“Shopping Trip.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Shopping Trip.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

1. Very convenient for the centre of Bath.
2. Good parking arrangement with car park virtually next door.
3. Reception, restaurant, room all pleasant, clean and up to standard.
4. Service good in reception and at breakfast.
5. Variety of food at breakfast was good, but unfortunately all let down by VERY poor cooked breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton Bath City and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly are very fortunate with the central location.

Thank you for your feedback relating to your breakfast, I was extremely sorry to read that you felt it was very poorly cooked. I will certainly pass your comments over to the Chef. We generally receive a lot of compliments about our food, I am sorry you did not enjoy your breakfast on this occasion

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Bath City.

Hilton Bath City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

This hotel was nothing short of a major disapointment. The room was small and cramped. I booked a twin bedded room. Each bed is shoved against a wall and there is just enough space for a person to squeeze between the beds.
They seem to have a shortage of sheets in the hotel, or just very short sheets as the mattress was not covered completely by the sheet,
Having a shower only bathroom I was not expecting the cramped little bathroom which is so small the toilet roll holder is almost on the floor.
The curtains in the bedroom were filthy and there was dirt trapped under the glass of the dressing table.
The best part of the stay was the breakfast which is really good plentiful and great variety.
I asked for a river frontage and the view was great.

Room Tip: Ask for river frontage!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments and photographs on this website.

I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer.

I appreciate your feedback regarding my Housekeeping department. The cleanliness of our rooms is really important to all of our team members, and there is a lot of passion and drive to get it right every time for our customers. I feel on this occasion we must have got this wrong, and I apologise this was the case. I have passed your comments onto my Head Housekeeper directly and we have reviewed your feedback. As a priority we will ensure that the essential training is carried out in order that this does not occur in the future.

I understand your comment in regards to the size of your room. The hotel was built in 1973, and the standard of hotel room layout has dramatically changed over the last 30 years. We have a fantastic location, but are limited due to the size of our building. I can assure you our newer deluxe rooms are larger in size (these were added in 1990).

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the excellent breakfast you enjoyed during your stay. This is certainly a product we are proud of.

We are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience and I hope to welcome you back in the near future to experience this for yourself.

Hamshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

My Wife and i stayed for a 2 night weekend break at this Hilton and to be honest for the money we paid (£160 per night) we were disappointed, i had hoped for something a bit better than we got from our stay.

The car park underneath the hotel was very handy and if you leave the car there and dont remove it during the stay you only get charged once a £15 charge.

The outside of the Hilton Bath is a very drab looking building and when you walk in to the front doors to be honest currently it doesn't get any better, they are refurbishing the bar area and there was big temporary walls surrounding the area. The temporay bar was a 'joke' and was in the restaurant area, we popped in for a beer, but as they didnt have any draft beers we decided to leave and go else where.... After our meal we deiced to brave the 'bar' for an Irish coffee, unfortunately they could not make an Irish coffee because they didnt have the equipment, but i could have a coffee, Irish whiskey and Cream, just not in the same receptacle ?????

During our stay, one of the lifts were out, so the queues at peak times seem to take forever, up or down, as you could fit comfortably 5 or 6 people in at a time. The stairs didnt seem very obvious or convient to our room on the 3rd floor or the lobby, so using the lift was the only choice.

We had a Queen 'Deluxe' Room and whilst there was nothing really wrong with the room, i assume it had been refurbished fairly soon, it wasn't very special, more like a Travelodge style room, very bland. The mattress was the sort of mattress that only Hilton in the UK seem to find, you sit on it and you basically end up on the base underneath. Yet when you lay down your weight does get supported and it was comfortable except when you turned over and the noise of the mattress creaking was very loud.... Why refurbish a room and not change the mattress ??

The room & bathroom were clean and that is one of the key plus points, but i wouldn't expect anything less from the Hilton.

The breakfast in the morning was very nice, lots of choice and if you got there early and had a table next to the wonderful view by the river it was very pleasant.

All the staff at the hotel were very friendly indeed and nothing seemed too much trouble for them, they were a good attribute to the hotel.

Other than the make over that is going on currently there is nothing wrong with this hotel, its just very bland considering the city of Bath and the feel of the city.

There are some great restaurants near by so you will be spoilt for choice, two that we had was the Thai Balcony and the Raj Poot Indian restaurant, both were a very easy walk and service and food were really good.

Would i stay here again, yes, but i would not pay £160 per night for this hotel, i appreciate its in a very touristy city but i think there are probably nicer boutique hotels for that money in the city as well.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chunky-M0nkey
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the Hotel and our refurbishment programme. The location of the refurbishment was planned around our current business, to operate during reasonable hours (09.00 to 17.00 hrs daily, excluding weekends) to minimise disruption to our guests. I apologise for any inconvenience caused. I am now pleased to announce that the new Lobby Bar and Breakfast Buffet area is now open along with the launch of our new food and cocktail menu and I hope we can welcome you back in the future to enjoy our new facilities.

I was extremely sorry to read that you found your bed extremely uncomfortable. As part of our refurbishment programme all beds and mattresses were replaced. In order that I can investigate this further and address, I would be very grateful if you could forward your reservation details to my PA, Kim Thyer at kim.thyer@hilton.com. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff at Hilton Bath City and I was pleased to read you found us friendly.

I appreciate your comments regarding our location we certainly are fortunate with the central location and views of the River Avon and Pulteney Bridge from the rear of the hotel.

Falmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

If you are going to book this hotel and you are expecting a quiet night I would urge you to ask for a room away from the main road. Rooms facing the road are, although it's Hilton hotel, not sound proofed for purpose!

Great location and breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

We occupy a very central location, many guests comment how convenient this is. However, being a central location, in a busy city can have drawbacks such as perceived noise. We do allocate guests who specify quiet rooms in a river facing area that is quieter than at the front of the hotel.

I appreciate your comments relating to your breakfast. This is certainly a product we are proud of.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

The hotel is in a great location to explore Bath, the staff were very helpful throughout out stay and we appreciated being able to check in early at 12. Our room was fairly small but we had expected this as it is a city hotel. Although small the room had everything we required a large TV ,very nice bed and bathroom with a nice shower. I would definately stay here again if visiting Bath and will recommend it to friends.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I wanted to personally reply and thank you for your feedback.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to our hotel and I was extremely pleased to read you found our staff helpful.

We certainly are very fortunate with our central location.

amrb
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

A shame it's not got more personality (the 'corporate look' takes over somewhat) so if you're looking for something different this probably isn't for you. However, the staff were friendly and sorted out the initial problems with our room with grace and high quality customer service. Right in the centre of town it's perfect for a city break although the parking is expensive. The gym is really just a room with a few machines in it but it is open 24/7 and is perfectly adequate. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Sir/Madam

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton Bath City and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us we certainly are very fortunate with our central location.

I note your feedback regarding our car parking facilities. Following guest feedback we recently addressed our car parking charges and these were reduced a few weeks ago. Guests who do not require access to their vehicles during their stay pay a one-off charge of £15.00. Our Reception Team hold full details of alternative parking arrangements within the City for guests requiring use of their vehicle during their stay.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

We accepted an upgrade to a suite on arrival for an extra £10 which made our stay worthwhile.
Location is fantastic, you're literally a few mins from the Roman Baths, theaters and shops.
Best thing about this hotel is the convenience of having a car park downstairs. However if I hadn't travelled by car I would have loved to stay in one of the more English boutique hotels that don't have car parking.
We went during Xmas markets which were beautiful and gave Bath a fantastic Xmas vibe.
Breakfast at the hotel is great. There's a good selection.
Hotel is also quite baby friendly.
Service was top notch. You will find the most politest staff in England here.

• Stayed December 2010
Dear Sir/Madam

I was extremely pleased to read that you found the service top notch and found our staff to be the politest in England, I will ensure that your kind comments are forwarded to all the team.