“Happy New Year - right!!”
Review of Wentworth House

Wentworth House
Ranked #151 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 January 2009

My husband and I decided on a 2 night break to round off the Christmas holiday. The main attraction of the hotel was the hot tub.

We arriv ed and were shown to our room, which was very cold. We were told this would improve, it did but still not adequate to combat the cold weather.

There was no courtain in the clear window of the bathroom - the manager cheerfully said it had been like that for 3 years!

The dining room at breakfast was ABSOLUTELY FREEZING. They were too mean to put the 2 small heaters on before guests came in for breakfast. Some of the ingredients in the breakfast were cheap and nasty and the food on one day, lukewarm.

There was an underlying odour of indian cooking in the hotel - had it been a restaurant that would have been fine, but NOT the country house hotel Wentworth House is advertised as!

The hot tub was good (warmest place in the hotel).

The dress code of management and staff left something to be desired.

Overall - CRAP and at £95 per night RUBBISH VALUE.

Bath Tourist Information have taken this hotel off their recommendation list as it is so bad.

IT WOULD PROBABLY BENEFIT (soon) by a visit from Environmental Health and the HOTEL INSPECTOR!

vERY VERY DISAPPOINTING.

i DID SEND AN E MAIL TO POINT OUT THE NEGATIVE ISSUES - Manager says they will be attended to. Looking a the 50 plus reviews of this hotel - I don't believe it.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sixtypluses

Reviewed 1 January 2009

We stayed in this hotel for one night and we found it adequate for our needs, as it was just a base we didn't spend a huge amount of time there but the room was clean and tidy ( could do with a bit of redecoration).
The food at breakfast was good but the coffee and water for the tea makings were cold.
As for the people moaning about the walk to the centre of bath and back should stop being so lazy.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank firedj
Reviewed 28 December 2008

After looking at some of the hotels on the Visit Bath website, I thought I would treat my family to a luxury break at this hotel. The room cost more than I wanted to pay, but then again, we were getting an extra large room and four poster bed, or so I thought. When we arrived, I was immediately struck by the shabby and outdated decor. The staff were oblivious to our arrival and ignored us for 15 minutes as they talked on the phone and to each other. After finally getting to our room, I realised that I had wasted my money and that the luxury break I had anticipated was, instead, going to be a battle of endurance! The room was very drab and their was a distinct odour everywhere. The bathroom was awful and there was no heating in the room, despite the freezing weather. As we came to visit the town centre, we quickly left the room for our 10 minute walk to the town...this walk was so arduous that we had to take a taxi back in the evening. So, to sum up, the service was appaling, the room was shappy and the location is a hassle if you want to be able to walk quickly to and from the town centre! Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Chelseatina
Reviewed 30 November 2008

We checked in around 2 in the afternoon we were shown to our room and on entering we instantly noticed how cold it was. There was no heating on and so we decided to go out assuming it would be warm when we got back. We arrived back to the hotel at 8pm and still there was no heating on. We were freezing and phoned the reception to see when it would come on. They told us 10 o'clock. Unbelievable considering it was a freezing November night..... A shower was out of the question.
The toilet seat was broken and the extractor fan didn't work.
One day the bed wasn't made and the tea, coffee and milk was not replenished. The room door was left open so anyone could have gone in! When we complained we were met with an unsympathetic attitude. They told us that they have problems with their staff!! We told them it was unnacceptable when paying £135.00 a night and we really did expect better than this.
The walls were paper thin and we could hear conversations from other rooms.
On the second night a hen party came in from a night out and partied on into the small hours making it impossible to sleep....the management seemed oblivious to the fact that there were other guests in the hotel too!
The breakfast was edible but there were not enough staff to cope with the amount of guests meaning we had to wait 20 minutes to be served. They ran out of bread and had to go out to buy more!
All in all a dissapointing experience.

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank UkBertie
Reviewed 27 November 2008

Stayed at Wentworth Hotel last December. Went with my Mum for the Christmas Market, so booked a twin room. When we arrived we were shown to a double room and told that was the only room they had available. Even though our booking confirmation email from them stated a twin room. We had no choice but to share a bed!
The room was dull and the décor was nothing to be desired. The bathroom was very small and in desperate need of updating.
After exploring the rest of the hotel, it became apparent that the whole place was in desperate need of updating and a lick of paint!!

I will say the staff were fairly pleasant but pretty useless when it came to explaining why our booking had been messed up! The only positive was the breakfast!

Didn't want to stay there again this year, but it was the only hotel with rooms available. Booked it in August....Got a phone call the other day to say my booking was being cancelled and there were no rooms available. When I asked why, the person at the end of the phone was unsure and couldn't answer my question.
Booked it through www.booking.com so I contacted them. They were BRILLIANT and tried really hard to sort the problem out. Turns out Wentworth has a policy at 'this time of year', where they only accept bookings for 2 nights or more!! Where is this stated??!! Also why didn't they tell me this when the booking was made, AND before they took 50% of the booking fee?! Have checked their site and it does not state this or show restrictions on the dates I booked!

In the end decided that I wouldn't stay there even if they sorted it out. So now I am unable to go to the Christmas Market with my Mum and all our plans have been sabotaged!

I think Wentworth seriously need to think about what they are doing, I am so upset I feel like I want to warn everyone about them!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank princess_gabble
Reviewed 26 November 2008

Having booked the hotel 4 months in advance and being charged the first 50% of the fee, the hotel phoned a mere week before we were due to arrive to inform us they had no free rooms. With the addition of less than favourable reviews from previous guests I can only say that this must be the worst, most disorganised hotel in Bath. Thanks to them a family trip has been ruined due to a complete lack of any other spare rooms in the city for the dates we booked.

Thank you VERY much Wentworth House for making it clear what standards you run your business to and saving us the displeasure of staying in your low-grade hotel. To dub it Fawlty Towers would be far too kind.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2008

When myself and my other half got to the hotel. We found the staff to be very unhelpful to start with. We were then shown to our room which turned out to be very cold. There was mold on the windows, dirty towels, dirty carpets, The shower needed a good clean. One of the pipes was held on with abit of green tape. Also the tiles on the wall were blown. And as for the bed well i would"nt even let my pet dog sleep on it. We changed rooms three times and there all the same. Not WORTH the money

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple