“Two Star Only”
Review of Wentworth House

Wentworth House
Ranked #145 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Not to bad is 15 minutes from centre but walk back up very steep hill.
food OK but £15 for scampie and chips £5 for glass of wine bit over the top.
breakfast OK but be prepared to wait for your toast TV as old as the hills
will need to work hard for the third star

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Wentworth House

Reviewed 10 September 2009

While the outside of this hotel looked so promising, it seemed that the hotel room hadn't been dusted since perhaps spring 2008; my husband and I were both constantly sneezing in our room from the high amount of dust. The carpets were so dirty (seemed to scarcely have been vacuumed) that my husband warned me not to take my shoes off and/or walk around barefoot.

The mildew in the shower doors was impressive. I was tempted to buy Tilex at the Waitrose in town and deal with it myself. It was simply just gross and unnecessary. Just very sloppy 'cleaning'.

And although the staff was always friendly, considering that the place is a good 10 – 15 minute walk (or £6 taxi fare) from the city center and the terrible state of the rooms in this hotel, I would not recommend staying there, most particularly not for anyone with dust, mold or mildew allergies.

The breakfast was okay, the coffee was good, the food was basic, but the fruit was not very fresh, (the bananas were brown, the kiwis were wrinkled), and I noticed that they laid out the same manky fruit for breakfast the next morning.

Yeah, sorry, this place is a dust ball. Won’t be going back there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Have just returned from spending the Bank Holiday at this hotel. Was booked as a last minute treat as our planned trip to Wales had to be cancelled. Booked through Expedia, room only, and paid £90 per night for standard double. After checking Wentworth’s web site (and doesn’t it look lovely!!) decided to book. On arrival, told no double room, would have stay first night in family room and move to double on second night. Owner blamed Expedia and his staff for the mistake, then asked if we would like to upgrade to a premium double at a small extra cost for the second night! Rooms were extremely disappointing and tatty for the money paid, televisions didn’t even receive all terrestrial channels. A water cylinder is situated through a doorway from within the family room (Room 4), so every time anyone runs a tap, turns on the shower, or flushes the toilet, you have the wonderful sound of the water tank emptying and filling up again. On moving across the landing to the standard double for the second night (Room2), were woken abruptly in the middle of the night by a door slamming and voices arguing, the arguing eventually stopped to be replaced by someone snoring! The whole building has an air of neglect and desperately needs refurbished. I was totally disappointed with what I found considering what their website promises. Didn’t try any food there ate at The Bear pub down the road, which offered excellent food reasonably priced. I’ve attached some photos taken, to compare with their website.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Last week we were looking for a hotel in Bath for one night. So I called the Wntworth house to ask them about vacancies. Since we have never been to Bath I asked if they are close to the center, it was confirmed that within 5 minutes walk the city center can be reached. Also I told them that we are not really sure if we could make it to bath in time (until 9:30 p.m.) and if there is any problem to cancel it. The hotel also confirmed. Nevertheless I had to give them my credit card number.
We really did not make it in time and therefore I called the hotel again. Now somebody else answered and told me that I have to pay the whole price. To make the long story short: We arrived by midnight and the hotel looked that disgusting and also it was not at all in the center in bath. So we did not stay there and I advise everybody not to do so also.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SabineAachen
sahibBATH, Manager at Wentworth House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2009

I am sorry about the experience you had to go through. To clarify the misunderstanding we would like to make it clear that our hotel is within 5minutes drive and 15minutes walk from the city center.
We do require credit card details of every customer to confirm their booking.
We make special arrangements for late arrivals in case they inform before hand.Our cancellation policy is 48 hours before arrival canceling same same is considered as no show

Reviewed 26 July 2009

lovely friendly hotel. good service. lovely bedroom
great breakfast
a tiny few things were jaded though. ie. shower soap was empty other than that no complaints and would return and use hotel again

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Get a gorgeous view over the Bath area, 2½ min. drive up hill from Bath City Centre, in an old English style B&B mansion. Upon arrival great to start with a dip in the well kept pool or hot tub while enjoying the views- after a hot day's travel. Newly redecorated bathrooms. Triple room located under kitchen is far too noisy, but any other room would be fine. Owner explained the somewhat pricy rooms that they have to pay extra city tax to maintain old town Bath.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2009

friendly staff at reception.clean but small rooms. nice view from our room window, overlooked the swimming pool. good location, about 15 mins from the center on foot. good food for breakfast, you could have plenty.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple