“Delighted to find only 3 minutes away from Roman Baths, Cathedral etc”
Review of Hilton Bath City

Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Very pleasant family room. Large room, lovely big bed, nice decor, sofa. Central location made it so easy to get around, was a great base. Picturesque views of the river from the restaurant. Robert Powell was stayingwhile we were there. Good price £168 room and breakfast 2 nights.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosebug
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I note all your kind comments regarding your room. Over £3 million has been invested in the hotel over the last 2 years with 54 bedrooms having just been completed at the end of May 2011, all with air-conditioning, bringing to a close a 12-week renovation phase. The next phase will include the refurbishment of the final 16 bedrooms, the last phase will see the hotel totally redesign its restaurant and bar. Once all phases of the renovation are completed, Hilton Bath City will offer 173 modern bedrooms featuring a luxurious, contemporary design. We are extremely excited about our refurbishment programme and hope we can welcome you back in the future to see the changes we have made.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to our hotel and its location. We are certainly very fortunate with the central location and the views of the River Avon and Pulteney Bridge.

Hilton Bath City

Write a ReviewReviews (3,005)

Reviewed 6 June 2011

We booked two nights in a compact room through the hotel website with a special offer (spring offer 184£ for 2 nights, breakfast incl.). We arrived at our hotel at 19h00. Reception was quick and we were greeted as Hilton Honors. Our room (108) was clean, but indeed compact. A welcome fruitplatter and two chocolates were waiting for us. Roomwas hot with no A/C. bathroom with washbassin, toilet and a large shower. All very clean.
Newspaper delivered on the morning, breakfast OK in breakfast area overlooking the river.
Bed very hard and squeeky. Not the same beds as Hilton hotels in the US.
At 13h00 next day, room was not cleaned yet. At 16h00 room was still not cleaned, Phoned housekeeping, and 15 mins. later cleaner knoccked at the door. We said we only wanted fresh towels.
We did not take dinner at restaurant.
Overall an OK hotel (if you don't have to pay full price) with friendly staff. The hotel is close to all touristic places (Bath is not that large).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2011

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond to your feedback.

I appreciate your comments and feedback about the size of hotel rooms vs our US hotels. Some of our older buildings, like the Hilton Bath City, do present challenges, specifically in terms of size.

We are nearing the end of an extensive refurbishment program with the last 50 bedrooms receiving state of the art air conditioning by end of next year. I appreciate the frustration a non AC room presents our guests.

We generally aim for all our rooms to be cleaned by 15H00, although this will sometimes overrun depending on guest movement. I appreciate your feedback that it was late on this particular day.

I take on board your comments about the bed and are happy to report that all will be replaced by June next year at the end of our refurbishment program. We have up until now replaced 80% of our beds.

We are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience and I hope to welcome you back in the near future to experience this for yourself.

Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Bath City

Reviewed 31 May 2011

It's a Hilton - it's never going to be terrible & it's in Bath, so it has the advantage of sitting in the middle of a beautiful historic city.

But it's old & really doesnt have the character that befits the city. In terms of location, the hotel is in the centre of town but there is no free parking and when I think back to the room I think of a retirement home - floral carpets, decorative 'throw' on the end of the bed etc... but without the quaint 'country manor' feel. The Hilton Bath is concrete heaven.

If you can get a cheap rate for the room then go for it - you wont be spedning much time in the hotel with so much to do in the city - and location wise you're within walking distance from all there is to do in Bath.

Room Tip: Keep your fingers crossed for a refurb...
  • Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sully_Caffs

Dear Sir/Madam

I appreciate your comments and feedback about the look and feel of the hotel. I concede that the building, which was built in the early 70's, does not have the same appeal as the rest of Bath, which is known for it's beautiful English architecture.

I appreciate your comments about the design of our bedrooms. We are coming to the end of a refurbishment project, which will see all of our 173 bedrooms refurbished with full air conditioning by mid next year. We have just completed a full refurbishment of 54 bedrooms.

Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Bath City

Reviewed 29 May 2011

This trip was booked by our children for our 50th Wedding Anniversary. After being upgraded our room was dirty, tissues left behind taps, hairs in bath, curtains very worn and dirty and chair in room filthy! In the evening we went to hotel Restaurant but found it very dark and cold and not a lot of variety on menu.Complained to staff and all they did was give us a candle for our table. We decided not to eat in Restaurant the following night

1  Thank eljay1969

Dear Sir/Madam

I appreciate your comments and feedback about the poor housekeeping you have experienced. This is certainly not representative of our usual high standards and I can assure you that I have personally investigated this to ensure we do not have a re-occurrence.

We are nearing the end of an extensive refurbishment program with only 16 bedrooms and our restaurant areas left to do. I appreciate your comments about the restaurant.

Please feel free to contact me on 01225 788400 so that I may personally welcome you back once we have finished our refurbishment.

Reviewed 26 May 2011

Stayed here on a weekend-good helpful staff,food mostly good ,drinks expensive.
The breakfast chef on sunday morning was nowhere near as good as the Saturday one! On Sunday the hot food was poorly cooked & the frozen danish pastries were pale,andercooked and covered in masses of icing sugar.Tinned fruit & preserves in plastic containers.
The Bedrooms of this Hotel built in 1973 have no soundproofing - the walls are thin & you can hear the T.V. & neighbours talking next door- as are the bedroom doors and windows -you can even hear the other guests talking as they walk/run down the corridors at all hours of the day & night. ( refer also to 3rd april review.)
So do not stay hear if you have a problem with "perceived noise"as the Management term it and are not bothered by noisy bedrooms.! Take a River View Room at the far end of a corridor on the top floor to have a better chance of a good nights sleep.
Hotels like this in city centres will not go to the expense of soundproofing bedrooms as they rely mostly on passing tourist trade.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I wanted to personally reply and thank you for your feedback.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the soundproofing of the hotel. We realise there is a problem and we are currently looking into how we can soundproof without affecting the façade of the building as Bath has strict planning guidelines.

I was extremely sorry to read your comments regarding your experience in our Restaurant. We generally receive a lot of compliments about our food. I apologise you found us wanting on this occasion. I have taken this up with both my Chef and Restaurant Manager. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Thank you for your comments relating to bar prices. Unfortunately these are partially set by our head office but are also in line with other hotels in the area.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to our staff and I was pleased to read that you found us helpful during your stay.

Reviewed 26 May 2011

We got a special deal, GBP81 inclusive for 1 night.

5 mins walk to The Roman Bath, Waitrose is right next to the hotel.

Car Park is underneath the hotel
(P.S Get the ticket from the gate, but settle payment at the hotel, otherwise, it will cost more!)

Excellent b'fast. Nice staff.

Shower gel, hand soup, shampoo, conditioner are all by Crabtree.

Dear Sir/Madam

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton Bath City and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly are very fortunate with the central location.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Bath City.

Reviewed 25 May 2011

This was a one-night stay as a last hurrah before flying home, and we weren't at all disappointed. I don't know what's happened since the previous reviews - a refurbishment, evidently - but I barely recognise the place which attracted those negative comments.

We booked well in advance through Expedia, getting the double room and breakfast for £65, which made it cheaper than any of the self-catering accommodation we'd had during the holiday.

Arriving early, we couldn't have been made more welcome: Alexandra, the lovely front-of-house manager, made sure we felt that it was no trouble to check in and leave our luggage while we set about re-acquainting ourselves with Bath - and this hotel is fantastically convenient for that purpose. They've even been thoughtful enough to put a tall church just across the road so you can find your way home with a quick glance at the skyline.

Coming back a little later, we found our luggage waiting in the room - a good-sized standard with everything you'd expect from a middle-of-the-road chain and a wonderful shower (always welcome after a day on the road).

In the bar, we found William and Helen most pleasant and attentive; at breakfast the following morning, Gerald was even better, although pipped at the post by the breakfast buffet itself. Munching our croissants as we looked out over a sunlit river towards the abbey, we had no complaints about either service or food.

Negatives? Well, we found the wired internet access in the rooms very dated and inflexibly-priced (24 hours, a full week, or nothing). There was some street noise late at night (although I've yet to come across anything other than a deluxe city-centre hotel that doesn't suffer from that, to one degree or another). The restaurant, though boasting great views, is a little reminiscent of a cafeteria, and the lounge is more akin to a lobby seating area.

We decided not to take advantage of the £20+ overnight parking offered by Hilton themselves (in the shopping centre car park below), choosing instead to drop the bags off and go in search of a long-stay car park further afield - about ten minutes' walk from the hotel at Charlotte Street and £8.50 for the duration of our stay.

All in all, Bath City was no less than I'd expect from a provincial Hilton, with the bonuses of a great location and some excellent staff.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you in particular for recommending Alexandra, William, Helen and Gerald from our Reception and Restaurant who are members of staff who delivered outstanding service and communication. They will all be invited to our colleague celebrations, and recognised.

Over £3 million pounds has been invested in the hotel over the last 2 years. A further 54 bedrooms have just been completed at the end of May 2011, bringing to a close a 12-week renovation phase. The next phase will include the refurbishment of the final 16 bedrooms and the last phase will see the hotel totally redesign its restaurant and bar. Once all phases of the renovation are completed, Hilton Bath City will offer 173 modern bedrooms featuring a luxurious, contemporary design.

Thank you for your comments relating to parking. Unfortunately as you are aware we do not own a car park in Bath. As a result, we have negotiated a rate with the Podium shopping centre. The usual rate is £25.00 per 24 hours. We have managed to reduce this to £21.00 per 24 hour period. I appreciate this is not a cheap rate, but this facility is manned and more secure than comparative car parks in Bath. I note that you chose to park in Charlotte Street Car Park which is one of the different car parks we offer our guests as an alternative.

I note your comments regarding our wired internet in the rooms. We provide internet in all rooms in conjunction with I-Bahn via a cable. The entire ground floor of the hotel has wi-fi and vouchers for both are available via the Reception. Negotiations are at present taking place regarding the installation of wi-fi throughout the entire hotel and we plan to introduce this towards the end of this year.

I was sorry to read your comments relating to the external noise. The hotel is very well situated in the centre of the City, such external noise is hard to control. We certainly are very fortunate with our central location and the views of the River Avon and Pulteney Bridge. However, being a central location, in a busy city can have drawbacks such as perceived noise. We do allocate guests who specify quiet rooms in a river facing area that is quieter than at the front of the hotel.