“Find somewhere else to stay in this lovely city”
Review of Hilton Bath City

Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
“Find somewhere else to stay in this lovely city”
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This trip was a present for my wife for her birthday. I booked a Queen Size bed deluxe room with breakfast for two nights in December for the Christmas market. Check-in was easy and the staff polite. We got to our ‘Queen Size bed deluxe room’, my heart sank, it was a very small room with tired and dated decor (MDF with Walnut veneer, nice). However, a nice big bed. My wife tried not to look too disappointed. We went out for the evening and managed not to fall in the pool of vomit on the floor in the lobby however, my wife’s boots had a few splashes as a woman parted with the contents of her stomach. That night we had a terrible night sleep as the ‘Queen Size bed’ was actually two single beds pushed together which kept parting in the night! We were embarrassingly refused entry the restaurant at breakfast with the queue of people being informed were had not paid for breakfast, this disagreement continued at reception where I was challenged to produce the paperwork to “prove it”. When I produced the paperwork showing we had indeed paid for breakfast we were told it was not on their system but we could now have breakfast. I explained we were not happy with the room and was told queen size beds are two singles pushed together and indeed we did have a deluxe room. The receptionist offered to find us another room but the hotel was fully booked. My advice – if you can find somewhere else to stay in Bath.

Room Tip: try somewhere else!
3 Thank Andrew B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Beautiful view over river and beyond, good sized bed, clean, warm, comfortable room. Good evening meal in restaurant although not informed at reception of discount available if you pre-book at reception at time of booking in. Breakfast choice very good.
Unfortunately our room (402) suffered from the constant noise from the plant room(housed machinery) which we were adjacent to this droned on all through the night. We had particularly requested a room at the rear of the hotel to avoid the traffic noise at the front. One of the main functions of a hotel room is to provide guests with a reasonable if not good night sleep which unfortunately we did not get.
We were offered an alternative room at the front of the hotel but this was smaller, had a smaller bed and would have had the traffic noise so we kept our original room.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear have wonderful views and no traffice noise but don't accept room 402
1 Thank Couple95
Wales
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My husband booked this hotel as part of my birthday gift, so I feel a little guilty writing this! That said the hotel was certainly not what we expected, given the name. The hotel is in need of updating based on the reception area, dining room, corridors and the room in which we stayed. We were booked in to a 'Queen Deluxe' room NOT - the room was an average double room with two single beds hinged together (at the top, as the foot of the bed hinges were broken). Great gap in the middle that became a chasm during the night. We were refused entry to breakfast on the first morning due to poor communication between reception and dining room staff - what a fiasco! Totally indescreet and humiliating. On presentation of the booking form, this is when was made aware of the price.... WOW! not a deal and not good room rates. Location is great though and the weekend experience was fantastic - shame about the hotel.

2 Thank sallybWales
LA
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We spent 3 nights there, Domenika from the front desk was extremely helpful and friendly.
The room was spacious and clean, all perfectly arranged. Kettle with coffee/tea provided and cleaned daily.
The best of all is the location and value for money. The hotel was just a few steps away from shops and historical center and the rate was more than decent for what we got.
Will definitely come back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton Bath City and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your kind comments about the service you received from Dominika, I will ensure your kind comments are passed on.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Bath City.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Management need to get a grip of the cleaning staff as this is just horrid.

Food in restaurant OK, service fine, decor dated but not too bad. Overall acceptable but ruined by filth and dirt in an uncleaned room

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank ODonnell-Stephen
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I appreciate your feedback regarding my Housekeeping department. The cleanliness of our rooms is really important to all of my team members, and there is a lot of passion and drive to get it right every time for our customers. I feel on this occasion we must have got this wrong, and I apologise this was the case.

I would be very grateful if you would contact my PA, Kim Thyer, kim.thyer@hilton.com in order that we can discuss your stay further.

Hilton Bath City

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Wales UK
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Arrived on the 1st December for a pre christmas shopping and sightseeing break. Whilst the staff were not unpleasant, none of them seem interested to go out of their way to be friendly / helpful. Check in / out was very quick and simple.

The Hotel is right in the city centre and handy for all of the shops and sights. The Hotel has no Parking facilities as such but there is an underground public car park right next door. They will validate your ticket and it costs you £15 per validation. We didnt move our car for the three days we stayed so that was all that we payed.

We booked a Compact standard room and Compact and standard indeed it was . Have to say though that it was spotless and very comfortable, The bed was especially comfortable.
The room had a Flat screen TV, Clock radio, Iron, Hairdrier, phone & tea / coffee making facilities etc . but no safe

Breakfast was good with a big choice of a full cooked breakfast, continental, cereals, fruit & pastries etc.

The hotel has a nice bar which is quite expensive (alsmost £50 for three rounds of two double spirits during our stay) we could have got four bottles from the Waitrose which is literally right next door for the same price.But that's what hotels charge and anyway there are plenty of pubs nearby including two directly opposite the hotelubs

All in all we didnt go to Bath to stay in our hotel for the duration, and the Hilton fully met our needs. I would recommend this hotel as a base for sightseeing / shopping, and we would definitely stay here again if we return to Bath.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a main route into the city centre. Our room was at the front and you could hear the...
1 Thank NB34
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

Thank you for your feedback regarding my Receptionists. Customer service training is a high priority and this has become a focus with the Front of House Departmental Trainer. I appreciate your point of view and this in turn can be used positively in our training sessions.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the size of your room. The hotel was built in 1973, and the standard of hotel room layout has dramatically changed over the last 30 years. We have a fantastic location, but some of our rooms are smaller due to the size of our building. All of our smaller rooms have now been refurbished to a high standard to make the most of the size and maximise space.

Thank you for your comments regarding our bar. The Lobby Bar has just recently opened and is proving to be very popular with guests. I note your comments regarding our bar prices, these are set in line with our Head Office and other hotels in the area.

I was sorry to read your comments relating to the external noise. The hotel is very well situated in the centre of the City, such external noise is hard to control. We certainly are very fortunate with our central location and the views of the River Avon and Pulteney Bridge. However, being a central location, in a busy city can have drawbacks such as perceived noise. We do allocate guests who specify quiet rooms in a river facing area that is quieter than at the front of the hotel.

Launceston Cornwall
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We had a Christmas shopping weekend in Bath which was magical at this time of year. The Bath Christmas market was wonderful. The hotel was a base rather than anything else, but a very nice base. We had an upgrade to a lovely room overlooking the river with excellent facilities. The staff were charming and could not be more helpful. OK, the drinks were a tad expensive but it was great to come back in the afternoon to unload presents and have a very refreshing cup of tea before facing the crowds again, As a man who hates shopping, you could not ask for a nicer place to suffer than Bath!

Room Tip: Request an upgrade
Dear Sir/Madam

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton Bath City and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I will ensure your kind comments are passed to the team.