“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
Review of Wentworth House

Wentworth House
Ranked #150 of 155 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I booked this hotel as an anniversary weekend away for my boyfriend and I, and could not have been more disappointed. The website looked lovely, but when we arrived there was not even a parking space to put the car.
I paid for a 'four-poster double room' which was so small you could barely get out on both sides of the bed, and the four- poster was more a wooden frame with some mis-matched material hanging from it!
The TV couldn't even receive the terrestial channels and the bathroom didn't even allow the luxury of a toilet roll as opposed to a paper dispenser on the wall!
At very best this is a bed and breakfast (although we didnt even try the food!)-not a hotel by any stretch of the imagination. I paid for Friday & Saturday night, but was so disappointed by what we found that we left first thing on Saturday morning, never mind the money that had already been paid.
Never ever again!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 December 2009

I was really worried about going to Wentworth House after reading the other reviews on TripAdvisor, but we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We were greeted by friendly staff and shown to a pleasant room with the most comfortable (and huge!) bed I've ever encountered. I felt like the Princess And The Pea without the pea - in fact it was so comfortable that we took note of the mattress make for next time we need to buy one!
The rooms were not enormous, but plenty big enough for what we needed, and tea, coffee, biscuits, kettle, bottled water, hairdryer and a small TV were all provided. It was a little chilly when we first arrived, but there was a heater in our room which soon solved that problem.
There was an electric shower (perfectly clean) but no bath in the en suite bathroom. Towels were provided and changed when we indicated that we needed fresh ones.
The only drawback to the room was that the walls were rather thin (as you'd expect from an old house like this one) and the guest next door was snoring rather enthusiastically!
Breakfast was lovely - fruit (both preserved and fresh), muffins, doughnuts, cereal, juice, tea, coffee and a cooked breakfast which came very quickly once ordered. It was a bit cramped in the dining room, but we went on Christmas market weekend so the hotel was very busy.
The views from the window were lovely, and I'm sure we'd have enjoyed the pool and hot tub if the weather had been better.
The hotel is a fair distance from the town centre - we didn't attempt the walk as it was very rainy whilst we were there, but buses into town are very frequent. We got a taxi back in the evening, although the buses do run until 11ish (but we were a long way from the bus stop and it was pouring!) which cost £6.
If this hotel was more centrally located, I would have no hesitation about booking for a return visit.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We booked this hotel for our first trip to Bath, we were celebrating our first anniversary, never again would I stay in that hotel. whilst the owners/staff were pleasant enough the hotel is dated, scruffy and in need of a thoroughly good clean. The smell of curry hits you as you enter the hotel which tends to hang in every room. We booked one of the four poster bedrooms with drapes!! our bedroom was so small you couldnt open the door fully as it hit on to the bed! the drapes were non existent - not that important but would have looked better. The room was mismatched, dated and again scruffy. The shower didnt work properly and kept going of whilst showering. The lounge area consisted of mismatched chairs and other oddments. I coulnt help but think of Fawlty Towers, all that was missing was the Moose Head. The food was good, although quite expensive as was the drinks. On the plus side Bath is an excellent city and we would certainly visit again - just not at this hotel.

Reviewed 20 September 2009

Not to bad is 15 minutes from centre but walk back up very steep hill.
food OK but £15 for scampie and chips £5 for glass of wine bit over the top.
breakfast OK but be prepared to wait for your toast TV as old as the hills
will need to work hard for the third star

Reviewed 10 September 2009

While the outside of this hotel looked so promising, it seemed that the hotel room hadn't been dusted since perhaps spring 2008; my husband and I were both constantly sneezing in our room from the high amount of dust. The carpets were so dirty (seemed to scarcely have been vacuumed) that my husband warned me not to take my shoes off and/or walk around barefoot.

The mildew in the shower doors was impressive. I was tempted to buy Tilex at the Waitrose in town and deal with it myself. It was simply just gross and unnecessary. Just very sloppy 'cleaning'.

And although the staff was always friendly, considering that the place is a good 10 – 15 minute walk (or £6 taxi fare) from the city center and the terrible state of the rooms in this hotel, I would not recommend staying there, most particularly not for anyone with dust, mold or mildew allergies.

The breakfast was okay, the coffee was good, the food was basic, but the fruit was not very fresh, (the bananas were brown, the kiwis were wrinkled), and I noticed that they laid out the same manky fruit for breakfast the next morning.

Yeah, sorry, this place is a dust ball. Won’t be going back there again.

Reviewed 1 September 2009

Have just returned from spending the Bank Holiday at this hotel. Was booked as a last minute treat as our planned trip to Wales had to be cancelled. Booked through Expedia, room only, and paid £90 per night for standard double. After checking Wentworth’s web site (and doesn’t it look lovely!!) decided to book. On arrival, told no double room, would have stay first night in family room and move to double on second night. Owner blamed Expedia and his staff for the mistake, then asked if we would like to upgrade to a premium double at a small extra cost for the second night! Rooms were extremely disappointing and tatty for the money paid, televisions didn’t even receive all terrestrial channels. A water cylinder is situated through a doorway from within the family room (Room 4), so every time anyone runs a tap, turns on the shower, or flushes the toilet, you have the wonderful sound of the water tank emptying and filling up again. On moving across the landing to the standard double for the second night (Room2), were woken abruptly in the middle of the night by a door slamming and voices arguing, the arguing eventually stopped to be replaced by someone snoring! The whole building has an air of neglect and desperately needs refurbished. I was totally disappointed with what I found considering what their website promises. Didn’t try any food there ate at The Bear pub down the road, which offered excellent food reasonably priced. I’ve attached some photos taken, to compare with their website.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Last week we were looking for a hotel in Bath for one night. So I called the Wntworth house to ask them about vacancies. Since we have never been to Bath I asked if they are close to the center, it was confirmed that within 5 minutes walk the city center can be reached. Also I told them that we are not really sure if we could make it to bath in time (until 9:30 p.m.) and if there is any problem to cancel it. The hotel also confirmed. Nevertheless I had to give them my credit card number.
We really did not make it in time and therefore I called the hotel again. Now somebody else answered and told me that I have to pay the whole price. To make the long story short: We arrived by midnight and the hotel looked that disgusting and also it was not at all in the center in bath. So we did not stay there and I advise everybody not to do so also.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SabineAachen
sahibBATH, Manager at Wentworth House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2009

I am sorry about the experience you had to go through. To clarify the misunderstanding we would like to make it clear that our hotel is within 5minutes drive and 15minutes walk from the city center.
We do require credit card details of every customer to confirm their booking.
We make special arrangements for late arrivals in case they inform before hand.Our cancellation policy is 48 hours before arrival canceling same same is considered as no show