALL electrical appliance were out of date!!! We went down to reception and asked if we could change rooms as we were not happy, nor comfortable in the room we'd been given. Our only option for a slightly more comfortable stay was to downgrade. The manager did offer another heater, but after all of the appliances hadn't been tested in over 15 months, i didn't really fancy another electrical appliance in our room. So we chose to downgrade to a normal double room, however, the hotel were not prepared to refund us the difference back, despite the fact that I was a customer and I was not comfortable in the first room. So instead, I had to pay over £60 more than what I should have. Their shoddy attitude was they've had our money, they really didn't care. Sadly, the bad experience didn't end there. Again, all of the electrical appliances in the new room hadn't been PAT tested in over 15 months, the extractor fan in the tiny bathroom was broken and had a gapping hole, completely unsafe!!! The shower door was off the hinges, the tiles in the shower had been broken but instead of being replaced, they’d just put an obscene amount if silicone down to cover it, the frame of the mirror was broke, the heater had no dial and the radiator looked broken with just some black tape around the end. THIS ROOM WAS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE BY ANY MEANS!! My partner is a property developer and could not believe what we were looking at! Basics regarding the consumer rights act. The shower may aswell have not been there as it was about as useful as a rain droplet. Many things wrong with these rooms wouldn’t have taken a great deal of tiny or money to rectify, but its just utter shoddy workmanship. The breakfast was... ok, however, the only option regarding milk was whole (full fat) well, excuse me, but not everyone drinks full fat milk, and the fact that there was even an alternative was despicable! Instead, we had to but some milk just so we could have a coffee in our room and as for breakfast, I even had to ask twice for a glass of water!!! And what's even more bizarre about this faulty towers hotel, is there was only ever one man working! He was the receptionist, the bar tender, the waiter, the front of house, he was everything! Infact, it wouldn't surprise me if he was the cook, dish washer, room cleaner, gardener aswell!! Very weird set up. When we checked out, I had to express my feelings and told him everything of what we found. He seemed to have no knowledge of the rooms as with everything I mentioned he said he didn't realise, but even more disgraceful was that he really didn't care. They'd had my money and they didn't care. We paid completely over the odds for an awful hotel. Infact, they ought to have paid us to stay there. The only good thing about this place was the location. It was a nice 10-15 min walk into the city centre. I strongly recommend anyone looking at this hotel looks elsewhere, the pictures are not the truth! Such a let down and I genuinely feel like I've been robbed. I will be taking this further... I have photographic evidence!!!!!

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bionvic84
wentworth106, Manager at Wentworth House, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. However if things really were as bad as you say I am sure you would have brought your dissatisfaction to our attention immediately. Instead you were in the room for some time before speaking to me.
If you had mentioned earlier that you were not happy with the room I could have offered you another four poster room, however by the time you spoke to me all the other rooms had checked in.
You told me you had looked at room 2 and would like to move to that room. I explained it wasn`t a four poster room and if you wanted move you could but it would be at the same rate. You accepted this.
The heaters are not all disconnected. The bedroom heaters in that part of the building are storage heaters which guests sometimes turn off meaning they don`t charge overnight. I offered you a heater to use until the storage heater had charged but you refused this.
Obviously the PAT testing should have taken place earlier, this was an oversight on our part and has now been rectified. However you never mentioned any concerns regarding the safety of the heaters until you were leaving. Had you mentioned this I could have provided you with a brand new heater.
Also you claimed that the light in the room was giving you a migraine, so it would appear that the reason you didn`t want a heater was that you wanted to move room, rather than any concerns about safety.
The milk portions we provide in the rooms are whole milk, however the milk used at breakfast is semi-skimmed and we would have been happy to provide you with a jug of milk for the room, had you requested it.
Most of the staff at the hotel carry out more than one task, which is standard in two star hotels. There are hotels in Bath which provide dedicated reception staff and bar staff etc. However these tend to be four star hotels and cost considerably more than £110.00 per night.
Once again I would like to apologise for the fact that you didn`t enjoy your stay, but you really can`t expect four standards at two star prices