“'Average' - adjective; typical; common; ordinary”
Review of Hilton Bath City

Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“'Average' – adjective; typical; common; ordinary”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

It's a Hilton - it's never going to be terrible & it's in Bath, so it has the advantage of sitting in the middle of a beautiful historic city.

But it's old & really doesnt have the character that befits the city. In terms of location, the hotel is in the centre of town but there is no free parking and when I think back to the room I think of a retirement home - floral carpets, decorative 'throw' on the end of the bed etc... but without the quaint 'country manor' feel. The Hilton Bath is concrete heaven.

If you can get a cheap rate for the room then go for it - you wont be spedning much time in the hotel with so much to do in the city - and location wise you're within walking distance from all there is to do in Bath.

Room Tip: Keep your fingers crossed for a refurb...
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sully_Caffs
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond to your feedback.

I appreciate your comments and feedback about the look and feel of the hotel. I concede that the building, which was built in the early 70's, does not have the same appeal as the rest of Bath, which is known for it's beautiful English architecture.

I appreciate your comments about the design of our bedrooms. We are coming to the end of a refurbishment project, which will see all of our 173 bedrooms refurbished with full air conditioning by mid next year. We have just completed a full refurbishment of 54 bedrooms.

We are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience and I hope to welcome you back in the near future to experience this for yourself.

Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Bath City

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

This trip was booked by our children for our 50th Wedding Anniversary. After being upgraded our room was dirty, tissues left behind taps, hairs in bath, curtains very worn and dirty and chair in room filthy! In the evening we went to hotel Restaurant but found it very dark and cold and not a lot of variety on menu.Complained to staff and all they did was give us a candle for our table. We decided not to eat in Restaurant the following night

1 Thank eljay1969
Dear Sir/Madam

I appreciate your comments and feedback about the poor housekeeping you have experienced. This is certainly not representative of our usual high standards and I can assure you that I have personally investigated this to ensure we do not have a re-occurrence.

We are nearing the end of an extensive refurbishment program with only 16 bedrooms and our restaurant areas left to do. I appreciate your comments about the restaurant.

Please feel free to contact me on 01225 788400 so that I may personally welcome you back once we have finished our refurbishment.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Stayed here on a weekend-good helpful staff,food mostly good ,drinks expensive.
The breakfast chef on sunday morning was nowhere near as good as the Saturday one! On Sunday the hot food was poorly cooked & the frozen danish pastries were pale,andercooked and covered in masses of icing sugar.Tinned fruit & preserves in plastic containers.
The Bedrooms of this Hotel built in 1973 have no soundproofing - the walls are thin & you can hear the T.V. & neighbours talking next door- as are the bedroom doors and windows -you can even hear the other guests talking as they walk/run down the corridors at all hours of the day & night. ( refer also to 3rd april review.)
So do not stay hear if you have a problem with "perceived noise"as the Management term it and are not bothered by noisy bedrooms.! Take a River View Room at the far end of a corridor on the top floor to have a better chance of a good nights sleep.
Hotels like this in city centres will not go to the expense of soundproofing bedrooms as they rely mostly on passing tourist trade.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I wanted to personally reply and thank you for your feedback.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the soundproofing of the hotel. We realise there is a problem and we are currently looking into how we can soundproof without affecting the façade of the building as Bath has strict planning guidelines.

I was extremely sorry to read your comments regarding your experience in our Restaurant. We generally receive a lot of compliments about our food. I apologise you found us wanting on this occasion. I have taken this up with both my Chef and Restaurant Manager. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Thank you for your comments relating to bar prices. Unfortunately these are partially set by our head office but are also in line with other hotels in the area.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to our staff and I was pleased to read that you found us helpful during your stay.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We got a special deal, GBP81 inclusive for 1 night.

5 mins walk to The Roman Bath, Waitrose is right next to the hotel.

Car Park is underneath the hotel
(P.S Get the ticket from the gate, but settle payment at the hotel, otherwise, it will cost more!)

Excellent b'fast. Nice staff.

Shower gel, hand soup, shampoo, conditioner are all by Crabtree.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton Bath City and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly are very fortunate with the central location.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Bath City.

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

This was a one-night stay as a last hurrah before flying home, and we weren't at all disappointed. I don't know what's happened since the previous reviews - a refurbishment, evidently - but I barely recognise the place which attracted those negative comments.

We booked well in advance through Expedia, getting the double room and breakfast for £65, which made it cheaper than any of the self-catering accommodation we'd had during the holiday.

Arriving early, we couldn't have been made more welcome: Alexandra, the lovely front-of-house manager, made sure we felt that it was no trouble to check in and leave our luggage while we set about re-acquainting ourselves with Bath - and this hotel is fantastically convenient for that purpose. They've even been thoughtful enough to put a tall church just across the road so you can find your way home with a quick glance at the skyline.

Coming back a little later, we found our luggage waiting in the room - a good-sized standard with everything you'd expect from a middle-of-the-road chain and a wonderful shower (always welcome after a day on the road).

In the bar, we found William and Helen most pleasant and attentive; at breakfast the following morning, Gerald was even better, although pipped at the post by the breakfast buffet itself. Munching our croissants as we looked out over a sunlit river towards the abbey, we had no complaints about either service or food.

Negatives? Well, we found the wired internet access in the rooms very dated and inflexibly-priced (24 hours, a full week, or nothing). There was some street noise late at night (although I've yet to come across anything other than a deluxe city-centre hotel that doesn't suffer from that, to one degree or another). The restaurant, though boasting great views, is a little reminiscent of a cafeteria, and the lounge is more akin to a lobby seating area.

We decided not to take advantage of the £20+ overnight parking offered by Hilton themselves (in the shopping centre car park below), choosing instead to drop the bags off and go in search of a long-stay car park further afield - about ten minutes' walk from the hotel at Charlotte Street and £8.50 for the duration of our stay.

All in all, Bath City was no less than I'd expect from a provincial Hilton, with the bonuses of a great location and some excellent staff.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you in particular for recommending Alexandra, William, Helen and Gerald from our Reception and Restaurant who are members of staff who delivered outstanding service and communication. They will all be invited to our colleague celebrations, and recognised.

Over £3 million pounds has been invested in the hotel over the last 2 years. A further 54 bedrooms have just been completed at the end of May 2011, bringing to a close a 12-week renovation phase. The next phase will include the refurbishment of the final 16 bedrooms and the last phase will see the hotel totally redesign its restaurant and bar. Once all phases of the renovation are completed, Hilton Bath City will offer 173 modern bedrooms featuring a luxurious, contemporary design.

Thank you for your comments relating to parking. Unfortunately as you are aware we do not own a car park in Bath. As a result, we have negotiated a rate with the Podium shopping centre. The usual rate is £25.00 per 24 hours. We have managed to reduce this to £21.00 per 24 hour period. I appreciate this is not a cheap rate, but this facility is manned and more secure than comparative car parks in Bath. I note that you chose to park in Charlotte Street Car Park which is one of the different car parks we offer our guests as an alternative.

I note your comments regarding our wired internet in the rooms. We provide internet in all rooms in conjunction with I-Bahn via a cable. The entire ground floor of the hotel has wi-fi and vouchers for both are available via the Reception. Negotiations are at present taking place regarding the installation of wi-fi throughout the entire hotel and we plan to introduce this towards the end of this year.

I was sorry to read your comments relating to the external noise. The hotel is very well situated in the centre of the City, such external noise is hard to control. We certainly are very fortunate with our central location and the views of the River Avon and Pulteney Bridge. However, being a central location, in a busy city can have drawbacks such as perceived noise. We do allocate guests who specify quiet rooms in a river facing area that is quieter than at the front of the hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I stayed here about 5 years ago with my better half and we had a very average experience.

5 years on and things are better, but have a little way to go.

I booked at short notice, having found myself in Bath a day early courtesy of volcanic ash and weather preventing my transitory return home to north of Hadrian's wall - so I wasn't expecting it to be good value. It was pricey, but necessary. Nevertheless when you pay more you expect more. This Hilton pretty much did that.

Check-in was friendly and helpful. A smile costs nothing but makes a difference a lot of the time.

After my last experience I was expecting drab rooms and dark corridors and underwhelming food. But they have clearly made and are still making a big effort to improve this hotel.

To be fair, I got upgraded which got me a huge "plaza" room, with a very nice recently refurbished bathroom. The aircon isn't up and running yet, so I can understand some of the reviews' comments about heat. My room faced east so didn't get the sun after the morning and with a window open, facing the river, was cool and still quiet. There is work ongoing, so for the next wee while I'd not expect a lie in in this hotel as there was drilling and hammering after 9am running until early evening.

The room itself was very comfortable. In the "plaza" room the plate of local bakery goodies is a nice touch. The lack of a fridge (I don't care for minibars, but it's nice to be able to chill things) is a bit odd (and no ice machine either)

The gym is small but everything works (often in hotels of this size maintenance is a problem).

Breakfast was good but I got the impression many of the restaurant staff are very young and not wholly trained - as an often solo traveller I'm used to having my breakfast removed from under me when I'm up at the buffet topping up, but to have it happen twice is silly and means that staff aren't being trained to be attentive enough.

Overall much of the above might make you think I'd have given this hotel a 3 not a 4. But the staff's attitude is good, there is clearly a big effort underway to improve this hotel, and I was well fed and well rested after a day of travel hassle. Can't ask for more than that.

Room Tip: ask for a river facing room at check-in
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Heidbummer
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

Over £3 million pounds has been invested in the hotel over the last 2 years. A further 54 bedrooms have just been completed at the end of May 2011, bringing to a close a 12-week renovation phase. While the next phase, which will include the refurbishment of the final 16 bedrooms, the last phase will see the hotel totally redesign its restaurant and bar. Once all phases of the renovation are completed, Hilton Bath City will offer 173 modern bedrooms featuring a luxurious, contemporary design.

I note your feedback regarding no fridge being available in your room. Fridges are available in our 4 suites and a selection of our other rooms. For future reservations with us please note that fridges are available upon request from our Housekeeping Department.

I appreciate your comments regarding our gym. Earlier this year the gym underwent a total refurbishment with the installation of “Precor by Hilton” equipment which has proved to be extremely popular with our guests and is open 24 hours a day.

Thank you for your feedback relating to your breakfast and I note that you found the restaurant staff young and not wholly trained. We pride ourselves on our customer service at Hilton Bath City, and I can certainly say this is not indicative of our usual standard. As with any feedback, I can assure you this will be communicated to all staff involved, so that they may learn from this situation and any training issues addressed. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2011

The hotel might not look the prettiest from the outside but the rooms are modern and very clean, but maybe on the small side. The hotel is ideally located near the centre, short walk from all the popular sites. We had a room of the river side, so it was very quiet apart from the noise from the seagulls. The room was impeccable, there was a problem with one of the shower glass doors but it got fixed on our second day before I had a chance to tell reception. The place felt well looked after.

Room Tip: get a room on the river side
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your feedback regarding the size of your room. The hotel was built in 1973, and the standard of hotel room layout has dramatically changed over the last 30 years. We have a fantastic location, but some of our rooms are smaller due to the size of our building. All of our smaller rooms have now been refurbished to a high standard to make the most of the size and maximise space.

I appreciate your very kind comments and I note you felt the hotel was well looked after. We certainly are very fortunate with the central location and the views of the River Avon and Pulteney Bridge.