“Good location”
Review of Hilton Bath City

Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Fantastic location everything is in easy walking distance great if you need to go back to the hotel for anything. Booked a delux room what a let down. The room is no different to any other smaller chains average room expected alot more from this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed our central location we certainly are very fortunate.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the size of your room. The hotel was built in 1973, and the standard of hotel room layout has dramatically changed over the last 30 years. We have a fantastic location, but some of our rooms are smaller due to the size of our building. All of our smaller rooms have now been refurbished to a high standard to make the most of the size and maximise space.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed in the hotel as part of a rugby package, so you might expect that our focus would be on the hostelries, but not so. Checkin was fast, rooms preassigned to the group and ready for us even though we arrived at lunchtime. The room was clean and adequate for our needs. Staff were helpful in suggesting where we might go for some quick sightseeing and giving us details of local restaurants. The location of hte hotel, right in the middle of town, is a reat attraction. You can walk to all the major sights and if you want ask for a room with a view as the river aspect is impressive.

Because of inclement weather and packed pubs we watched some other Heineken Cup games in the hotel bar, with the added bonus of the Sky Sports team being there too so we could disagree on many things and enjoy the rugby in comfort. Breakfast the next morning was excellent, just what we needed before venturing forth to the Rec. The hotel provided a facility to leave bags and when we returned before departing for the airport, the loss of our ticket did not result in any fuss.

Its not a 5 star place, but then it does not hold itself out to be. If you want to stay in the middle of Bath, deal with pleasant staff and get value for money, then give the Hilton a try.

Room Tip: Ask for the river view
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to our staff. I am glad you found us helpful and you enjoyed the location of the hotel. We are very fortunate with the central location and our close proximity to Bath Recreation Ground for rugby fans.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Bath City.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Stayed here on boxing day night after visiting relatives in the area. I stayed in a plaza room which was actually very nice and clean but I was suprised that there wasn't a mini fridge.

The staff were very polite and helpful and there were no probems with booking or checking in/out.

The breakfast is average. A good selection but not great quality. If you buy films to watch in your room that charge £50 on your credit card and then refund it at the end. This seemed quite pointless to be honest and the staff member looked a bit embarrassed when they explained it to me.

There was only one member of staff on the bar in the evening which caused a big queue and caused some guests to give up and go somewhere else. Once we got drinks they were nice but overpriced - although this was not unexpected. The lack of lifts and the narrowness of the lifts is extremely annoying, they say they can fit 8 peope in each lift but this isn't true in reality.

However, the room was very quiet and very comfortable so I had a good nights sleep.

Overall I would say it as more like a 3* but it was still a pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor near the front and had no problems with noise at all, not even traffic nois...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear Sir/Madam

I appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff and pleased to read that you found them polite and helpful, I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the team.

I note your feedback regarding mini-bars. At present complimentary mini-bars are available in our 4 suites. Fridges are available upon request from our Housekeeping Department.

I was sorry to read that you experienced problems with queues at the bar. I have today raised this with our Bar Manager to ensure that adequate staff are available during our busy periods. Please accept our sincere apologies. Our bar prices are set in line with our Head Office and other hotels in the area.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

The location is great, the rooms are expensive but OK (although the beds are very hard, and the shower is pathetic). But what I had not expected was that the hotel would be completely full of coach trippers, staying for Christmas. The staff just could not cope with the numbers, nor could the public rooms. The bar was full, with Coronation Street turned up loud on the TV dominating the room on Christmas day, and rows of people watching, so the space for the rest of us was uncomfortable. The 2 lifts could not cope (most of the trippers were welll on in years, so all used the lifts, many had sticks and zimmer frames etc and things got crowded). Breakfast was a scrum, but difficult to get to the selfservice as it was so packed. Worst of all was the crowd of smokers immediately outside the front entrance - disgusting to push through. Most hotels designate a space for smokers away from the entrance. I had expected more from Hilton hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a quiet room at the back. Choose a room at the back so you can open your window without it be...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Firstly, we booked through last minute.com. When we called to confirm the reservation, the staff were decidedly unhelpful and kept saying they couldn't find the booking and we would need to sort this out with last minute. Finally we managed to get verification. Upon arrival, front of house staff were helpful and swift. The room, my gosh the room! Small, boxy and gauche to say the least. What type of 4* establishment doesn't have a mini fridge? Exasperating enough to be sure. Because of the festive season, they had private parties until quite late so you could hear the thump of loud music easing you into a fitful slumber. Room service allows you a £50 limit on your credit card which I personally have never encountered. There are only 2 elevators in this 4 storey hotel, we arrived on Wednesday and this was broken. We are still here and it is still broken almost 4 days later. That poor elevator cannot cope with the traffic, we took the stairs more often than not.

Rule of thumb for billionaire hotel magnates, if you yourself could not stomach your product/ service, others should jot be expected to. Interesting if the Hilton family would deign to stay in such a flea pit which charges as though it is a 4* hotel but is essentially significantly less than that? I invite Paris hilton to put her posh pooch in her cute purse and check out this hideous offering! Do not stay here people, the location is good, the service, the ambiance, the decor and the value for money are rubbish!

Room Tip: Nothing on the first floor, that's where the gym is so you get to hear the clank of machines. Hi...
4  Thank Scerene W
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This trip was a present for my wife for her birthday. I booked a Queen Size bed deluxe room with breakfast for two nights in December for the Christmas market. Check-in was easy and the staff polite. We got to our ‘Queen Size bed deluxe room’, my heart sank, it was a very small room with tired and dated decor (MDF with Walnut veneer, nice). However, a nice big bed. My wife tried not to look too disappointed. We went out for the evening and managed not to fall in the pool of vomit on the floor in the lobby however, my wife’s boots had a few splashes as a woman parted with the contents of her stomach. That night we had a terrible night sleep as the ‘Queen Size bed’ was actually two single beds pushed together which kept parting in the night! We were embarrassingly refused entry the restaurant at breakfast with the queue of people being informed were had not paid for breakfast, this disagreement continued at reception where I was challenged to produce the paperwork to “prove it”. When I produced the paperwork showing we had indeed paid for breakfast we were told it was not on their system but we could now have breakfast. I explained we were not happy with the room and was told queen size beds are two singles pushed together and indeed we did have a deluxe room. The receptionist offered to find us another room but the hotel was fully booked. My advice – if you can find somewhere else to stay in Bath.

Room Tip: try somewhere else!
3  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Beautiful view over river and beyond, good sized bed, clean, warm, comfortable room. Good evening meal in restaurant although not informed at reception of discount available if you pre-book at reception at time of booking in. Breakfast choice very good.
Unfortunately our room (402) suffered from the constant noise from the plant room(housed machinery) which we were adjacent to this droned on all through the night. We had particularly requested a room at the rear of the hotel to avoid the traffic noise at the front. One of the main functions of a hotel room is to provide guests with a reasonable if not good night sleep which unfortunately we did not get.
We were offered an alternative room at the front of the hotel but this was smaller, had a smaller bed and would have had the traffic noise so we kept our original room.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear have wonderful views and no traffice noise but don't accept room 402
1  Thank Couple95