“Relaxing stay close to town”
Review of Brooks Guesthouse

Brooks Guesthouse
Ranked #32 of 155 Bath B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed for two nights 4th and 5th Jan for a short break. Initially we were put in a room on the front of the hotel which was noisy but on asking the receptionist, we were given a room at the back the following day which was much quieter and made for a relaxing and comfortable stay. Bed very comfortable. Bathroom clean. Peter on reception was very helpful and an asset to the guest house. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel so cannot comment but the biscuits in the room, as mentioned in a previous review, were delicious. Good situation for town and amenities. Free parking permit was useful. Would stay at this guest house again.

Room Tip: If you need quiet to sleep, ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

After a chilly welcome we slept well at Brooks. When we checked in, there was no available rooms, so we used the living-room to change and get ready for a trip to Stonehenge. Suddently he said they had a room anyway. We were 4 people travelling together so we left all our luggage in one of the rooms and went to see Bath. When we came back in the evening the door was locked and nobody answered, since the staff had left. Two little old ladies was as confused as we were, but they called a phone number at the door and the staff told us about the box where our keys were dropped. It was the only bad thing about the hotel, and the staff should have told us about the keys and the closed door. At least I slept as a baby and the breakfast was very good! Rooms were nice, clean and comfy. We stayed for two nights and the rest of the staff was excellent, proffessional and friendly. I have no problems with recommending it to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We normally stay in a hotel but decided to stay in a guest house for a change and were very impressed. We enjoyed hotel levels of comfort and quality but guest house friendliness. Breakfast was an additional charge but very reasonable at £8.50 for a fresh cooked eggs hollandaise - no malingering sausages under a heat lamp. There was a wide choice of breakfast and all cooked to order. Very comfortable lounge with open fire and honesty bar finished our evening off nicely.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from our two night stay at Brooks. Upon our arrival on Friday night we were greeted by the receptionist who was very helpful and friendly offering advice on good places to visit and eat in Bath.
The room was great, we were even given a free upgrade from a kingside room to a superior room! The bed was very comfortable and the room very clean.
The tea and coffee facilities in the room were very generous and although our kettle didn't work at first, the receptionist immediately replaced it with one that worked as soon as we raised it to his attention.
The breakfast is good value and worth having. There is plenty of choice and the service is great.
I cannot fault this hotel, I would definitely recommend and would most certainly return in the future!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here during our Spa visit to Bath. Our twin room was small but very comfortable with lots of lovely original features and some glamorous touches (mirrors, lamps etc.). The beds were quite soft but very cosy and warm. The ensuite shower room was nicely finished and very clean. Unfortunately the kettle didn't work (only realised in the morning of our departure) and the curtains didn't fully close which let in some light (thank goodness for an eye-mask!). The window view... well there wasn't one (frosted glass would have been a good idea). Some other guests returning late were quite noisy on the stairs and in the room above but nothing major. Breakfast was amazing (excellent value) and I was very happy they were able to supply soya milk without question. Staff were very friendly and accommodating (even bringing my bags to my car!). Lounge area was very cosy and snug (we liked the idea of the honested bar!). Reception area is very compact (part of the charm I guess) and some work needs to be done securing the loose floor tiles (a tad hazardous). Good value for Bath and well situated (fairly central) and whilst on the main road was not overly noisy. A lovely change to the normal 'sterile' hotel accommodation. Wish we had been able to stay longer and would recommend!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed on a Saturday night for a weekend away in Bath. We love the city anyway but the accommodation at Brooks made the stay even more memorable. Wonderful hospitality from Peter, we aren't very demanding people anyway, but nothing was too much trouble. Lovely real fire in the lounge, clean and tidy, room 22 was large and luxurious. Breakfast the next day looked amazing but unfortunately I had to miss it while RAC fixed the broken down car :-( But Brooks didn't mind doing me a plated sausage sandwich which was brought to me roadside!
Only one tiny thing please next time could there be some body lotion as well as shower gel and shampoo?!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed for one night for a weekend break and overall was happy with my stay here.
The staff were friendly, polite and helpful and I couldn't fault the service. The room was small but accommodated my needs and was clean and nicely furnished. The en suite bathroom was absolutely tiny but they have made good use of limited space with the designer sink and shower etc. Again very clean and nicely decorated.
The breakfast was first class! The homemade granola and muesli really impressed me as I'm a bit of a foodie and touches like this stay in my mind. I had poached eggs on toast which were cooked to perfection and I'm very fussy about my eggs! Lovely fresh coffee and juice and lots of fresh fruit to choose from. Fab. There were also a Kilner jar of homemade ginger and cinnamon biscuits in the room, which was very personal and quite delicious too.
The only negative point I have to make about Brooks is that in the reception area as you enter the building, there is a Victorian floor made of mosaic tiles. The tiles are all loose and I actually tripped over a few of them by the desk and they flew all over the floor, which potentially could be very dangerous. I noticed that when I left the building a few hours later, someone had re-positioned the tiles, all ready for someone else to trip over :/
I have the same flooring at my house and it's very easy to adhere them back to the floor. This is a serious health and safety issue.