“Reliable experience every time - bit noisy this time though!”
Review of Hilton Bath City

Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cardiff
“Reliable experience every time - bit noisy this time though!”
Reviewed 24 August 2011

This is the third time we have stayed at this hotel,each time for a short birthday break. We have stayed elsewhere in Bath, but keep coming back to the Hilton because we know that we can rely on a consistent level of service, the location is ideal for our needs and the price is not excessive.
We booked a Compact room as usual, small - but for a short stay it provides all you need. The areas of service we felt were exceptionally good were reception (arrival and departure) and cleaning. We only took breakfast at the hotel - it was okay, but not memorable. Service in the restaurant was efficient, but we felt there there was more emphasis on processing guests than making them feel welcome.
The only complaint I have on this visit was noise. Inside the hotel was fine, however we had a room at the front of the hotel and with it being a peak seaon saturday, the noise from the evening revellers in the road outside was an irritation. Coupled with the early morning seagulls and I did not sleep too well. My wife however, managed to sleep through it all! I am sure mid-week it would not be an issue but, if possible, try and get a room at the back.
We will undoubtedly come back to Bath and I am sure that we wil stay at the Hilton. On the whole I think they provide a good service.

Room Tip: Book one at the back to avoid the noise!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website and I was extremely pleased to note that you have chosen Hilton Bath City on several occasions to enjoy a short birthday break.

I wanted to personally reply and thank you for your feedback.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to our hotel and staff.

We certainly are very fortunate with the central location and the views of the River Avon and Pulteney Bridge. However, being a central location, in a busy city can have drawbacks such as perceived noise. We do allocate guests who specify quiet rooms in a river facing area that is quieter than at the front of the hotel. For future reservations with us please contact us direct with your confirmation number and we will ensure that you are allocated a rear facing room.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Bath City.

Hilton Bath City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Bath. What a beautiful town. Well worth a visit as is the Hilton Bath. Unfortunately it isn’t housed within one of Bath’s Georgian mansions but is, nonetheless, a very nice hotel.

Bath is very compact so as long as you are on the main grid then everything is really accessible. There is also no parking throughout much of the city so you will need to leave your car at the car park up the hill (cheaper) or pay through the nose and leave it at the shopping centre car park near the hotel reception. Reception will give you directions to the cheaper car park.

The room was a pleasant surprise. Recently refurbished, the presentation was to a high and contemporary standard. Bed was comfy, breakfast was great and the fitness centre, although small, was good. No pool or spa which was a bit of a shame. A spa would be a great addition.

Once again, overpriced WIFI so we’d recommend going down the road to the library (it is on top of the Waitrose supermarket) and using their public terminals for next to nothing.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton Bath City and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly are very fortunate with the central location.

I appreciate your comments and feedback about the look of the hotel. I concede that the building, which was built in the early 70's, does not have the same appeal as the rest of Bath, which is known for it's beautiful English architecture.

I appreciate your comments regarding our wi-fi service. We are in the process of installing wi-fi throughout the entire hotel and addressing our charges.

Finksburg, Maryland
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My family and I arrived late and were met by a wonderful desk manager. She checked us in and was extremely friendly. When we arrived at our room we found that a mistake had been made and the room only held 2 people. When we went back to the desk the same young lady listened to our issue and promply changed our room to one that would handle all of us at no additional charge. (It was later found that the original person who took the reservation at the Hilton 800 number never bother to include that it was for a family of 4). Our desk manager not only took care of our room but gave us a voucher for a free soda for the kids but also a free bottle of wine for the wife and I. Now this is customer service. The mistake was not the hotels but she went above and beyond to make us happy.
The room was very well appointed and clean. The furnishings were new and well kept. The bathroom was a nice size and very clean. The beds were the best we slept in during our 18 days in England. I only wish we would have been staying more than 1 night. This hotel and its staff are exactly what a Hilton is suppose to be.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I wanted to personally reply and thank you for your feedback.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to our hotel. We certainly are very fortunate with the central location and the views of the River Avon and Pulteney Bridge.

I was extremely pleased to read all your feedback regarding the excellent service you received from our Reception. I will ensure your feedback is passed to the team.

Feusisberg, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 August 2011

A brilliant location in a beautiful city. Staff a little offhand but friendly,maybe under stress with two buses of people.
Charging for internet is not on. Cheap hotels and even B&B's manage to include it but at 15£ in the room it is a disgrace.
In this era of smart phones I see no reason whatsoever to a)charge anything and b) charge an exorbitant amount.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I wanted to personally reply and thank you for your feedback.

I appreciate your feedback regarding our internet and our charges. We are at present installing wi-fi throughout the entire hotel and addressing our present charges.

I was extremely sorry to read that you found our staff a little offhand. We pride ourselves on our customer service at Hilton Bath City, and I can certainly say this is not indicative of our usual standard. As with any feedback, I can assure you this will be communicated to all staff, so that they may learn from this situation. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention

London
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Positives:
- great location right in the centre of bath
- comfortable room ('Compact' room is small but not too small)
- good buffet breakfast

Negatives:
- No wifi (a BT network is supposed to be accessible if purchased but our room didn't have a signal)
- No A/C
- No minibar

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton Bath City and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us we certainly are very fortunate with our central location.

I note your negative points.

I appreciate your feedback regarding our internet service. At present wi-fi is available throughout the ground floor of the hotel with the majority of the bedrooms having wired internet access. We are at present in the process of installing wi-fi throughout the entire hotel and addressing our present charges.

I note your feedback regarding no air conditioning in your room. Out of 173 bedrooms 125 presently have air conditioning installed with the remainder of rooms to be completed next year.

Complimentary mini-bars are available in our 4 Suites. Fridges are placed in some of the bedrooms, however, fridges are available upon request from our Housekeeping Department.

We are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience and I hope to welcome you back in the near future to experience this for yourself.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Excellent location and very comfortable stay. Got upgraded to the executive room with a king bed and had a beautiful view from our room. We had the buffet breakfast and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. Would stay here again! 10 minute walk to the roman baths and great shopping just up the road. Supermarket just one block away. Very convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the beautiful city
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Stayed in a Family Room in mid July 2011. The room was nice with apparently recently updated fittings and furnishings - everything clean and modern including the bathroom.

Although there seems to have been a bit of a design error in our particular bathroom - the toilet paper holder seems to have been positioned so as to interfere with seat and lid positioning during use ! - sitting behind the user and not allowing the seat/lid to rest upright. A very minor inconvenience,and actually more bemusing than inconvenient.

Our room faced the river which was a pleasant outlook - didn't seem to notice the seagulls as reported by others. The pillows on the bed however were uncomfortable - a call to housekeeping on the second night of the stay got additional (but not necessarily better) pillows. A little disappointing also after preselecting pillows before arrival via the "Hilton Hotels Requests Upon Arrival" page on the Hilton website after booking ! Though we didn't follow this up with the hotel during our stay.

Overall though we had a nice couple of nights. The hotel is ok value for money based on service, location and ammenities - but not an exceptional deal... Though we would certainly recommend it to people who are after something at this end of the market in Bath

Bath City is beautiful and the hotel is well located for access to restaurants and attractions in the city centre - what you want from this sort of a hotel really.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family