“Wonderful!”

Ranked #11 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Nor Cali
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was at the Kennard for four nights, in the tiny single with a shared bath. Its a beautiful property and though I was in a small room I had access to a lovely sitting area and the garden. The room itself was comfortable, quiet and well appointed. I never had any issues with the shared bath.

The owners were wonderful and helpful hosts. The breakfast was top of the line and I fell in love with their array of tea. (I want some of that Japanese Cherry tea!!!)

The hotel is located just steps away from the Pultney Bridge which puts the visitor right there where all the attractions are, yet the neighborhood is quiet and peaceful. I had such a lovely time I fully intend to return.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly to book, then you can ask about the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank logansama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is such a lovely B&B. The location was perfect, 3 minute walk into downtown Bath and the room was beautifully decorated, comfortable and had a fabulous view out the window. The breakfast was delicious and because we had to leave very early in the morning they packed us a very nice breakfast to take with us. The converted house was very, very old which we Americans just loved! Lot's of history.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed at the Kennard two nights. What a fabulous place!! Everything -room, food, view, owners and staff were great! We stayed in room 4 with a lovely view of the garden. Very comfy. Would definitely stay here again -highly recommend !!!

Stayed July 2014
Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Lovely B&B in a superb location for central Bath. This is our second stay here and both times we have felt very welcome and pampered in the lovely elegant rooms. The Full English breakfast is a must! will go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I can already see the owners' defensive response (to be fair I would have given 3.5 but this was not an option). Pluses- good location, attention to detail (breakfast is served on fine china), single room is tiny but attempts to meet my needs except the minuses below. Minuses- lack of warmth from the owners which other reviewers have noted, single room badly needs aircon though there is a fan as it suffers from noise on the street (other B&B in street so late night revellers especially on Friday/sat), wall separating it from next room is only plasterboard n I could hear conversation next door, room does not have ensuite but that is why I "only" paid 68 pounds per night, not good value when international travellers compare this with hotels on the continent and in other English places like delightful Stratford (where I paid 50 pounds for a double and the host was full of warmth), the separate bathroom was infested with moths but I did not notice this elsewhere in Bath or England. To be fair, Mary did make a couple of recommendations (Pump Room for tea and The Circle for dinner) but unfortunately I did not enjoy both the places. Bath itself does not have much to offer apart from the Roman Bath and Royal Crescent but perhaps domestic visitors might delight in it (it cant compare with Cologne with its superb museums, shops and eateries not to mention the Dom). Bath does not work well as a base as the day trip to the Cotswold i was trying to get on was fully booked out (others with same idea trying to escape a historic and charmless city clinging to it's status as Britains second city in Georgian times?!). Regrettably I must say I prob would not return to Bath and therefore the Kennard.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Sydsolo
MaryandGiovanni, Owner at The Kennard, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
We are personally offended by your review.
After all the information we provided for you on what to do, what to see, where to eat and where to enjoy yourself, and after all the time we spent chatting with you, reserving restaurants for you, and every evening discussing how your day had been, you have the nerve to say that we lack warmth? What were your expectations?
By the number of returning guests and the many favourable reviews you can see on this and other websites, we feel we are offering the kind of hospitality people are looking for and appreciating.
As for Bath, this World Heritage City needs no defenders of its beauties. Pity you did not like it.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

we had a bad experience with another hotel in Bath, so we decided to try the Kennard, what a delight, the owners went out of the way to make us feel welcome, even lending me an iron and ironing board (thanks Mary) the room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, and may I add that the shower was the best I've ever used, I didn't want to get out of it!
the breakfast was very tasty, and we had a different one every day as there is such a good choice. Location wise, you couldn't be better positioned, really central for everything that you might want to do in Bath
Do yourself a favour, next time you need to stay in Bath, ook into this lovely hotel, Mary and Giovanni will look after you and I bet you'll go back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mason, Ohio
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This darling B&B in Bath is visually stunning. Every room is beautiful to look at, but the breakfast room is magnificent. Giovanni and Mary are gracious hosts, even carrying our heavy suitcases to the third floor. They were extremely accommodating, anticipating our every need before we even knew what we needed. Our room was small, but very nice, elegantly decorated and super clean. Take some time to enjoy the stately garden courtyard, which has been restored to match the 18th century style. Breakfast, ah breakfast... How does a tiny B&B provide such a grand breakfast, made to order, classic English breakfast or five other choices, like omelets or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. Five coffee choices served French press style. Yummy! Would love to stay here again and often.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends